Honda Fury Forums: banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My first few lessons (and some remedies) about the Honda Fury:
I’m 6’3”, 215 lbs, with a 32-33 inseam. I’ve ridden a 1980 Yamaha XS400, 1982 Honda CB750C, 2004 Suzuki DRZ400S, and my first new Motorcycle and Cruiser, the 2020 Honda Fury.
  1. Gas mileage? 45 MPG is the best I’ve hit. If I want to dance with the girl I get more like 40-42. Maybe more like 38 some days if I had to guess. All I know is regardless that fuel light comes on quick. I will be doing longer rides and I don’t feel comfortable much past 120 miles. The math says 153 to a dry tank at 45 mpg. But my light comes on at about 115 mi. .66 gallons is your reserve so that leaves just shy of 30 miles on the calculator. But I don’t think I could do more than 120 miles at a time on this thing anyway.
  2. The stock seat sucks. I thought it felt nice sitting at the dealer but I was wrong within the first 30 minutes. I needed a passenger seat anyway so I got a C&C Sport Tour seat. It is slightly better...
  3. If you go with a C&C Seat I recommend you explore your options. I wish I had at a minimum added the Gel insert. They make their seats a 1/2 inch lower because of the seat pan design. I would have paid more if they would’ve added that 1/2 inch into the seat foam. There is a sweet spot in the seat that feels the most comfortable. But it’s hard for me to stay there for more than a few minutes. Another 1/2 inch would take the “cup” out and broaden the area to move around. Still, a great seat, great quality, and best looking one I’ve seen in the pictures. Corbin makes one almost identical but you’re gonna pay $200-300 more for it.
  4. The suspension needs to be tuned to you. Mine came dialed up for preload and the rebound setting was maxed out. I’ll save you the journey so far but at the moment I have it dialed about two thirds up with the rebound dumped to nothing. From what I understand I need to dial some rebound back in and it will help with the “action” of the suspension which might take some of the jarring out of my ass bone. The best I’ve found with the rebound setting I have is with about 3/4 -7/8 preload and a 80 - 100 lb passenger on the back. If I had a sissy bar to take the passenger “off” of me I could ride for over an hour at a time. I’ll have to revisit this when I find the sweet spot next riding season. The seat and suspension are a combo that have to be addressed at the same time to get this bike comfortable.
  5. The passenger seat kit is over priced! I lucked out and got the passenger peg mounts included with the bike. I got an open box Kuryakyn pegs from Revzilla for a great price and the pins from ACE. They don’t flip up and stay up but they function and look like they should. I got the C&C seat and pegs for about the same price it would have cost to get the Honda passenger seat kit and sissy bar. The reviews indicate that your passenger will need the sissy bar with the way the seat causes them to slide rearward. The Honda sissy bar isn’t compatible with the C&C anyway. I have my winter project to get my own custom Sissy Bar that will look way better. The Stock passenger seat isn’t rated well for passenger comfort anyway. My passengers seem comfortable enough on the C&C. Again, gotta get the suspension set right.
  6. TIRE PRESSURE MATTERS! SERIOUSLY! If that front tire dips a couple of PSI you’ll think the tire is out of balance. A couple of more and it’ll wobble on deceleration. That’s as far as I let it go before I learned to check the pressure before my rides. Once I got about a thousand miles on her they started holding pressure longer. If you get a new Fury pay attention to the tire pressures!
  7. My friends thought the Fury woulndn’t handle well. I figured it would be slow too. Wrong. This girls gets with it. I will have to replace my foot peg nuts soon. Once we learned to dance together Jen (my Fury’s alter ego) likes to be tossed around just fine. Granted, I don’t come from riding Gixxers, R bikes, or an H2. But the only time she feels combersome is in a parking lot. And it’s not because it’s hard to handle. She’s looooong. But when you get a feel for her she’ll surprise you. I was riding with a first gen Versys and he was shocked at how I ran the Fury in the corners and in the parking lot.
  8. She don’t like the cold. I live around Spokane, WA. If I haven’t started her in a few days and it’s below 40 I have to hang onto the start button. If not try it a second time. She’ll fire up but not what I expected with fuel injection.
  9. The exhaust pipe won’t clear an average curb. Scraped mine backing into a curb at an angle. Oops. No big tho, it’s on the bottom.
  10. I bought a tool bag and put it on top of the light. It caused one of the cables to rub the paint off of the triple clamp. It’s a small spot. I didn’t like the look anyway. I like to see that headlight out front. It’s a cheap one off Amazon I think and doesn’t fit right elsewhere without having to get more creative.
  11. The stock front foot pegs are restrictive. I’m used to being able to fidget and change positions. I’ve always been able to put my feet back on the passenger pegs if I needed to really change things up. The reach isn’t bad but there just isn’t much for options for seating position.

What I plan to do:
  1. Sissy bar with integrated LED lights. (This winter 2020-2021)
  2. Get rid of stickers and reflectors before I post anymore pictures here :)
  3. Contemplating a windshield for long rides that I can take off for daily riding.
  4. Floor boards or something like Kuryakyn’s multi position pegs.
  5. I like the looks of the Fury as it is. Even the Pipes. If I did do pipes I would prefer shotguns. Which, really don’t look that much different. I’m not into loud pipes but I might drill out the stock ones just to open the performance a tad.
  6. I think there are some great ideas for modding the air box. I think that and a K&N would be fine.
  7. Reflash to around 750 rpm idle after the typical engine/air box/exhaust mods are done.
  8. Kuryakyn Freeloader Sissy Bar Duffel
  9. Fuel Bottle mounted somewhere... is 10 miles of gas worth it though?
  10. Someday, order a new C&C that has the aforementioned adjustments.
  11. On the fence on some Apes. Thinking about 14 inch. But the current bars are such a part of the Fury’s personality.
  12. USB charger mounted somewhere clever.
Dream list:
  1. Air ride suspension.
  2. Shotguns
  3. Custom Paint
  4. Clean up the wheel casting deformities and repaint.
  5. Find a way to add .5 gallon or more fuel capacity in a clever way.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I’m 6’3”, 215 lbs, with a 32-33 inseam. I’ve ridden a 1980 Yamaha XS400, 1982 Honda CB750C, 2004 Suzuki DRZ400S, and my first new Motorcycle and Cruiser, the 2020 Honda Fury.
  1. Gas mileage? 45 MPG is the best I’ve hit. If I want to dance with the girl I get more like 40-42. Maybe more like 38 some days if I had to guess. All I know is regardless that fuel light comes on quick. I will be doing longer rides and I don’t feel comfortable much past 120 miles. The math says 153 to a dry tank at 45 mpg. But my light comes on at about 115 mi. .66 gallons is your reserve so that leaves just shy of 30 miles on the calculator. But I don’t think I could do more than 120 miles at a time on this thing anyway.
Congrats on your purchase and welcome to the forum.

Maybe I can help you with the fuel range since I have had multiple experience running out and pushing.

The Fury tank is widest at the top.

Be sure and fuel it up right to the bottom of the brim. Don't stop where you just see the gas level covering the inside tank.

I've made it 190 miles on a tank.

The sweet spot for maximum mileage and riding pleasure seems to be about 45mph on back roads.

Good luck.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Congrats on your purchase and welcome to the forum.

Maybe I can help you with the fuel range since I have had multiple experience running out and pushing.

The Fury tank is widest at the top.

Be sure and fuel it up right to the bottom of the brim. Don't stop where you just see the gas level covering the inside tank.

I've made it 190 miles on a tank.

The sweet spot for maximum mileage and riding pleasure seems to be about 45mph on back roads.

Good luck.
I’ve been pushing the fill ups but I’ll try that next time. I usually fill and ride a minimum of 30 + miles to get to home or work so I shouldn’t have any problems with expansion.

·
Registered
378 Posts
  2. The stock seat sucks. I thought it felt nice sitting at the dealer but I was wrong within the first 30 minutes. I needed a passenger seat anyway so I got a C&C Sport Tour seat. It is slightly better...
  3. If you go with a C&C Seat I recommend you explore your options. I wish I had at a minimum added the Gel insert. They make their seats a 1/2 inch lower because of the seat pan design. I would have paid more if they would’ve added that 1/2 inch into the seat foam. There is a sweet spot in the seat that feels the most comfortable. But it’s hard for me to stay there for more than a few minutes. Another 1/2 inch would take the “cup” out and broaden the area to move around. Still, a great seat, great quality, and best looking one I’ve seen in the pictures. Corbin makes one almost identical but you’re gonna pay $200-300 more for it.
  4. The suspension needs to be tuned to you. Mine came dialed up for preload and the rebound setting was maxed out. I’ll save you the journey so far but at the moment I have it dialed about two thirds up with the rebound dumped to nothing. From what I understand I need to dial some rebound back in and it will help with the “action” of the suspension which might take some of the jarring out of my ass bone. The best I’ve found with the rebound setting I have is with about 3/4 -7/8 preload and a 80 - 100 lb passenger on the back. If I had a sissy bar to take the passenger “off” of me I could ride for over an hour at a time. I’ll have to revisit this when I find the sweet spot next riding season. The seat and suspension are a combo that have to be addressed at the same time to get this bike comfortable.
  5. The passenger seat kit is over priced! I lucked out and got the passenger peg mounts included with the bike. I got an open box Kuryakyn pegs from Revzilla for a great price and the pins from ACE. They don’t flip up and stay up but they function and look like they should. I got the C&C seat and pegs for about the same price it would have cost to get the Honda passenger seat kit and sissy bar. The reviews indicate that your passenger will need the sissy bar with the way the seat causes them to slide rearward. The Honda sissy bar isn’t compatible with the C&C anyway. I have my winter project to get my own custom Sissy Bar that will look way better. The Stock passenger seat isn’t rated well for passenger comfort anyway. My passengers seem comfortable enough on the C&C. Again, gotta get the suspension set right.
  6. TIRE PRESSURE MATTERS! SERIOUSLY! If that front tire dips a couple of PSI you’ll think the tire is out of balance. A couple of more and it’ll wobble on deceleration. That’s as far as I let it go before I learned to check the pressure before my rides. Once I got about a thousand miles on her they started holding pressure longer. If you get a new Fury pay attention to the tire pressures!
  7. My friends thought the Fury woulndn’t handle well. I figured it would be slow too. Wrong. This girls gets with it. I will have to replace my foot peg nuts soon. Once we learned to dance together Jen (my Fury’s alter ego) likes to be tossed around just fine. Granted, I don’t come from riding Gixxers, R bikes, or an H2. But the only time she feels combersome is in a parking lot. And it’s not because it’s hard to handle. She’s looooong. But when you get a feel for her she’ll surprise you. I was riding with a first gen Versys and he was shocked at how I ran the Fury in the corners and in the parking lot.
  8. She don’t like the cold. I live around Spokane, WA. If I haven’t started her in a few days and it’s below 40 I have to hang onto the start button. If not try it a second time. She’ll fire up but not what I expected with fuel injection.
  9. The exhaust pipe won’t clear an average curb. Scraped mine backing into a curb at an angle. Oops. No big tho, it’s on the bottom.
  10. I bought a tool bag and put it on top of the light. It caused one of the cables to rub the paint off of the triple clamp. It’s a small spot. I didn’t like the look anyway. I like to see that headlight out front. It’s a cheap one off Amazon I think and doesn’t fit right elsewhere without having to get more creative.
  11. The stock front foot pegs are restrictive. I’m used to being able to fidget and change positions. I’ve always been able to put my feet back on the passenger pegs if I needed to really change things up. The reach isn’t bad but there just isn’t much for options for seating position.

What I plan to do:
  1. Sissy bar with integrated LED lights. (This winter 2020-2021)
  2. Get rid of stickers and reflectors before I post anymore pictures here :)
  3. Contemplating a windshield for long rides that I can take off for daily riding.
  4. Floor boards or something like Kuryakyn’s multi position pegs.
  5. I like the looks of the Fury as it is. Even the Pipes. If I did do pipes I would prefer shotguns. Which, really don’t look that much different. I’m not into loud pipes but I might drill out the stock ones just to open the performance a tad.
  6. I think there are some great ideas for modding the air box. I think that and a K&N would be fine.
  7. Reflash to around 750 rpm idle after the typical engine/air box/exhaust mods are done.
  8. Kuryakyn Freeloader Sissy Bar Duffel
  9. Fuel Bottle mounted somewhere... is 10 miles of gas worth it though?
  10. Someday, order a new C&C that has the aforementioned adjustments.
  11. On the fence on some Apes. Thinking about 14 inch. But the current bars are such a part of the Fury’s personality.
  12. USB charger mounted somewhere clever.
Dream list:
  1. Air ride suspension.
  2. Shotguns
  3. Custom Paint
  4. Clean up the wheel casting deformities and repaint.
  5. Find a way to add .5 gallon or more fuel capacity in a clever way.
That's quite a list. Will it start this winter?

·
Registered
378 Posts
Realistically... probably just the Sissy Bar and the reflectors. But a guy’s gotta dream.
Yeah, it really is a lot more fun to do it a little at a time. That way you can take pictures of the evolution of your ride. If I can make a suggestion, get the Low and Mean lowering spring and the 1" fork extenders. In my opinion that should be the first mod anyone makes. The ride is a 100 percent improvement and the stance is killer, parked or rolling.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts