Honda Fury Forums: banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am done with this whole Nitrogen is better jazz.
trying to find a tire center that has Nitro is like having diesel in the 80's. truck stops were your only sure way of filling up.

spent the better part of my morning drive scouting for Nitrogen and found one place--a Toyota dealer willing to sell it to me for $48--wouldn't discount it for two tires.

got my initial Nitrogen hit from a bike nite vendor. haven't seen him lately--dont' care.
you can argue the pro's and cons till your blue--Oh, and that whole argument about Nitrogen not requiring as much re-filling or pressure checkups is bunk.
I ignored my tires thinking I was ok--not so. Nitrogen leaks out just like air.

btw, if you decide to join my protest--decompress and fill at least twice to get as much Nitrogen out as possible. Not a critical thing, but, necessary.

ttfn

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts
I am done with this whole Nitrogen is better jazz.
trying to find a tire center that has Nitro is like having diesel in the 80's. truck stops were your only sure way of filling up.

spent the better part of my morning drive scouting for Nitrogen and found one place--a Toyota dealer willing to sell it to me for $48--wouldn't discount it for two tires.

got my initial Nitrogen hit from a bike nite vendor. haven't seen him lately--dont' care.
you can argue the pro's and cons till your blue--Oh, and that whole argument about Nitrogen not requiring as much re-filling or pressure checkups is bunk.
I ignored my tires thinking I was ok--not so. Nitrogen leaks out just like air.

btw, if you decide to join my protest--decompress and fill at least twice to get as much Nitrogen out as possible. Not a critical thing, but, necessary.

ttfn
IMO good for a SUV or heavy vehicles...:)
I filled my Caddy tires with it and four tires with special caps for me 45.00 at Cadillac dealer.

I did notice little to no pressure change with the tpm system. So the tires pressure is more stable all year, did it 1 year ago.

I got it for the wear issue each of the tires on the truck are like 150.00 tires only! So with rotation and nitrogen,(not supposed to heat up as much as air, internal heat), I hope to get over 50,000 miles....

Thought about it for the Fury but never bothered getting it done...:cool::D

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
I might just happen to have a cylinder of nitrogen in my garage... :D

·
Registered
370 Posts
Welding or gas supply house is probably the best option if you want it. If you want to over pay for it, stop by a local airport FBO. Most good airplane shops will have it on hand.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
You guys do understand that Nitrogen has exactly the same Thermal Co-efficient of Expansion as the stuff you're breathing right this very minute (Air), which is 78% Nitrogen, right? It's a so-called "Noble Gas", meaning that it's chemically inert, and therefore, has a zero oxyidation potential. Other than that, it is in no way superior to dry Air as a Tire-filling agent, but makes a great profit for the Tire Centers That can sucker you into paying for it. Can you say "Snake-oil Salesmen"? Anybody that gets sucked-in by the Nitrogen Scam must have slept-through Chemistry 101 when they were in college! Carry on...............

Cheers

·
Premium Member
702 Posts
Bar Fury either is the smartest son of a b*%$^ I have ever met or is completly full of s---. Since there are guys like RSS and Gar on here (yes I just grouped those two together) that will research and call BS on everything on this forum, I'm going with a smart guy

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
You guys do understand that Nitrogen has exactly the same Thermal Co-efficient of Expansion as the stuff you're breathing right this very minute (Air), which is 78% Nitrogen, right? It's a so-called "Noble Gas", meaning that it's chemically inert, and therefore, has a zero oxyidation potential. Other than that, it is in no way superior to Air as a Tire-filling agent, but makes a great profit for the Tire Centers That can sucker you into paying for it. Can you say "Snake-oil Salesmen"? Anybody that gets sucked-in by the Nitrogen Scam must have slept-through Chemistry 101 when they were in college! Carry on...............

Cheers
If what you say is true..:cool: And i will not argue cuz i dun wet 3 blcs t skrool why does every race team in the world use It ???..;)

·
Premium Member
3,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
blah blah blah. it's hogwash. you are still going to get 20-35k on your auto tires and 12-16k on your bike tires: with or without Nitro.
when is the last time you had moisture in your tires? or rusted wheels?
keep the little plastic cap on your valves, too.

they use it in NASCAR because it's no better or worse than regular air. and Parker-Hannifin pays mucho $$ to push their Nitrogen systems to the dealers!

heck, you're already at 14psi before you put anything in your tires anyway. rubber is not a solid. Nitrogen will leak. and you had better be checking your pressure young fella--

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
I heard about the nitrogen thing and never felt a need to spend $40 to fill 2 tires. I can pay .50 and still get the same effect.

·
Registered
364 Posts
there a plenty of tire shops around here that offer nitro. one such shop offers it for $7 per tire with tire lifetime refills free. as far as barfury's comment, what he says is correct, however, supposedly when you fill your tires with nitrogen you are filling it with a straight shot of nitrogen, so instead of 78% it's more like 98%. whether thats what happens or not is another story,but that is what you are supposed to be paying for. there are a few upsides to nitrogen, it's lighter, the molecules are larger than air (which supposedly helps with leakout), and it is less susceptible to hot and cold changes. if you use a gas mixture (like say 78%) you are going to still have that 22% that will be affected differently which will cause the snake-oil philosophy. Top fuel dragsters use Nitro in the rear tires because after 7000 horsepower pounding on the rear tires squealing across the pavement in a burnout, the heat generated from the burnouts would change the tire pressure and cause the rail car to run differently. so to eliminate the need to check the pressure between burnout and runs they use nitro which is much less susceptible to pressure changes due to heat. not trying to convince any one one way or another, but my wifes impala has had nitro for over a year and the car gets "slightly" better mileage, as well as it has already gotten better tire wear. additionally the car seems to accelerate more effortlessly. and i still have yet to have the pressure refilled. i changed my fury over to nitro within the first 200 miles, so i didn't have long enough to compare on it.

·
Premium Member
3,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
APPARENTLY...there are opposing schools of thought on that notion that the Nitrogen molecules are larger than straight compressed air.
it doesn't matter who's the biggest [molecule] because, eventually, as gasses will do, both are going to disperse through the seals and rubber.

Please do not give too little credence to that last statement: all gasses disperse. no rubber or plastic seal is going to contain them.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Like I said, I have a bulk cylinder of Nitrogen in my garage that I used for filling paintball tanks when I played all the time. If I ever spend the $60 to rig up a regulator to get it down to a 100ish psi output I will fill my car tires up to try it out and any member swinging through here can have free fills too.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
If what you say is true..:cool: And i will not argue cuz i dun wet 3 blcs t skrool why does every race team in the world use It ???
Primarily because bottled Nitrogen contains virtually no water-vapor, which has a TCE of ~800:1 in the 32ºF-to-212ºF range. Dry Air and pure Nitrogen vary in volume in direct proportion to the Absolute Temperature; double the Absolute Temperature and the pressure (inside the tire) will double, dis-allowing tire expansion, of course. In summary, the pressure excursions will have a smaller magnitude if the tire contains only dry gas, than if it has some moisture in it.

FWIW:

Dry air contains roughly (by volume) 78.09% nitrogen, 20.95% oxygen, 0.93% argon, 0.039% carbon dioxide, and small amounts of other gases.

BTW, typical service-station-type air systems don't have efficient water-vapor scrubbers on them, so using a service-station air hose will, most likely, put some water-vapor in your tires; not that it's going to make a hell of a lot of difference to your Fury.

Cheers

·
Registered
364 Posts
APPARENTLY...there are opposing schools of thought on that notion that the Nitrogen molecules are larger than straight compressed air.
it doesn't matter who's the biggest [molecule] because, eventually, as gasses will do, both are going to disperse through the seals and rubber.

Please do not give too little credence to that last statement: all gasses disperse. no rubber or plastic seal is going to contain them.
Never said it would never leach... helium will eventually leak from the solid mylar balloons...even though it will last and stay full 20 times longer than a latex balloon... nothing lasts forever. just the rate shouldn't be a rapid as with regular air.

·
Premium Member
3,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Never said it would never leach... helium will eventually leak from the solid mylar balloons...even though it will last and stay full 20 times longer than a latex balloon... nothing lasts forever. just the rate shouldn't be a rapid as with regular air.
I hear ya; someone suggested earlier that there was no need to check tire pressure as often.

You may not have to refill as often--but, you won't know that unless you check the tire pressure.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
.......there are a few upsides to nitrogen, it's lighter, the molecules are larger than air (which supposedly helps with leakout), and it is less susceptible to hot and cold changes. if you use a gas mixture (like say 78%) you are going to still have that 22% that will be affected differently...........they use nitro which is much less susceptible to pressure changes due to heat...........
Rick, I'm tempted to take you to task on several of the points you've made above, but it would serve no useful purpose, other than to piss you off and make me look like an obnoxious smart-ass. That being said however, a review of Boyle's Law of Volume-Pressure-Density relationships, and Charles Law of Volume-Temperature relationships would be instructive. FWIW.............

Cheers

·
Registered
287 Posts
I Have To Agree With Bar On This One... Why Waste Your Money On This... Really, If You Think About It, Unless Your Running Steel Wheels There Is Really No Harm If Moisture Is In The Compressed Air At The Gas Station... The Stock Wheels On The Fury Will Not Feel Any Effects Of Anything You Pump Into It. The Idea Behind Drag Racers And Nascar Running Nitogen Is Not The Tires Heating Up, It Is More Of A Saftey Thing. If A Fire Does Happen When The Tires Catch Fire, Pure Nitrogen Will Not Cause A Flare Up When The Fire Melts Thru The Rubber As A Tire Filled With Regular Compressed Air Might. I Am Not A Chemist But I Did Sleep In A Holiday Inn Express Last Night:D

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Actually, Helium will leak faster than Air, and Hydrogen even faster yet. It has to do with the relative sizes of the individual gas molecules; Hydrogen the smallest, Helium next, etc., etc., on up the Periodic Table. The reason we use Helium to leak-check High-Vacuum systems, instead of Hydrogen (which can pass through a much smaller hole) is that Hydrogen is quite flammable, and potentially explosive in high concentrations. FWIW............

Cheers

1 - 20 of 33 Posts