Honda Fury Forums: banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Both my sons have Harleys and want 2 ride with them, but I like the Fury but I have never driven a motorcycle at all! Can drive stick car easily, do you guys think that Fury is too much for first bike??? Thx Mike

·
Premium Member
6,195 Posts
This is my first bike and I can tell you it is a joy to ride. There are some things to be wary of, like the turn radius at slower speeds, but besides that... this is actually an easy bike for anybody to get used to and is a great bike for beginner's to expert's to ride.

I actually bought the bike without knowing how to ride and had my friend drive it the 1/2 mile home for me. That weekend, I went out and took the beginner's course (I recommend that for anybody starting on bikes) and only got 2 classes into it, canceled my third class, went home, grabbed the bike and went to a parking lot and practiced the rest of the next day. It's an easy bike to learn on and you'll look cool doing it!

Now that I am more experienced I can truly say this bike is a great ride and will bring you lot's of happiness, it still brings a grin to my face every-time I ride it!

·
Registered
146 Posts
Both my sons have Harleys and want 2 ride with them, but I like the Fury but I have never driven a motorcycle at all! Can drive stick car easily, do you guys think that Fury is too much for first bike??? Thx Mike
If you are used to riding other bikes the fury is a little different, since you haven't ridden any other bikes it don't matter. The fury is a pretty easy bike to ride though you have to be careful on the slow turns and stuff. Real easy to get used to...since getting used to riding the fury, I think it is easier than a lot of other bikes I have ridden. Be careful and have fun.

·
Registered
835 Posts
The Fury is my first bike as well. I am 48 years old, female, and had never ridden a motorcycle before. Like the others, I highly recommend you take a Motorcycle Safety Course. It is a great course and you get to learn how to ride on a small 250cc motorcycle. I took it a step further and went back to take an intermediate course (same class but on my bike) due to getting use to the turning radius. Get what you like and just take it slow. Wear protective gear and have fun!

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Ive been riding all my life and when I first pulled out from the dealer I felt a huge difference. It was the longer rake and took a few corners to get used to. Now I throw it around like a sport bike. Handles great on corners. You dhould definitely take a riders course though. Get the feel for it before getting into traffic. Dont feel intimidated by it and you will be just fine. Never too late to ride! Have fun and enjoy.
**Also you dont "drive" a bike you "Ride" a bike! lol

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
You should not only get a Fury for yourself, you deserve it, but also to show your sons the way to the future, and that the old man is still smarter, tho they will be a little jealous with all the attention you will get. Definitely take a riders course and intermediate, get the CD, Ride like a Pro, available on INTERNET for $29.95. This will teach you how to ride bigger bikes and slow turning maneuvers. Also study apex of turns on INTERNET, and practice in parking lot. Sounds like a lot, but it is not. It is an enjoyable adventure. So get to it old man. Also plan on getting a louder set of aftermarket pipes for safety and for that kool sound, and also a C&C seat, Honda failed on this point. Back to CD, every thing you learn on CD can be passed on to your sons because even riders who have been riding for 30 years learn things that they thought they knew. Good Luck, Mental

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thx, guys for all the help!! Those brats say that it doesn't sound like a Harley that it sounds like a quad! Who gives a f%$#! They will be jealous of this 53 year old man when they ride it!(if I let them) they will not let me ride theirs too afraid??

·
Premium Member
6,195 Posts
Thx, guys for all the help!! Those brats say that it doesn't sound like a Harley that it sounds like a quad! Who gives a f%$#! They will be jealous of this 53 year old man when they ride it!(if I let them) they will not let me ride theirs too afraid??
Just put a pair of Samson's or louder on it, that'll shut them up... ;):cool: Harley's don't even sound like Harley's either until the state governed pipes get taken off for aftermarket pipes... Proven by my quiet friend that bought a Harley here in California... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
Im partial to the Fuggin Vipers ... mine definately sounds better then a H.D.

This is also my first bike. I used to ride dirt/trail bikes years and years ago. I went to a local riders course and they helped me be a better rider and gain my license. Im now 650 miles in, and i love going for a ride, even if its around the corner. There is nothing like a cruise to help you take your mind off the every day BS.

Keep in mind, FATHER KNOWS BEST!

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
Yep, get a pair of Samson Warlord 2 Slashers, that is if your neighbors approve, or Viper 2s, or Cobra Swepts, then you have the option of baffles in or out. Prefer out. Not only will you make your sons jealous, it will make them crazy. Everywhere you guys park your bikes, people will be looking at yours and not theirs. Let them sit on it, OK, but ride, I would just say, SORRY SON, THATS MY BIKE!---- MY BIKE!

PS Order pipes yourself, then take the pipes in when they are preparing your bike for delivery. As a matter of fact I would order pipes first so you have them, and new gaskets, and then get your best price on bike, then say OK, but only if you throw in putting on some pipes I have. You save dealer markup on pipes, and free install!

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I was actually just having this same conversation a few days ago and I was explaining how I would totally recommend the Fury to learn on! The only thing that's a little scary is how much beef she has! My previous bike liked to cruise around 55 (an intruder 800) this bike seems to want to cruise around 70-75 :eek: (I can't help but love it!!)

Just ride smart and you'll do great on this bike! (And get allllll the attention! :cool: )

·
Premium Member
3,454 Posts
ditto on everything the folks just said.
safety course.
pipes.
c&c seat.
plus, if you're under 5.10", get a Cannella riser.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
You can buy some Morton Inferno's and they will not want to ride next to you any longer on the right behind you... LOL

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
The bike sounds like a quad from the dealer, put a nice set of pipes and it still sounds somewhat like a quad. Im thinking swapping the intake will help a bit with that pitch though (still waiting to do mine). Either way the bike is a honda, you dont see too many ever broken down, you will get about 45 mpg on it, and it looks way cooler than a harley. My reactions i have caught when people really look at it are: who built that, nice, and either a good "Thats a Honda!" or a bad one.

Whatever it is though thing that matters most is its your bike, make sure your happy with it and you use it. For cost there isnt a whole lot that actually compete with it though for a 1300ish cc bike and EFI, the shaft drive is alot less maint. unless you go with something much more cliche looking

·
Premium Member
6,195 Posts
The bike sounds like a quad from the dealer, put a nice set of pipes and it still sounds somewhat like a quad.
That's because you have only heard your set of tips goofball... Sounds like a motorcycle when you put some real pipes on it ;)

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
That's because you have only heard your set of tips goofball... Sounds like a motorcycle when you put some real pipes on it ;)
I got full pipes (they are very similar to the sampson warlord's too), Its the way the suction is coming through the oem intake i think. I heard the cobra's at the dealer and wasnt impressed by their sound. They sound different from a quad when you put pipes on, but there is a slight bit of that sound still there which is why im thinking its the intake. My shadow sounded like a quad until i got pipes and intake

·
Premium Member
6,195 Posts
I got full pipes (they are very similar to the sampson warlord's too), Its the way the suction is coming through the oem intake i think. I heard the cobra's at the dealer and wasnt impressed by their sound. They sound different from a quad when you put pipes on, but there is a slight bit of that sound still there which is why im thinking its the intake. My shadow sounded like a quad until i got pipes and intake
Hmmm, don't remember it sounding like a quad before I got the intake replaced... weird, sounded about the same to me... Nice deep roar to it... Maybe on the top end of the rev cycle it get's a little winded, is that where you are saying it sounds like a quad?... cause the lower end of the rev cycle does not?...:confused:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts