Honda Fury Forums: banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Three years two batteries. Now I guess I'm ready for #3. The one that came stock lasted about 1 year or so. When looking for a replacement I was told the MOTOBATT MBTX9U battery was "the best motorcycle battery money can buy".So I bought one. On 5-5-18. The battery rating is 160 CCA (cold cranking amps), and 10.5AH (amp hours). So 20 months later now it's 2-20-20 and it looks like I'm up for another one. What is the best brand? I've heard about the Yuasa brand before. Also, some say a trickle charger will destroy some batteries. Is that true? How much trickle and when to use, if any. I know some batteries like to be discharged fully and recharged again, to help keep their charge. What's up with my battery blues? I've got a battery isolator cut-off switch with only the ignition wire (for odometer, and clock power) directly on the battery. Maybe I just got a bad Motobatt and should just buy another one. Or maybe they're only designed to last one year, planned obsolescence and all. Any suggestions? Does anyone ever modify to fit a slightly larger sized battery? Binford anyone? Just askin'

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Three years two batteries. Now I guess I'm ready for #3. The one that came stock lasted about 1 year or so. When looking for a replacement I was told the MOTOBATT MBTX9U battery was "the best motorcycle battery money can buy".So I bought one. On 5-5-18. The battery rating is 160 CCA (cold cranking amps), and 10.5AH (amp hours). So 20 months later now it's 2-20-20 and it looks like I'm up for another one. What is the best brand? I've heard about the Yuasa brand before. Also, some say a trickle charger will destroy some batteries. Is that true? How much trickle and when to use, if any. I know some batteries like to be discharged fully and recharged again, to help keep their charge. What's up with my battery blues? I've got a battery isolator cut-off switch with only the ignition wire (for odometer, and clock power) directly on the battery. Maybe I just got a bad Motobatt and should just buy another one. Or maybe they're only designed to last one year, planned obsolescence and all. Any suggestions? Does anyone ever modify to fit a slightly larger sized battery? Binford anyone? Just askin'
Update: Best I've found is POWERSONIC brand, PAL14ZSHY, with 250 CCA, and 12AH at $140.00. Fits Fury. Anything better before I bite?

·
Registered
2,796 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,184 Posts
Use the "search" function on this site and you will find lots of info about battery experiences and recommendations. I (and a number of others) opted to invest in EarthX batteries - No Regrets !!
EarthX.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
89 Posts
Since I purchased my bike used, due to the age (2010) for my piece of mind and safty I replaced tires, brakes fluids and battery shortly after getting it home. To keep within my budget price was a big factor for the battery. I'm not knocking the lithium and will switch in the future but for the time being I went with the "Battery Tender" agm. It was priced right, (think it was about $40) rated @300cca and 20ah. Have been running it a year now, never had the hot start issue however I have had slow crank when the temps are below 40*. Bike still fires up just takes a few cranks more then normal.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes. EarthX ETX36C. Won't have another battery issue ever unless it's bad from the factory.
Thanks everyone. Got a ETX36C on the way..... and for only $386.98! (with the $6.00 side mount adaptors added of course). I guess you get what you pay for. Not only do they fuck ya but they take a running start! Hide your brown eye.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone. Got a ETX36C on the way..... and for only $386.98! (with the $6.00 side mount adaptors added of course). I guess you get what you pay for. Not only do they fuck ya but they take a running start! Hide your brown eye.
What's the best charger to use so I don't wreck this new battery? Or can I just use the old one that works for everything else I own/charge. The ETX36C is a lithium battery and I'm assuming probably needs a lithium battery charger. What is the best brand to buy? Any difference between chargers? Anybody know? Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
1,184 Posts
I've had my EarthX for 3 years. When purchased, I wired in a quick connect for a charger/maintainer (planning for a TecMate ) but have never used it or needed it. Fires up first time, every time, no hot start issues. Lots of discussion on here about chargers too. Worth reading. Some members are strong advocates.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've had my EarthX for 3 years. When purchased, I wired in a quick connect for a charger/maintainer (planning for a TecMate ) but have never used it or needed it. Fires up first time, every time, no hot start issues. Lots of discussion on here about chargers too. Worth reading. Some members are strong advocates.
Like the old Tom Waits song "Step Right Up". Never needs winding, never needs winding.....

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
If you stick a bunch of stuff on the bike that has a constant draw, like a remote receiver for an air ride, receiver for lights, PowerCommander V, etc., the lithium battery gets drawn down over time. I put an SAE plug on for plugging in heated gear, accessories, and of course topping off the battery.

I did not buy a lithium charger, rather use a regular 2A charger that does not have a desulfation pulse, and only put it on for 1/4 hour when needed. That's enough to bring the charge level of the battery back up, and of course there's no fancy desulfation pulse to mess with the lithium battery's internal control electronics, so all good there (just make sure to set a timer so you don't forget to pull the charger off). I have a bunch of high-end charging equipment for other hobbies, it's just not needed here--simple works fine & fast, lithium batteries charge incredibly quickly due to the efficiency of the battery.

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
A note of caution: I charged up the lithium battery fully, connected it, and promptly blew a fuse. The current out-rush is incredible!

Put the battery in, then charge it (as to not overload the Fury's charging system), then start the bike.

Lithium batteries have a very low internal resistance, so will pull an incredible charge current, and supply an incredible discharge current (I pulled 320A continuous with no problem--don't do that! It's wayyyy too much for the internal terminal connections!) If the battery is low and you supply it 60A of charge current it'll take it and charge like a rhino hit by a cattle prod--don't do that either, the Fury's alternator can supply 30A continuous, about 15-20A is available for charging the battery.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Do you think it will need to be charged or can I just install it and fire up the bike? Also do I need to perform the re-learn process for the ECU that I had reflashed by Guhl Motors?

·
Registered
5,998 Posts
Do you think it will need to be charged or can I just install it and fire up the bike? Also do I need to perform the re-learn process for the ECU that I had reflashed by Guhl Motors?
It will come charged.

Performing an idle relearn may not be necessary, but it's free and easy so why not?

·
Registered
150 Posts
You
Yuasa YTZ14S it is my 2nd and has been great. i ride every day

·
Premium Member
1,184 Posts
Over the weekend I unwrapped my bike and rolled it into the sunlight. Hadn't been started since mid-November. Temperature was in the mid 30's. Turned the key and let it sit for a minute... clock showed correct time and normal speedo lights. Hit the start button and it fired up immediately... almost like it had been ridden yesterday. EarthX rocks!
:)(y)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts