Honda Fury Forums: banner

New Fury owner.

4K views 21 replies 14 participants last post by  Thorwald 
#1 ·
I've been looking for a bike for awhile now and settled on the Fury. I am hoping to custom it out a bit and have been loking into after market parts. The main idea behind the quasi-build is to make it a tribute, well, maybe that isn't the right word for it, but a bike to reflect my time in Iraq.

I was over there in 2005 and spent most of my time riding in a 1025 HMMWV gun-truck. I want to repaint the fenders and tank that sh*tty desert tan with black bumper numbers and tags. The sides of the tank would have the names of our lost comrades on one side with the bronze star and IOF campaign ribbons, and a mural of a lonely Iraqi road on the other.

In place of a front windscreen I'd like to try to replicate a gun shield. I am not even sure if such a thing is possible right now. I will put a short sissy bar on the back and aslo want to put the "Stay Back 100 Meters" sign, mounted on the back of it.

I'd like you comments and thoughts about this, if I could. Don't spare them, either. Harsh love is still love, baby.

Thor

#2 ·
Sounds great, a theme is probably the best way to modify your bike as you have a general direction to guide you to where you want to be. Gratz on the purchase bro, glad you could join us here!

#6 ·
The base color is black, so the frame won't need to be redone. That saves me some work. I plan on stripping the parts down and do most of the work (if not all) myself. I was gonna start this week but the temps have been below 0 since Sat. That is a bit too cold for me to work in the garage.

I am trying to figure out a way to replicate the rough finish of the CARC paint on the parts. Maybe a textured paint over the undercoat, then the rattlecan tan? The sides of the tank need to remain smooth if I am going to paint the side art.

The gunshield is going to give me the most problems.

#7 ·
Welcome aboard... There are alot of great members and military/war vets here from the Iraq/Afghanistan, so you are in a good place. I am an Iraq vet as well (03-04, and again in 05-06).

Colodrado Springs?? Fort Carson?? I was there with 3rd ACR

For paint, a member Easy E does alot of custom work. If you read his signature, you can see some of his work.

For Custom Sissy-Bars, member stay focused can bend a bar to your liking, for much cheaper than the standard Ginz sissy bar.

Just a suggestion and incorporation with your theme, I am assuming your gun truck was .50 cal. I am sure you can get black pipes that come out similar.. And guess what, a member MFR can make almost anything pipe wise you want.

Good luck, thank you for your service, and give us updates on your bike theme.

Paul

#12 · (Edited)
We rolled with .50s M240s, depending on the mission and location in the patrol. I wasn't planning on putting a gun on, no need to scare the crap out of the civilians.

[/QUOTE]

lol... the M2 .50 cal has a pretty easy to identify barrell. I was talking about making your exhauast similar to the barrell. Not mounting a gun on there...

#14 ·
Welcome to the neighborhood! You'll find a wealth of info here and a good number of guys willing to help you out with any questions you might have. It's awesome that you have a plan for your bike. Makes it a hell of a lot easier when you have a clear direction. And it sounds like a sweet idea. I'm diggin the idea for a gun sheild. Will look pretty wicked. I hope you enjoy your time here!

#18 ·
I've worked up a concept sketch that I'll try to post tonight. Can't upload images from work. It's just a simple paint program, but you will get the idea anyway.

#20 ·
I say do a moded version of the ginz sissy bar, then bag it with ammo cans mounted on the bar mount, build a windscreen to resemble the shield you like (Plexiglass and fiberglass or aluminum). I would just do a matte tan color (no rattle can it doesnt finish as nicely and can do funky stuff) with the stay back tag I would put a flame thrower pipe setup and run really long pipes to not melt the back of the bike to add to the show of it for when you can light it up. Black almost everything out like some of the matte grey's have done.

#21 · (Edited)
Hay Thorwald, Mental here. We have a new member named Abonet, cell 864-934-0346. He works for camtech customs, which is a co which does military vehicle refurbishment and lots of custom bike work. Hop on their site, check it out, then call. I am sure they would share some of their paint and other knowledge for what you are trying to achieve. Have a good night Sir.

#22 ·

Thanks for the comments, guys. Here is a real basic concept art. Yeah, paint sucks to do graphics. I'll have to have a go on Adobe CS later. The tan will be more a US Army desert tan than this pale yellow- but the tank art is sort of allong the lines of the ribbons seen beneath the torn fabric of the tan. The bumper numbers and stuff would be black stencilled. Still need to think about the gun shield art and the left side of the tank.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.