Honda Fury Forums: banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Changed my oil and filter today and the manual says 3.9 quarts to refill it to full mark on dip stick. well after l changed the oil n filter l put 3 quarts of oil in. started it left it idle for a bit shut it down, waited a couple of minutes and checked it n it was at the full mark. n the bike is sitting up right. So my question is how many quarts does everyone put in their bikes until its at the full mark on the dip stick. Thanks in advance

Steve

·
Premium Member
1,746 Posts
Did you remove both oil drain bolts?

·
Registered
463 Posts
Changed my oil and filter today and the manual says 3.9 quarts to refill it to full mark on dip stick. well after l changed the oil n filter l put 3 quarts of oil in. started it left it idle for a bit shut it down, waited a couple of minutes and checked it n it was at the full mark. n the bike is sitting up right. So my question is how many quarts does everyone put in their bikes until its at the full mark on the dip stick. Thanks in advance

Steve
Check it again. The manual is right.

·
Registered
555 Posts
BTW & FYI...

You do NOT screw down the dipstick !!

YW !

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well if l put in .9 more it will show way over full on the dip stick. but l guess if its way over full it will push oil out into the airfilter housing so l will keep checking it to make sure it stays clean. I know all the oil came out because I left it drain until it stopped dripping. When l filled it up l made sure the bike was stright up right. I do not understand it but it does say 3.9 quarts n I will go by that no matter what it says on the dip stick. I did notice when l started it up left it idle then shut it off and checked the dip stick right away it was down at the add mark with 3 quarts of oil in it like it should be. but l checked it again after a minute and it was right at full once oil settled and thats how it should be checked after shut down wait a minute or 2 before checking.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Well if l put in .9 more it will show way over full on the dip stick. but l guess if its way over full it will push oil out into the airfilter housing so l will keep checking it to make sure it stays clean. I know all the oil came out because I left it drain until it stopped dripping. When l filled it up l made sure the bike was stright up right. I do not understand it but it does say 3.9 quarts n I will go by that no matter what it says on the dip stick. I did notice when l started it up left it idle then shut it off and checked the dip stick right away it was down at the add mark with 3 quarts of oil in it like it should be. but l checked it again after a minute and it was right at full once oil settled and thats how it should be checked after shut down wait a minute or 2 before checking.
The oil filter will soak up and hold about 7oz's. Then check the oil level.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just checked the oil level again with 3 qts in it is still at full. So l went as far as putting 1/2 more in the engine, so that means l have a total of 3 1/2 quarts in it now its past the full mark n up to where the flat part of the dip stick meets the round part of the dip stick. I feel if it is low yet its still enough to lube the engine. It really sucks because l always like to have the oil level at full but l really do not know where full is. l just hate an engine that is over full. but again if its way over filled it will push it out into the air filter housing then l will know, if it doesnt then l will put 3 1/2 quarts at every oil change.

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
Maybe you didn't let it drain long enough. I have changed mine several times, always 3.9 quarts pulling the filter, both plugs, letting it run out for a while.

Reactions: Gizmo

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Maybe you didn't let it drain long enough. I have changed mine several times, always 3.9 quarts pulling the filter, both plugs, letting it run out for a while.
I pulled both plugs n bike was on its side stand n left it drain until the dripping stopped, then put both plugs in n then replaced the oil filter. then l drained the rear gear oil n when the dripping stopped then l put drain bolt in and then put in 4.4oz of gear oil in while on side stand n thats all it took, so that was right on. Then l stood bike up straight up n then put 3 qts of oil in then started it up left it idle for alittle then shut it down then l checked the oil right away n it was at the add mark, then l left it sit for a minute n checked the level again n it was at the full mark. So with 3 qts in it was at full. I changed it right from the book.

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
The manual states 3.7 litres of oil with a new filter and that is what I always put in. It's easier to work in litres and mils as there is no confusion between US and Imperial units.

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
The manual states 3.7 litres of oil with a new filter and that is what I always put in. It's easier to work in litres and mils as there is no confusion between US and Imperial units.
I had to do the conversion to be sure. 3.7l is 3.9 (US). I use the quart because the oil comes in a gallon container! Plus I am a filthy American

As to @STEVOZZ issue, I am not coming up with a good reason for the issue.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts

Steve
This may sound odd, but can you post a picture or two of your filler cap/dipstick?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
This may sound odd, but can you post a picture or two of your filler cap/dipstick?
the only way l can put photo's on site is if l can text them to someone on here n for him to down load them because my computer is old n doesnt handle photos anymore. and yes l thought of that too that maybe the dip stick could be wrong. but donot have anyone that has a fury near me to match it with. Again thanks for all the replys
I had 4 qts on my garage floor n only put 3 in n it was full after l started it I do not know what to say.

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
I had to do the conversion to be sure. 3.7l is 3.9 (US). I use the quart because the oil comes in a gallon container! Plus I am a filthy American

As to @STEVOZZ issue, I am not coming up with a good reason for the issue.
LOL........ As you might expect oil comes in 1 litre, 4 litre, 5 litre, 6 litre and 10 litre containers for "DIY" use in a metric country. Over 10 litres generally come in steel drums and I stay away from them because they are too heavy to handle on your own. The "genuine" Honda 10W30 oil I use comes in a 4 litre container so I always end up with 300 ml left over. Interestingly enough 4 litres of Honda oil from the parts dept of my local Honda dealer is cheaper than anything I can buy from the major auto parts stores even when they have a sale. Seems impossible as experience and logic tells you the genuine oil from a dealer should be priced way over the top but for some reason it's not. Plus it's just not my local dealer, I have a buddy who buys his Honda oil from another dealer across town and the price is the same. I can't work it out but I'm not complaining.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts