Honda Fury Forums: banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2010 Fury and just bought a new ProStart battery from Pep Boys. Part# 14BS SKU: 9073900

I filled the battery per the instructions, but I missed the step that said to not seal the battery (with the sealing caps) before giving the battery it's initial charge. They want it unsealed for venting during the initial charge. Then seal it. Then put it into service.

So I sealed it then gave it the initial charge with a Battery Tender Jr. It's showing good voltage and I want to put it in service in my Fury, but am worried that I sealed the fill caps before initial charge.

Do I have anything to worry about? :confused:

Thanks!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. I'm not overly concerned, just worried. I just wanted some technical details on why the brand new AGM batteries want you to fill the acid, let it sit for an hour to vent, charge it (without the caps for venting), let it sit for an hour (to vent some more), then permanently seal it, then put it into service.

So I filled, vented, sealed, then initial charged it. The caps aren't bulging or anything - I'm just wondering if by not venting it during the initial charge, it can harm the battery or not be the most efficient charge (or shorten the life of the battery).

Yes I'm obviously concerned about the battery exploding - but I'm pretty sure that won't happen.

In closing, why does the initial charge need venting, but after permanently being sealed, going into service, and being recharged throughout the life of the battery, venting is obviously not necessary...?

·
Registered
728 Posts
Someone might run a large high amp charger on the battery for the first go round

or

Extra off gassing being produced once distilled water is first added

or both

·
Premium Member
6,191 Posts
Thanks guys. I'm not overly concerned, just worried. I just wanted some technical details on why the brand new AGM batteries want you to fill the acid, let it sit for an hour to vent, charge it (without the caps for venting), let it sit for an hour (to vent some more), then permanently seal it, then put it into service.

So I filled, vented, sealed, then initial charged it. The caps aren't bulging or anything - I'm just wondering if by not venting it during the initial charge, it can harm the battery or not be the most efficient charge (or shorten the life of the battery).

Yes I'm obviously concerned about the battery exploding - but I'm pretty sure that won't happen.

In closing, why does the initial charge need venting, but after permanently being sealed, going into service, and being recharged throughout the life of the battery, venting is obviously not necessary...?
Releases the initial built up gases that form during the initial charging cycle. If you didn't do it, it's not that big of a deal, but it's more for safety as those initial gases fill up the cavities quickly. You can remove them now if you'd like and recharge it, but the charge should hold as it is and it would be more for removing the gases.

Next time you charge a regular battery on a vehicle, remove the caps and you'll see it bubbling in there. Safety glasses please.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks again guys! Redspawn, you're an outstanding contributor to this entire site. Thanks for that.

So I'm sure I could remove the caps, but they seem to be intended for a permanent install.

Here are 2 pics for you guys:

The 9BS was the battery I setup correctly. The 14BS is the one for my Fury which wasn't vented during initial charge. You can see the caps are slightly bulged.

They're really not made to be removed - I don't even know how I'd remove them without damaging them. Any ideas?

·
Registered
728 Posts
Thanks again guys! Redspawn, you're an outstanding contributor to this entire site. Thanks for that.

So I'm sure I could remove the caps, but they seem to be intended for a permanent install.

Here are 2 pics for you guys:

The 9BS was the battery I setup correctly. The 14BS is the one for my Fury which wasn't vented during initial charge. You can see the caps are slightly bulged.

They're really not made to be removed - I don't even know how I'd remove them without damaging them. Any ideas?

If you want to be 100% safe, call the manufacturer or place of purchase

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
HA! $500 if you can even find their website... :rolleyes:

PepBoys in NJ is a mess - I don't even know if they can help. You're lucky to even get a cashier that's available, let alone someone technical with batteries. Maybe I'll read the return/exchange policy on the receipt to try to get another one...

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
From researching online, VRLA batteries have safety valves that pop if the pressure is too great (and you can see it in the pictures above).

VRLA battery - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Also, based on what Redspawn said about normal bubbling of the acid, I bet there's a normal amount of pressure expected in a VRLA battery.

They probably want you to vent during the initial charge because it's going to have more of a gas buildup then a normal top off. Same holds true for a near dead battery.

The seal caps also look like they're made to bulge slightly naturally and my 9BS, now that I look at it, has some slight bulging on those caps.

I'm putting it into service - I just wanted someone to say to definitely not do that and you guys seem not that concerned either.

Don't worry, I won't hold you accountable if I die. Just delete this thread! :D

Keep comments coming if you want. Still appreciate all the help.

·
Premium Member
6,191 Posts
From researching online, VRLA batteries have safety valves that pop if the pressure is too great (and you can see it in the pictures above).

VRLA battery - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Also, based on what Redspawn said about normal bubbling of the acid, I bet there's a normal amount of pressure expected in a VRLA battery.

They probably want you to vent during the initial charge because it's going to have more of a gas buildup then a normal top off. Same holds true for a near dead battery.

The seal caps also look like they're made to bulge slightly naturally and my 9BS, now that I look at it, has some slight bulging on those caps.

I'm putting it into service - I just wanted someone to say to definitely not do that and you guys seem not that concerned either.

Don't worry, I won't hold you accountable if I die. Just delete this thread! :D

Keep comments coming if you want. Still appreciate all the help.
Mess with batteries all the time, just please wear something on the eyes... Almost splashed myself once or twice without safety glasses a few years back, never again ... Won't explode, but don't keep charging the damn thing before you open it, that's a hint

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Premium Member
6,191 Posts
Oh, and if it looks permanently sealed, leave it... Read the instructions first next time ...............

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So get this.

The 14BS battery is too tall for the fury. It's not the right one. I got confused because the OEM battery is a Yuasa YTZ14S. So I thought 14BS was fine to buy.

That being said, I took the receipt, went back to PepBoys with the OEM battery to not make the same mistake twice, found the proper sized battery which is Part # 9BSFA SKU: 336325. Not Part # 14BS SKU: 9073900.

So they let me exchange it (they were both the same price) so there goes my acid fill ventilation concern :D

The 9BSFA is factory activated too so no acid fill worry. Just initial charge and go.

I know you guys are going to bust my balls about not doing my homework before buying a replacement battery - but lesson learned and resolved.

Ride safe fellas! :cool:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
New Battery for Fury

So there's a billion other posts about getting a new battery for the Furys.

The OEM battery is a Yuasa YTZ14S with specs here:
Yuasa Battery, Inc.YTZ14S

They're quite expensive and everyone is offended by the price. But it has 230 CCA and 11.2 aH.

The one I bought at PepBoys by comparison is only $89.99 Part # 9BSFA SKU: 336325 but it only has 120 CCA and 10 aH so there's your price difference.

So my battery won't be as strong for cold starts but I plan on keeping it well maintained (keeping the terminals clean and Battery Tender charging frequently). I'll let you know if going cheaper on the performance specs winds up disappointing or is totally fine as time goes on (and as the weather in NJ changes).

Our Fury battery sizes are quite small - it's the same size as my Gixxer battery. I feel like the smaller an AGM battery, the less service lifespan it allows. You have to stay on top of charging and cleaning to get the longest life out of them. I see a lot of guys complaining on this forum at how short the Fury battery lifespan is which is a shame for that near $200 OEM replacement price for that Yuasa. I feel everyones' pain.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts