Honda Fury Forums: banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The new speedo has been ordered, Wire Plus T-Bar 2.5" classic black face, chrome body ($229 on special at wire plus, normally $399).

What this means is that the handle bars have been designed and I will be starting work on them this weekend. They won't be ape hangers, they are illegal in Australia, we are only allowed 380mm from the seat to the grips max, I think my 2" risers just about make the originals illegal. Luckily the police here don't have time to read all the ADR regulations so you can push a couple of inches, just so long as your hands are below your ears your probably safe.

I like the feel and position of my original bars with the risers so the new bars will be very similar so as not to lose the original lines to much and grip position. I have taken the risers straight up though to make the front appear longer and have more of a chopper appearance (hopefully). All the wiring will also be internal which will clean it up even more.

The design looks like this, it has 1.5" risers, 1.25" bars & 1" control ends.

So what do you guys all think, not that it matters 'cause they are going on.

Cheers
Guy

·
Premium Member
2,482 Posts
Nice to see others with the balls to change the bars... Good on ya!

People seem willing change the fenders, drop the suspension, black out the engine, replace the pipes, change the air cleaner, paint the side covers, mod the turn signals, install forward controls, change the mirrors, change the grips, replace the seat, change the wheels, install a chin scoop, add a radiator cover, chop the rear substructure, install a fat tire kit with fender struts, re-paint the whole bike... and then say the bars are sacred!

Keep posting pictures with updates!

·
Registered
309 Posts
This is almost exactly what I have in mind, so I love it!

I intend to have more of a drag style having them come almost staight out from where your's begin to angle back. That is if and when I get to it.

Cant wait to see pics!

·
Premium Member
801 Posts

People seem willing change the fenders, drop the suspension, black out the engine, replace the pipes, change the air cleaner, paint the side covers, mod the turn signals, install forward controls, change the mirrors, change the grips, replace the seat, change the wheels, install a chin scoop, add a radiator cover, chop the rear substructure, install a fat tire kit with fender struts, re-paint the whole bike... and then say the bars are sacred!

Awesome absolutely awesome LOL

·
Super Moderator
4,476 Posts
Very nice design. The overall appearance looks very cool and something that looks like it belongs on this bike. The speedo is a very nice added touch that fits nicely. Looking forward to viewing your finish project. Nice Job!

·
Registered
119 Posts
The new speedo has been ordered, Wire Plus T-Bar 2.5" classic black face, chrome body ($229 on special at wire plus, normally $399).

What this means is that the handle bars have been designed and I will be starting work on them this weekend. They won't be ape hangers, they are illegal in Australia, we are only allowed 380mm from the seat to the grips max, I think my 2" risers just about make the originals illegal. Luckily the police here don't have time to read all the ADR regulations so you can push a couple of inches, just so long as your hands are below your ears your probably safe.

I like the feel and position of my original bars with the risers so the new bars will be very similar so as not to lose the original lines to much and grip position. I have taken the risers straight up though to make the front appear longer and have more of a chopper appearance (hopefully). All the wiring will also be internal which will clean it up even more.

The design looks like this, it has 1.5" risers, 1.25" bars & 1" control ends.

So what do you guys all think, not that it matters 'cause they are going on.

Cheers
Guy
Looks great man! Keep up the good work and keep us informed...

Mattias / MTL Custom Bikeparts, Sweden

·
Premium Member
3,454 Posts

personally, I think it's all about "free will" that we ride in the first place. We're different. We ride motorcycles. We're the real road warriors considered by some to be rejects on the planet Earth.

Trust me; there's enough juice amongst the membership to buy just about any mod that strikes our collective fancy.
We just haven't made it to the bars yet--hey, maybe some of us like them, as is.
jmo, dude.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks all, looks like they get more approval than the Ape Hangers :).

Fact number one though; the original bars are great, look nice and fit the bike perfectly. There are 3 main reasons I am replacing them:

1. The original bars are in keeping with the original foot pegs, they have been made on a budget, just check the bends. Honda couldn't even bend them with out the shrinking, I hate this and cheap poor workmanship.

2. They cannot be modified to take internal wiring (properly), especially when risers are fitted, if you did manage it they would probably need re-chroming.

3. The speedo (in my humble view) is much too big for a chopper and with the risers is very high. I believe that less is more on this bike or any chopper.

Did I say three, maybe four ...

4. There are now 3 or 4 of these bikes in town and I want to have a bike that is as "individual" as possible, that means the bars must go as they are easy to replace and are a major change to the bike.

I will post more photos as they get built, hopefully get all the steel cut to length today and purchase the 1.5" solid bar to start turning down the ends that go thru the triple trees.

Cheers
Guy

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Okay, managed to get all the steel pieces together today thanks to Redback Choppers.

You can see in the photo how the 1.25" fits in the 1.5" and the 1" fits in the 1.25" pipe. These are fairly good fit and you have to remove the internal seam weld to get them to slide together.

The solid ends will be turned down to fit inside the 1.5" tube about 1.5" and have a 1" UNF thread long enough to go through the top triple tree and get a thin nut and washer on. It will also have a 1/2" hole drilled right through the center to allow the cables to come out. These are just scrap off cuts from a local engineering shop.

Okay it will be about 4 or 5 days before I can get the bending and cutting completed ready for the next post.

Cheers
Guy

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey, things are happening faster than expected. Managed to cut the risers at 45 degrees, its about the same temperature here, 40 degrees celcius, bit hot for working actually but it ain't going to get any cooler for a few months.

Also went back out to Redback Choppers and bent the two pieces, same angle exactly as on the Fury bars. Just have to make a template and grind the ends of the 1.5" pipe back about 2 - 3" where it meets the 1.25" pipe to give it a smooth 3D in relief look.

Hopefully have another update on Wednesday if all goes to plan.
Cheers
Guy

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, all has gone to plan and I have progressed to the next stage. Spent the last two nights on a 4" angle grinder, flat and rat tail files and coarse emery paper shaping the tube over sections that join the bars to the riser section.

The photos will explain it better than words .....

They turned out okay, IMHO, about 2 hours spent on each side. These sections will be internally welded to each other and then silver soldered or braised just to fill the fine gap around the edge so that when chromed they will look like a solid piece. Also the chrome plating will not go in this fine gap so if it is not sealed they will rust.

Just the triple tree mounts to turn up now and drill out the 8 degree trees to a 1" hole to mount them. Hopefully this will be done by the end of the weekend.

Cheers
Guy

·
Premium Member
6,195 Posts
Looking good bro, can't wait to see it all together!

·
Registered
318 Posts
I was originally not a fan of the computerized mock ups.... But after looking at them... I like it... Good job. I cannot wait to see what they look like on.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Next stage is done, took a bit longer than I thought but they are coming along okay. Had to modify the 45º cuts at the top of the risers as it didn't look right. Have cut them at 30º and now they run back horizontal. Also had to twist each of the short raised sections about 20º to get the tongue to run down the top of the bars.

Machined the mounts and ran the die down them last night, 1" UNF with a 15mm hole right through the center for the wiring.

Hopefully have these 1" mounts welded in tomorrow afternoon and I can then pull the top triple tree off and drill out the mounting holes to 1". Still waiting for the speedo so hard to progress much more without it.

And of course (specially for RSS) a picture of them in a mock up so you can nearly see the finished product.

·
Premium Member
6,731 Posts
Wow, now that really looks good!

DJ, there was quite a discussion on here last winter about the bars and different options. Unfortunately, there is no other options really unless we fab our own. Which, I ‘m not capable of. I would love to see a more aggressive set of bars, they I would take the plunge.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts