Honda Fury Forums: banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
I wish they would let me get a total knee replacement. But docs say no. Multiple I've gone to. I'm 36. Pain every day, it's brutal.
I believe you have to be a certain age before you can have a total replacement. Maybe the docs are afraid you'll wear it out IF done too early in life. I know my doc said that to me when I had mine done at 61. Sorry for what you are going thru but for the last 6 years prior to my replacement, I worked at a USPS package processing facility. Going up and down ladders and working on the processing machine after 'suffering' a sideswipe by a cage while on my bike. Strong enough to break off my Harley carb, which my knee was resting against. Needless to say, my right knee ligaments were ALL torn. (AND I was TOO YOUNG for a replacement at the age of 55).

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
Tore a Meniscus 6 months ago finally got in to have in done. Just have to get over the healing part now. And yes the fury is great therapy. The bouncing doesnt always feel great but u have to do what u have to do. l am not ready to get them replace just yet lol doesnt sound like fun. What l just went through wasnt fun but total replacement has to be alot worse.
Okay, I’ll add my old fart post here. Turned 67 in August, and ride with an old rusty tin man knee also- from my 30 yr past surgery. Riding the Fury seems timeless, and I can be whatever age I want. Every man needs a toy, and purpose. The Fury must match my personality, lol. God bless everyone riding one, and keep on truckin! 🍺

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
I believe you have to be a certain age before you can have a total replacement. Maybe the docs are afraid you'll wear it out IF done too early in life. I know my doc said that to me when I had mine done at 61. Sorry for what you are going thru but for the last 6 years prior to my replacement, I worked at a USPS package processing facility. Going up and down ladders and working on the processing machine after 'suffering' a sideswipe by a cage while on my bike. Strong enough to break off my Harley carb, which my knee was resting against. Needless to say, my right knee ligaments were ALL torn. (AND I was TOO YOUNG for a replacement at the age of 55).
Yeah I know all the theory around it since I've done a lot of research on it.
Each person does a certain number of "cycles" per year with their knee. Someone in their 60's may do something like 1 million cycles per year. Someone in their 30's might double that number. Someone athletic/active/sports in their 30's might do 4-5 million per year depending. The STILL say that the materials are only meant to last around 15 million cycles. Which for someone in their 60's is 15 years. I know people that have gone WELL beyond 15 years though.

So for someone in their 30's that's active, it's likely the material would last <5 years. The procedure is super invasive since they basically have to lop the femur and tibia back and add the joint. They run out of real estate. They can't keep cutting back on those bones, because they really can only do it once. It's frustrating because that number they estimate for cycles is SUPER conservative. They pit it against the worst scenario for a person too (ie overweight, so maximum load bearing).

I can't believe still there hasn't been any advancement in materials. Like really, the only thing that SHOULD need to be replaced is the composite pad that represents the meniscus. You'd thing they could go in there with some sort of scope like they do to clean out cartilage, and just replace the worn out pad, if it ever does wear. Who knows what the advancement of knee replacements will be, but it seems to be moving way to slow for my liking, since I could have used this 10 years ago.

·
Registered
5,635 Posts
I wish they would let me get a total knee replacement. But docs say no. Multiple I've gone to. I'm 36. Pain every day, it's brutal.
My wife came up against exactly the same thing. The doctors kept saying she was too young for a full replacement. Eventually they did a half knee replacement, which they said should give her 10 to 15 years and then she will need a full replacement. I kept pushing the doctors for an answer as to why not just do a full replacement now and the best I could get out of them is that a knee replacement only lasts about 15 years and then the replacement will need to be replaced again. The doctors also say the second replacement is not as successful as the first so that's why they try to delay it as long as possible. Then a buddy of mine at work had both his knees done at 55 and his doctor says he should get more than 25 years out of the replacements. However the doctors told him he had to lose at least 25kg (55 lbs) before they would operate. Less strain on the new joint I guess.

It seems in Australia at least the doctors won't generally consider you for a full knee replacement if your under 60 unless you are like my work buddy and have totally shot knees and one step away from a wheel chair. Maybe you could get away with a half knee replacement so it might be worth asking the question to your doctors.

·
Registered
5,635 Posts
Yeah I know all the theory around it since I've done a lot of research on it.
Each person does a certain number of "cycles" per year with their knee. Someone in their 60's may do something like 1 million cycles per year. Someone in their 30's might double that number. Someone athletic/active/sports in their 30's might do 4-5 million per year depending. The STILL say that the materials are only meant to last around 15 million cycles. Which for someone in their 60's is 15 years. I know people that have gone WELL beyond 15 years though.

So for someone in their 30's that's active, it's likely the material would last <5 years. The procedure is super invasive since they basically have to lop the femur and tibia back and add the joint. They run out of real estate. They can't keep cutting back on those bones, because they really can only do it once. It's frustrating because that number they estimate for cycles is SUPER conservative. They pit it against the worst scenario for a person too (ie overweight, so maximum load bearing).

I can't believe still there hasn't been any advancement in materials. Like really, the only thing that SHOULD need to be replaced is the composite pad that represents the meniscus. You'd thing they could go in there with some sort of scope like they do to clean out cartilage, and just replace the worn out pad, if it ever does wear. Who knows what the advancement of knee replacements will be, but it seems to be moving way to slow for my liking, since I could have used this 10 years ago.
I was typing while you were posting this. There is a guy in Melbourne Australia that replaces the meniscus. There are a lot of conditions to be met for this operation to be considered such as no degeneration of the surrounding bones (joint) so if you have some level of arthritis you may be out of luck. A lot of sportsmen have this done and they are mostly under 40. Maybe you can find someone in the US who does this now you know it can be done.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
I was typing while you were posting this. There is a guy in Melbourne Australia that replaces the meniscus. There are a lot of conditions to be met for this operation to be considered such as no degeneration of the surrounding bones (joint) so if you have some level of arthritis you may be out of luck. A lot of sportsmen have this done and they are mostly under 40. Maybe you can find someone in the US who does this now you know it can be done.
I think about my only option to this point would be the stem cell route to try and recover/re-grow the missing cartilage. Since yeah I've had arthritis (it's basically wearing a groove into my knee) since my mid-late 20's. I've looked into a PKL as well and was told they won't do that either.

I've bought so many sports cars for orthopedic/sports surgeons at this point you'd figure my punch card was full for a freebie...

·
Registered
2011 Fury
432 Posts
I think about my only option to this point would be the stem cell route to try and recover/re-grow the missing cartilage. Since yeah I've had arthritis (it's basically wearing a groove into my knee) since my mid-late 20's. I've looked into a PKL as well and was told they won't do that either.

I've bought so many sports cars for orthopedic/sports surgeons at this point you'd figure my punch card was full for a freebie...
I’ve heard really good things about that treatment. I saved some of my kids cord blood for things just like that.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I feel ya krash I tore my right knee mcl 3 years ago and the docs keep sending me for physical therapy…. 🤦‍♂️ Which only makes it hurt and swell more so I stopped that abs decided to just deal with the pain for now….
Thats what happened to me my doc sent me to physical therapy 1st went 2 times n l told the therapist there is something else wrong with it. The therapist said ok released me back to my doc and said he needs to get an mri not just an x-ray like it was. The mri came back that it was torn n that was it. The surgeon l picked was from one of my customers went to him for knees n hip replacements n couldnt say enough about him n his team. n he worked with athletes for 25 years l do believe. Called my ins to make sure he was in my network n he is. The ins said you got yourself a good surgeon he is rated at 100% so far l agree. Did u get a mri done? if so n there is proof of it being tore they have to repair it. Why it took me 2 more months after the mri to get done is because my doc was backed up for 2 months but he was worth the wait. If l was you l would go to another doctor n if you do not have an mri done get it. l found out that ins want to see proof 1st. if you have proof l cannot see them saying no to you. ACL is nothing to laugh about, l hope you try again n you will get results this time. Good luck too you!!! where do you live if its in AZ l can give you my surgeon phone# all you have to do is let me know.

