Honda Fury Forums: banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before i get flamed for not resolving this first with the vendor, i want to make it clear that this post is a question on how i should handle this prior to contacting them. I want to make sure im not being to picky.

Trees came to me polished to a mirror like finish, quick shipping. Thanks L&M and VTX Extreme. Thank you also for the group buy.

Here's my problems.

One of the 3" extenders looks like someone went at it with a chisel. Not scratched but whacked 7 times with a chisel and hammer. Bad enough to where it doesn't just catch your finger nail but one is sharp enough and protrudes enough to cut you. That without a doubt is getting returned. No question here, just a statement.

Now here's where i need input from you guys that have recieved these already. I want to get an idea of what "normal" is before i ask for any replacements. If my dillema is the norm then assume that's as good as it gets and press on.

Both my tree assy's have what we in the aircraft trade would call a concentrated wear point. Places wear an abnormal friction/wear event occured.

Basically my trees both have spots where something has rubbed, metal on metal, contained in a total area approx the size of a peanut. Both on the front face. It looks as if they were chaffing something during shipment. They seemed well protected in jumbo bubble wrap when i recieved them so that doesn't make sense.

It's minor enough that it can be polished then buffed out. But even for only $500 i expected that i wouldn't have to polish/buff out anything.

If i did it by hand without any power tools (like most folks) i would say it would take 1-2 hours.

SOOOO did you guys have to polish out any wear points on yours and also did anything else come to you f'd up?

Thanks, just trying to get my facts together before i call them.

·
Premium Member
6,195 Posts
Mine came in fine, although I did just send mine off to the chromers afterwards, but I still looked at them a lot before sending them off.

Go ahead and give them a call, the VTX guys, really cool and probably send you a replacement right away.

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
Although mine are polished, there are super fine scratches on the top of the top tree. I have already bitched enough about waiting over 5 weeks for them, im not going to bitch about some fine scratches that are just going to be chromed over any way.

When i say fine, i mean you need to look at them in the right position in the light to see the scratches.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I ordered a long time ago and not as part of the group buy, but everything was recieved in great condition. I however, managed to get a small scratch on the top of the upper trees during the instalation process due to putting it down carelessly on my workbench, so handle with care.

NOTE to all:

My 3" extenders did not have O-rings on them, and i did not catch that during instalation. This resulted in leaking fork oil out the joints and down the fork tubes while riding at highway speeds or hiting bumps etc.. I installed the O-rings from the stock caps, and the problem was solved.

·
Premium Member
6,195 Posts
NOTE to all:

My 3" extenders did not have O-rings on them, and i did not catch that during instalation. This resulted in leaking fork oil out the joints and down the fork tubes while riding at highway speeds or hiting bumps etc.. I installed the O-rings from the stock caps, and the problem was solved.
AHHHHHHHHHHH HAAAAAA, that is why mine is leaking on the right side... Thanks, duh... f'ing mother... geez. Sorry, I feel better now that I know what is wrong. Thanks for the tip on that, going to be installing my "o-rings" when I have time this weekend. Wonder if the new ones come with o-rings and we just didn't get them because of how early we bought them. Hope I still have the stock caps....

I could have sworn we put them on though... maybe I twisted mine in there... well, I'll find out one way or another this weekend.

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
One of the 3" extenders looks like someone went at it with a chisel. Not scratched but whacked 7 times with a chisel and hammer. Bad enough to where it doesn't just catch your finger nail but one is sharp enough and protrudes enough to cut you. That without a doubt is getting returned. No question here, just a statement.
SONOFABITCH! after reading this post, i went to look at mine again to make sure, and sure enough .. one of my extentions has 11 different little digs in it! It looks like on mine that someone put it in a vise? It has 9 digs on one side and 2 at the top further along the circomference at the top.

Im so disgused with L&M at this point, im just going to have the chromer grind them down and have them chromed. God help them if they send me the wrong cables.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here are the best pics that i could take. After hearing from you guys im starting to get pissed...:mad::mad::mad:

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
Yep, same kinda digs on mine, minus the one in the first pic towards the left. Im guessing that is the one that is sharp enough to cut. There are a couple that are close which lead me to believe that it was from a vise, but then some are random just like yours.

When you talk to VTX or L&M give them a good ass chewing for me. Every day that goes by makes me like them less and less, and right now its best i keep my mouth shut or some ones gonna end up crying when im done with them.

·
Premium Member
6,195 Posts
Here are the best pics that i could take. After hearing from you guys im starting to get pissed...:mad::mad::mad:
Why beat yourself up about it, just call Glen... seriously, he probably could have helped you out today and maybe even sent another one out... Probably closed now, but could have done this earlier.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Why beat yourself up about it, just call Glen... seriously, he probably could have helped you out today and maybe even sent another one out... Probably closed now, but could have done this earlier.
Im def going tell them i want another extender but wanted to see what was normal for the trees before i started bitching. No one likes a crybaby.

·
Super Moderator
4,476 Posts
Hey J.A.T.O sorry to hear it and I know its a pain the ass to have something like this happpen but at least its a purchase from L&M so the good thing is it will be taken care promptly and without any problems.

While on the subject of these tree's does anyone know if they ever resolved the issue of the center bolt being to long. I remember a few guys posting that the bolt given was slightly longer than it was suppose to be causing install issues. One guy had to cut the bolt and another one had a new bolt made while others had no issues with the bolt. Does anyone have any update of additional info. on this issue. Thanks

·
Premium Member
6,731 Posts
Dave, I thought that it turned out to be operator error of some kind with the install. Chris posted about it somewhere on here.

J.A.T.O., call them in the morning and I am sure they will take care of you right away.

·
Super Moderator
4,476 Posts
Dave, I thought that it turned out to be operator error of some kind with the install. Chris posted about it somewhere on here.

J.A.T.O., call them in the morning and I am sure they will take care of you right away.
Thanks Richard, Good to know. I must have missed that one.it.

JATO, other than a pain in the ass I wouldn't sweat it as far it getting taken care of. Chris is the greatest around at taking care of issues like this and making things right. I know first hand and even today I recieved a replacement intake on one I previously purchased with a slight blemish on it. Hell he even sent me a Tee shirt along with it. There is no one better and any time I had the smallest of issues he was right there to make it right with quick response and follow up of a true professional. I only wish we had others that would do half of what he does to go out of their way for us.
Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks Richard, Good to know. I must have missed that one.it.

JATO, other than a pain in the ass I wouldn't sweat it as far it getting taken care of. Chris is the greatest around at taking care of issues like this and making things right. I know first hand and even today I recieved a replacement intake on one I previously purchased with a slight blemish on it. Hell he even sent me a Tee shirt along with it. There is no one better and any time I had the smallest of issues he was right there to make it right with quick response and follow up of a true professional. I only wish we had others that would do half of what he does to go out of their way for us.
Good Luck!
Thanks Dave thats good to know. Im def going to call to get the extender replace but was uncertain about the scratches on the trees.

I guess basically im going to need a replacement of 1 extender and both trees. Considering that the box came with a bolt, bearings, 2 trees, and 2 extenders, that means only 43% of my order is f'd up....

·
Registered
3,409 Posts
Sad to hear that J A T O!
Just make sure you don't handle it like I would!!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts