Honda Fury Forums: banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
3,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well,
It seems that there aren't to many more things that we can do to our bikes?
I think a lot of us have seen all there is to see that is out there for our bikes.
People like MFR, Tony and some others have come up with some great mods and businesses like L&M still have a few things coming but for the most part what else can we do? GAS TANK!
Yes, I love our tank too but I think I might get one made or see if I cant get it modded out. I am thinking of going a 1/2 in fatter all around and also having it drop down an inch or two more then it is on the sides. Maybe more. Should also get well into the 4 gallon or close to 5 gallon range.
Just thinking about it. Nothing set yet.
What do You think? Ideas, negative comments, all welcome.:cool:

·
Premium Member
4,152 Posts
ARE YOU ON CRACK??? is that neg enough?

·
Registered
168 Posts
i was also thinking about modding the tank, but its beautiful, i think what i really want to do is have the tank come down further making it a bit longer, and getting a customized seat/pan to make the seat smaller/shorter but comfortable enough and finally a very custom steel rear fender to fit a 250 sumo-x kit. This will really set the bike off as a custom

·
Registered
130 Posts
I like the idea. Keep the same lines but with fatter, a little more bottom. Just enough to add about one more gallon. Extend the range a bit.
With a phat keister of the Sumo and a little larger tank would give the bike balance.
IMO

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Well,
I think a lot of us have seen all there is to see that is out there for our bikes.
People like MFR, Tony and some others have come up with some great mods and businesses like L&M still have a few things coming but for the most part what else can we do? GAS TANK!
Yes, I love our tank too but I think I might get one made or see if I cant get it modded out. I am thinking of going a 1/2 in fatter all around and also having it drop down an inch or two more then it is on the sides. Maybe more. Should also get well into the 4 gallon or close to 5 gallon range.
Keep in mind that if you do use your tank and get it "modded out", i read somewhere that our tank is $1100 to replace. Make sure whoever you're having do whatever it is you want done to the tank knows what they're doing and that they do quality work. Goodluck! Hope it turns out the way you like

·
Premium Member
295 Posts
I have to say I don't agree with this mod. I like the way the tank looks and plus I don't need it to hold more gas b/c my a$$ needs a break after 100 miles or so anyways:eek:. But if this is what you want then do it b/c its your bike and plus it would make it different...b/c I think we all want our bikes to be a little different then everyone elses. If you do it good luck and I hope it works out for ya.

·
Banned
622 Posts
i think your on a good track... the fury is a good base bike but so many r now coming out and w/2011 here and the new ones getting stocked 2010 models will be getting cheaper so more on the street now......i really dig the 1800s tank and i think it be awesom to see a hybrid of the fat 1800 with our elongated lines .... make the bike appear fater specially with a 250 rear ... i say do it and then lets see it....our opinion is cool but if your hear t and wallet can do it hell yeah.....

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
Well,
Hey its your bike, if you want it go for it. You can get tank shells without tunnels which if you have a little sheetmetal experience you can bend a tunnel easily, weld the mounting points up , tap outlets for Fuel line and whatever else is needed....

another option to possibly make it easier would be get a wrecked tank, cut the shell off to get a tunnel for a fury then weld a new shell on to it. With cutting between the mounting points and fuel pickup and adding sheet metal between there to give you the drop look you want then painting it to match. Either way its a decent amount of work and you gotta be pretty careful. (With the price of our tanks i wouldnt cut a good one.

to give you an idea would be using something like this, or modding a junk fury tank tunnel to make sure you have the right hardware for fitting the bike and alligned almost perfectly fairly easy.
Harley-Davidson Gas Tank Shells And Accessories

·
Premium Member
1,007 Posts
No way! When I sat down on that bike and looked at that stretched tank I was sold, but if you want to try something new, hey it's only a GRAND if you mess it up.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Nope, I won't touch mine! That tank is one of the best parts of the bike. I get compliments on it all the time and people think it is a custom tank already!

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Nope, I won't touch mine! That tank is one of the best parts of the bike. I get compliments on it all the time and people think it is a custom tank already!
I agree with BlueDragon; it's one of the most distinctive features on our bikes. I think you'd ruin the whole effect by bastardizing it. JMO.

Cheers

·
Registered
3,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I like the idea. Keep the same lines but with fatter, a little more bottom. Just enough to add about one more gallon. Extend the range a bit.
With a phat keister of the Sumo and a little larger tank would give the bike balance.
IMO
Good input everyone.
That is my thought exactly. I think it would look better if it came down a little lower. I agree that this is one of the best looking tanks out there.
As far as the tank sitting on our bike. I think it looks a little small. Long enough, yes. But I think the bottom needs to be dropped on the sides.
You could leave it the way it is at the seat and start a gradual drop 2 or 3 inches away from the seat point going forward.
If I did this it wouldn't be for a while.
I think I am going to go for it in the near future.

·
Registered
3,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey its your bike, if you want it go for it. You can get tank shells without tunnels which if you have a little sheetmetal experience you can bend a tunnel easily, weld the mounting points up , tap outlets for Fuel line and whatever else is needed....

another option to possibly make it easier would be get a wrecked tank, cut the shell off to get a tunnel for a fury then weld a new shell on to it. With cutting between the mounting points and fuel pickup and adding sheet metal between there to give you the drop look you want then painting it to match. Either way its a decent amount of work and you gotta be pretty careful. (With the price of our tanks i wouldnt cut a good one.

to give you an idea would be using something like this, or modding a junk fury tank tunnel to make sure you have the right hardware for fitting the bike and alligned almost perfectly fairly easy.
Harley-Davidson Gas Tank Shells And Accessories
I like that idea of getting a wrecked tank. Just keep modding it until we acheive the look then use my tank.
You gotta admit it would be nice to go 225, or maybe evn 250 miles without getting gas.
Good thinkin Imwright.

·
Premium Member
1,007 Posts
Stop to think of it, they told Christopher Columbus he was crazy too. :) So that being said, people may soon say "I'll be doing the Mrbyber mod over the winter". LOL

·
Registered
117 Posts
Hell I said something about looking into a Sabre tank fitting on the Fury about 2 or 3 months ago and didnt get near the response as this . The Sabre tank has the same lines just a little fatter and holds a gallon more gas , people thought I was an idiot or something .

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
I like that idea of getting a wrecked tank. Just keep modding it until we acheive the look then use my tank.
You gotta admit it would be nice to go 225, or maybe evn 250 miles without getting gas.
Good thinkin Imwright.
im thinking use the important parts like tunnel and hardware mount areas. from there you can shape your own, do a coffin style or buy a shell and use that. to "mod" curved surfaces would be near impossible unless you do an indent on sides or add trim which defeats your purpose.

if you use the entire bottom plane it will give you the arc of the oem tank you just wont have the sides and bubble on the front unless you find a close enough shell

1 - 20 of 63 Posts