·
Registered
53 Posts

Yes you are right about arthritis l was lucky my doc has 4 levels of arthritis stage 1 stage 2 stage 3 n stage 4 mine is a stage 2 so he did it. l forgot about the arthritis thing. Yes it sucks period. Good luck to you guys that have this lmhope everything works out.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
WOW you are real young too that sucks. I feel for you, l know the pain l had wasnt fun at all.
Lifestyle choice I suppose. Lots of extreme sports, lots of injuries, with a scope that "trimmed" too much meniscus during what was supposed to be just a clean up. Instead it basically unravelled from there.

·
Registered
2011 Fury
432 Posts
Yup MRI and multiple X-rays and still insurance wants me to do physical therapy…. Wtf do I pay so much money for??? I’ll get around to it at some point pain is manageable for the moment so I’m waiting to fix it. Yea me too with extreme sports… atv racing, semi-pro football, semi-pro handball, kickboxing,…. Etc etc etc

·
Registered
16 Posts
I've ridden Honda motorcycles longer than most of the members here have been alive. Right now, I ride an '84 Goldwing Aspencade, a 2005 VTX 1300R, a Shadow VT 1100, and an 07 Goldwing air bag model.
So, I understand that each year, model, etc. has their own quirks and issues.
When Honda first came out with the Fury, I fell in love with the looks, and have decided to pick one up.
What different sub models does the Fury have, and what are the options to each?
What year has the least problems?
In general, I'm looking to compare the good and bad with each year and model to know what to start looking for.
Thank you all for your help and suggestions.
Welcome Fromm Northwest Indiana.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I've ridden Honda motorcycles longer than most of the members here have been alive. Right now, I ride an '84 Goldwing Aspencade, a 2005 VTX 1300R, a Shadow VT 1100, and an 07 Goldwing air bag model.
So, I understand that each year, model, etc. has their own quirks and issues.
When Honda first came out with the Fury, I fell in love with the looks, and have decided to pick one up.
What different sub models does the Fury have, and what are the options to each?
What year has the least problems?
In general, I'm looking to compare the good and bad with each year and model to know what to start looking for.
Thank you all for your help and suggestions.
My 2019 has had no issues except driver error requiring some shop time.ive seen an older fury that I would have sworn was a stateline as fuel tank looked bigger but guy swore it was stock fury. I thought fury was same for last 10 years in looks buy maybe..

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
My 2019 has had no issues except driver error requiring some shop time.ive seen an older fury that I would have sworn was a stateline as fuel tank looked bigger but guy swore it was stock fury. I thought fury was same for last 10 years in looks buy maybe..
No bigger tanks on the Fury since they've been out. There are some guys that have widened the tank, but none come like that from factory.

All I've done to my 2011 is regular maintenance. Went from the horizontal to vertical fuel filter element before it became an issue.

I suppose I can say that I had a clutch that grabbed in first gear and made it a bit sketchy to start out because it would basically "slam" even if you released the lever slowly. I ended up going in and fixing that permanently. I think it's an issue that potentially gets worse over the years because of the oiling design through the hub body (or lack thereof)

·
Premium Member
13,741 Posts
I am 75 and have had a Laminectomy on my lower back (four disc), both eye cataracts, both total knee replacements and a 4 way heart bypass this year. Still going strong on 16 and 20 year old knee replacements. Just be sure to get the best doctors you can find. Keeping your own parts is great if they are good but I would be in a wheel chair because mine were bone on bone and they were drawing 260 units of fluid out of them every week. Glad I did it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I got my first dirt bike when I was 13. I'm pushing 67 now, and through that whole time, I can count on one hand, the number of years I haven't ridden.
I started riding motorcycles in 1958 so that's just about 62-63 years.. I've had more motorcycles than I can even remember And I'm still riding to this day on my Fury which I love more than even my custom built Big Dog.
I understand about knee pain guys I took an AK 47 through my right knee in my 2nd tour in Vietnam and I've been living with that for more years and I want to remember.

But nothing except maybe father time will stop me from riding I may not ride as much as I used to years ago but I still love throwing my leg over my Fury and get the wind in my face and my feet up.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts