Honda Fury Forums: banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi fury fans!

Looking for some help and guidance again.

I have found a small oil leak from a small hole located in the very front of the engine head. It’s located on the front toward the left side, just behind the fake fins. I have no idea what the use of this hole is. But i sure would like to know.

I don’t imagine it’s there to cause an oil leak.
The above is the picture as seen through a mirror.
Below is a picture of a head i got from ebay just to make it clear.

At first, i thought my head gasket was blown but then i found this hole with a small leak.
I did just fog my engine for the winter by adding oil to the cylinders. Could it be related? Though i don’t think it should be.
Any enlightenment would be greatly appreciated.
thanks!
7ABE0C88-8866-4347-8AAA-AF88D3755398.jpeg
DB24BD0E-0ECD-4A67-9766-5C06D4CB4ADE.jpeg

·
Registered
379 Posts
I'm not positive, so don't quote me. That looks like a casting plug for threads and the aluminum could have been thin, or they got a little ambitious with the clean up at the factory. This motor is used on several different bikes with different mounting brackets. Try cleaning it out, maybe measure the depth of it. If it is just a blind hole, you could just put some JB Weld in it to seal it. It would be worth the time to research it though.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm not positive, so don't quote me. That looks like a casting plug for threads and the aluminum could have been thin, or they got a little ambitious with the clean up at the factory. This motor is used on several different bikes with different mounting brackets. Try cleaning it out, maybe measure the depth of it. If it is just a blind hole, you could just put some JB Weld in it to seal it. It would be worth the time to research it though.
Thanks for the response Furi15. I will have to do some further investigating on what that is. But it is definitely a through hole and looks deliberate. It doesn’t look to have any threads in it either. I had considered plugging it but was worried that it may cause problems.
It almost seems like an oil overflow, but i doubt that.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Thanks for the response Furi15. I will have to do some further investigating on what that is. But it is definitely a through hole and looks deliberate. It doesn’t look to have any threads in it either. I had considered plugging it but was worried that it may cause problems.
It almost seems like an oil overflow, but i doubt that.
Hedgehog said it's for the chain oiler.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
I’m still looking for the chain🤣
It's next to the blinker fluid reservoir;)

All jokes aside, I went outside and took a photo of mine for you:

This hole is normal. In manufacturing, there's a lot of oil galleys/ports that need to be drilled and connected and drills can't do their job around a radius, so there is a lot of cross drilling that can go on. NORMALLY from what I've seen (and I've designed some pressure port tools in my day) there is a plug or a blanking piece that gets adhered in there with a high strength glue, or a brass piece/fitting is plugged, IF it's not needed after manufacturing. But in this case it serves a purpose, to release vapors in the head or you'd get a lot of thermal expansion which could possibly crack the casting. Now I didn't look too hard, but a lot of times these vapor/moisture ports directly link to the spark plug area because you don't want any buildup in there...these ports allow that to drail

Now, there is no oil dripping from mine, but there is kind of a "dirty" spot underneath, reminiscent to a bit of carbon buildup The flash of the camera emphasized it. FWIW, I'm under the impression it shouldn't leak oil from there. It could be that a seal has been compromised internally. I would keep an eye on it. If it keeps leaking oil or gets any worse, it may be time to get in there and see what's causing the leak. I'd also suggest popping over on the VTX forums and see if there's anything similar to your situation. These engines are damn near the same, so if something has happened, the VTX guys have already been through it.

It's how I solved my lurching/jerking clutch issue.

Good luck and report back if you go down that route!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts