Honda Fury Forums: banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I grew up with dirt bikes and rode my dad's '82 Honda Custom CB 900 to little league games all the time. I have always wanted my own bike and now have the means to get one. I LOVE the look of the Fury and have sat on one a few times. I'm 6'3" so I like that it has forward controls.

I just got my license after taking the Beginner Safety Course. I scheduled a test ride for late tomorrow afternoon. If I like how it rides, I will buy it then. My dad, being a Honda owner is happy I'm considering a Honda since his '82 still runs like a champ. However, he keeps bringing up the fact that the steering will be more difficult. I don't plan on taking hair-pin turns at 80 mph either though.

Should I be concerned as much as he is? I plan on riding this bike for many years but after hearing about the steering so much, I don't want to find out 2 years from now that I made a mistake.

Any advice?

·
Premium Member
1,956 Posts
this was my first bike, turns fine... its not raked out crazy just enough to make it look mean. buy it, mod, it, love it but most of all ride it.

·
Premium Member
6,195 Posts
this was my first bike, turns fine... its not raked out crazy just enough to make it look mean. buy it, mod, it, love it but most of all ride it.
+1 first bike too... turns fine... not like a shorty girl bike, the sportster or rebel, but definitely more nimble than you'd think it'd be...

·
Premium Member
1,636 Posts
Been riding since 1994 but this is my first non crotch rocket. I love it. Of course I do still have my CBR so best of both.

·
Premium Member
4,749 Posts
+3 this is my first bike also, you'll be fine since you have been riding before and also took the basic riders safety course, that's all I did and I do fine. You'll probably find being 6'3" that you'll need aftermarket forward controls though and expect to pay like 700 for those. Welcome to the forum, lots of good information and good people around.

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
I think that is what your dad means, you are not going to do hairpin turns at any speed. It has a long wheel base and raked. You just have to get used to it. It is a cruiser, not a speedo. Think of tight turning, a Volkswagen, now a Cadillac. Just get it if you like it. 99.999 percent sure you are going to love it! Would like to see you take a intermediate course and defiantly buy video on INTERNET, Ride Like a Pro, to help you understand turning on bigger bikes. He teaches highway patrol how to handle bigger bikes. Good Luck, stop by anytime, we will always have time for you. Plus, it is a great community here. Look around! See Ya!

·
Premium Member
702 Posts
I have been riding since I was 15 (13 years). This is the largest bike I have owned. It rides great and I have had no issues with turning it. I live in North East Georgia and ride in the mountains alot. I have never had any trouble with the turning. Just watch for loose gravel, sand, leaves, etc. Don't drive dumb and watch the cagers and you will be fine.

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
Heres my 2 cents.

I rode dirt bikes 20+ years ago. Any street riding was done on a dirt bike. I recently took a riding course here in NY, and havent looked back. Im 6'3" @231 #s ( today, before dinner ). I have Accutronix forward controls on the way, hopefully installed this weekend. I find that i feel cramped with the stock pegs.

As far as turning, im still a little on the iffy side. Im 250 miles in .. and every day i learn and lean a little more. Something else to consider, these are cruisers. Best riding is 45 - 55 MPH. I find that anything more then that and your getting blown around on the bike. I would say that a major contribution to this is because im such a large frame. I have very broad shoulders, so riding a cruiser is like a sail on a boat.

After the nerves settle down, and you get into riding, there is nothing like it. You can find peace ( but keep an eye out for all traffic everywhere ) by cruising. Nothing like a nice ride home after driving a truck in the city all day. Something else i have noitced, personally. 2 things you can get by riding vs. driving a 4 wheeler. Temp differences while riding in the shade, and the smells. Riding around here, there are restuarants everywhere, and each smells better then the last. Cut grass and rides near sweet shops. Its really cool.

Good Luck, and enjoy responsibly.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Magnum... I started out on a Honda XR350 and a YZ125... My first street bike was a Kawaski 900 and a Yamaha 750... I stopped riding for about 15 years and then bought the Fury... This bike handles like a dream. Just take it easy and you will do fine. Take Mentals advise and get the video and enroll in the intermediate class once you have a little time to get comfortable on the bike. When picking a bike it is important that you feel comfortable on it as soon as you sit on it... whether it feels heavy when holding it up... you feel sturdy when you are on it... Just my little advise... Enjoy the search for your bike and look forward to seeing you on here.

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
^^ as the other CB pointed out, the bike will feel heavy just sitting on it. Once you get going, the forward motion and and your center of gravity will take over.

·
Premium Member
13,593 Posts
dont back up now.get your bike and listen to the folks on this forum and you should do fine.best way to get in the water is jump in with both feet.good luck.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I agree with what eveyone above says. This was my 1st bike also and at first I took a couple of corners wide.....like CBSimonsez, "After the nerves settle down, and you get into riding, there is nothing like it".

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts
5th Bike

Magnum its not soo bad!!! FLOP IS NON FACTOR WITH FURY, SOLID HIGH SPEED RESPONSE GREAT FOR A CHOPPER, the geometry is great for a bike 108" long, its a STRETCH, as I call it!
This is my 5th Motorcycle.
You may want to start or get you street license with another bike, if you dont have one yet.
I started on a Yamaha 100cc enduro and my first real street bike was a 1st Yamaha 400 special, bought it in the summer of 1987 and got kicked out of house for it!
I rode around with a blanket on my legs at night that fall, anyway sorry I digress.
2nd, ARMY BIKE!!! Yamaha 600 Seca
3rd Honda Nighthawk 750
4th Yamaha VMAX 1200

Funny how I lean more with the Fury than any other bikes I have owned so thats me...If I dont she wants to pull out of hard curves or S curves. But nothing scary.
Bike before Fury was a 2001 VMAX, I took last DMV test with it, aced driven with it, it wasnt easy passing with that bike and sold it for the FURY, big difference in V-twin and inline 4, power band is short and fat with the Fury IMO.
Get one YOU WILL LOVE IT!:D:cool:

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Hey guys. I grew up with dirt bikes and rode my dad's '82 Honda Custom CB 900 to little league games all the time. I have always wanted my own bike and now have the means to get one. I LOVE the look of the Fury and have sat on one a few times. I'm 6'3" so I like that it has forward controls.

I just got my license after taking the Beginner Safety Course. I scheduled a test ride for late tomorrow afternoon. If I like how it rides, I will buy it then. My dad, being a Honda owner is happy I'm considering a Honda since his '82 still runs like a champ. However, he keeps bringing up the fact that the steering will be more difficult. I don't plan on taking hair-pin turns at 80 mph either though.

Should I be concerned as much as he is? I plan on riding this bike for many years but after hearing about the steering so much, I don't want to find out 2 years from now that I made a mistake.

Any advice?

Your problem is going to be keeping your Dad off the bike. All steer a little funny when you are sitting on the rear and he is driving.:D

·
Registered
405 Posts
I think what your dad is scared off is the Flop factor that most choppers have. Like the guys said Honda did a great job and this is not a problem. I heard the same things before buying mine. All i have rode was nija 250, cbr 929, cbr 1000. after test riding the fury i loved it instantly. Road in and out of parking lots weaving at slow speeds and had no major flop factor. Its a great bike and YOU WILL LOVE IT. Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
12,253 Posts
I agree with what eveyone above says. This was my 1st bike also and at first I took a couple of corners wide.....like CBSimonsez, "After the nerves settle down, and you get into riding, there is nothing like it".
This is my 4th bike and I took a few wide turns when I first got it. :D It does corner a bit different than any other bike I've owned, but definitely not anything you can't get used to. I think it can turn ALMOST as fast as any other cruiser. You just have to learn how. ;)

Buy it! Ride it! Love it!

·
Premium Member
5,715 Posts
This is my 4th bike and I took a few wide turns when I first got it. :D It does corner a bit different than any other bike I've owned, but definitely not anything you can't get used to. I think it can turn ALMOST as fast as any other cruiser. You just have to learn how. ;)

Buy it! Ride it! Love it!
Same here....the bike is well balanced and has a low center of gravity, but it is longer than most, and it has a wider rear tire...so it does corner a bit differently than most regular bikes. But like everyone has said, with a little practice, particularly at slow speeds (and I do have that video "Ride Like A Pro"), you will get a feel for her and be more at ease....

When I got mine, I got it from a dealer approximately 60 miles from my house. There was a Home Depot next door to the dealer and I first went to that parking lot and got a feel for her cornering and handling at slow speeds in that parking lot....probably spent 15 minutes in it just getting to know her...and, like most others here, over time with each ride, I got to know her a little better and felt more comfortable in heavy traffic. Primary thing was to sharpen my awareness of the bike and the surroundings....

Bottom line is, you'll enjoy her and you might have trouble keeping your Dad off of her as well! :) You won't regret getting one, just don't get stupid on it. The bike has a lot of lower end torque - which translates to immediate response on the simplest, smallest twist of the throttle at start up and low speeds....if you have someone on the back, tell'em to hang on!:eek:

Lots of good people and good advice on this forum....get the bike and join our group here!!:cool:

·
Premium Member
3,454 Posts
Keep the head moving on the highway. The guys are being straight up with you: trust no cager. Use your safety course info and you'll be fine and practice the turning until you're confident. I felt the same as your dad; i went from a Honda Aero to the Fury.
Frankly, the Fury turns easier and is more fun to drive.

Cruising speed for me is 60mph. The engine sound just rox at that speed!

Remember, it is a long bike, and long bikes want to flop over if they're not moving; so keep the bike moving thru the turns and touch your rear brake softly (only on smooth, dry roads) to manage the turns and accelerate at the same time.

·
Registered
230 Posts
it's my first bike too... i'm still a little too timid on it, but i'm getting better. my main problem is making left or right turns from a stop sign... and slowing down too much for a turn.

i need to go hit the parking lot and practice some more... without actually "hitting the parking lot." :D

1 - 20 of 23 Posts