Honda Fury Forums: banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey all, new to this site and new to riding in general. I took the safety course and got my cycle license and I am in love with the fury. I guess what i want to know is what is the general consensus on this being my first bike? I heard all the horror stories of dropping, fender benders, etc., I think that since the fury is only 1300 cc it wont be overwhelming but since most of you own one, how would a new rider handle it????? Thank you

Also, please recommend some good riding gear....I am thinking one of those modular type helmets (whole face lifts up)

·
Registered
31 Posts
almost anybike would be a good starter bike if you use common sense and know your limits.The fury is a very easy bike to ride that wont get you in over your head.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I'm a lot like you.. it was only a month ago that i've never rode a motorcycle in my life, besides some goofin around on a dirt bike up at the cabin.
I took the riders course at the local tech college and bought a fury as my first bike ever. The only thing you need to take into consideration is that the furys dont turn as sharply as a lot of the other street bikes, and no where near as sharp as crotch rockets or crossover bikes. But they still turn smoothly and easily, so don't let that scare you.... some of the custom choppers with a rediculously long rake or an extra wide tire would be a lot more difficult to manuever.....
so as long as you take your corners nice and slow until you get a good feel of how the fury handles....everything else is smooth as silk in my opinion...

·
Registered
373 Posts
I have been riding my dad's '83 Honda V65 Magna since November. I also took a riders course. one guy told me if you can hold the bike up you can ride it. I am looking hard at the Fury. Gonna test ride one next week in Charleston, weather permitting.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I'm a lot like you.. it was only a month ago that i've never rode a motorcycle in my life, besides some goofin around on a dirt bike up at the cabin.
I took the riders course at the local tech college and bought a fury as my first bike ever. The only thing you need to take into consideration is that the furys dont turn as sharply as a lot of the other street bikes, and no where near as sharp as crotch rockets or crossover bikes. But they still turn smoothly and easily, so don't let that scare you.... some of the custom choppers with a rediculously long rake or an extra wide tire would be a lot more difficult to manuever.....
so as long as you take your corners nice and slow until you get a good feel of how the fury handles....everything else is smooth as silk in my opinion...
I can confirm what Raven mentioned about the turning. This is my first bike as well and it is very easy to ride. I have a little bit of trouble taking sharp turns, but nothing too serious. Just have to take them a little wider than most. I'm getting better and better the more I ride, but everything else about the bike is cake. You will love it!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Do you think the turning is good enough to avoid road debris or danger in general? Some choppers to me are dangerous b/c you can't make quick moves.

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
It does like to go straight but I can avoid obstacles usually with a weight adjustment. Also, with the turns: I'm finding if I move my weight forward and sit more upright through the turn I can take sharper turns. I'm talking slow 90 degrees or from a stop. I've got 2400 miles on it now and am just starting to get a real "feel" for it. Once you understand the nuances it handles surprisingly well.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I think the Fury handles better than my VTX 1300, though the X corners a little sharper.
I fully agree. Sorta. To me the Fury corners a little sharper esp. at slower speeds. It reminds me of riding a dirt bike at slow speeds (in the sense of ease of handling) and it gets solid at highway speeds.I traded my '06 vtx 1300 c in on the Fury 3 weeks ago. I loved the VTX. Bought it brand new in 06 and loved every mile I put on it. I actually had trouble bringing myself to trade it off (sob sob) but now I'm glad I did. It reminds me of riding a dirt bike at slow speeds (in the sense of ease of handling) and it gets solid at highway speeds. I'm a little guy, 125 lbs, and of course I don't put a lot of weight on the suspension so even set soft, it bounces me around slightly. But overall, still a smoother ride than the X. The 5 extra in. in length really makes a difference!! I been riding since I was 7, from dirt bikes and cruisers. I've owned 4 cruisers since i was 19 (I'm now 28) Had an old 450 Rebel, a 500 Vulcan, a 750 shadow spirit, the vtx 1300 c, and now, number 5, the FURY!! And of all the bikes I've ridden, I feel safer and more comft on the Fury than any of em!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts