Honda Fury Forums: banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I checked mine n its alittle different in size but not nearly enough to make a difference. mine right at the bottom of the full line comes to 4 1/4 inches, n right at the top of the add line comes to 4 1/2 inches. Thanks for the photo!!!

·
Registered
555 Posts
Here is the all new and improved picture !

The measurement starts at the threads not at the dowel, a 1/4 " difference.

You should probably order the OEM dipstick to make life easier.

YW !
Temperature Office ruler Rectangle Gas Measuring instrument

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Why don't you drain it into a clean container and find out . Stop fkn around and be sure.
I know how much l have in it 3 1/2 qts n way over full mark, Why drain it back out what would that tell me. Now if I saved the old oil n measured it that would tell me everything. But l didnt know this was going to happen. So why do u think I am Fkn around. I never had this problem before so thats why l have some questions to ask! I thought thats another reason forums were for.

·
Registered
5,761 Posts
I know how much l have in it 3 1/2 qts n way over full mark, Why drain it back out what would that tell me. Now if I saved the old oil n measured it that would tell me everything. But l didnt know this was going to happen. So why do u think I am Fkn around. I never had this problem before so thats why l have some questions to ask! I thought thats another reason forums were for.
It just occurred to me that you might be using an imperial quart measuring jug or what ever. The difference is significant as an imperial quart is 40 ounces compared to a US quart which is 32 ounces. Perhaps you may like to drain the new oil out and measure it in litres and millilitres, then compare what you have to the specification in the service manual which is 3.5 litres at draining and 3.7 litres at filter change. I know it's a bit of a pain but it will remove any doubt about how much oil is in the bike. That's one of the things I like about the metric system is that the units are constant everywhere. After you get used to working in metric it becomes quite easy to manage compared to converting to fractions and different versions of pints and gallons.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
It just occurred to me that you might be using an imperial quart measuring jug or what ever. The difference is significant as an imperial quart is 40 ounces compared to a US quart which is 32 ounces. Perhaps you may like to drain the new oil out and measure it in litres and millilitres, then compare what you have to the specification in the service manual which is 3.5 litres at draining and 3.7 litres at filter change. I know it's a bit of a pain but it will remove any doubt about how much oil is in the bike. That's one of the things I like about the metric system is that the units are constant everywhere. After you get used to working in metric it becomes quite easy to manage compared to converting to fractions and different versions of pints and gallons.
Thanks for your reply, l see what you are saying but l did go by US qt system. Have been for 55 years now lol. I had 4 US qts n Only used 3 qts 16 ounces. I may take it to the dealer for them to check it out. Still under warranty. That way it will be on record.

·
Premium Member
506 Posts
By chance, when you drained the oil, was it cold? I agree that it's a little odd to be full with just 3.5qt (US) if you drained both plugs, but 40 weight oil when cold is fairly thick and one might make the case that your excess was left in nooks/crannies/surfaces of the crankcase/clutch, pump, oil passageways, etc.

You're not lowered in the rear, right (airbag, lowering spring, etc.)?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
By chance, when you drained the oil, was it cold? I agree that it's a little odd to be full with just 3.5qt (US) if you drained both plugs, but 40 weight oil when cold is fairly thick and one might make the case that your excess was left in nooks/crannies/surfaces of the crankcase/clutch, pump, oil passageways, etc.

You're not lowered in the rear, right (airbag, lowering spring, etc.)?
I always get the engine to normal operating temp before changing like after a ride to get as much oil out as possible n I always wait till it stop dripping as well. I am 61 years old so I have time to wait lol. Good questions thank you.

No it isnt lowered at all

·
Premium Member
506 Posts
I always get the engine to normal operating temp before changing like after a ride to get as much oil out as possible n I always wait till it stop dripping as well. I am 61 years old so I have time to wait lol. Good questions thank you.

No it isnt lowered at all
Hmm, well. The only other thing I can think of is if you're running a smaller than normal oil filter. I use the Mobil1 M1-110A, but it's possible that other Honda-compatible (same threads and can diameter) filters may be a tad bit shallower, ultimately affecting overall oil capacity volume.

I wouldn't worry too much about it if you've checked the dipstick and it's reading full. Maybe you just have a 'slightly smaller' crankcase with some extra flashing from the casting process internally that is displacing oilspace. (shrug)

The important factor is the level not being low, so if you're not low maybe you have a Fury that just wants to help conserve oil a half-quart at a time ;)

To answer your original actual question, I put in an even 4 quarts when I do my oil changes. Same process, drain when hot from both bolts + new filter, let it sit on kickstand wityh all 3 holes open until it doesn't drip anymore. I read a tad bit full on the dipstick since I'm "overfilling it" by 0.1qt by the book, but I'm good with that.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Hmm, well. The only other thing I can think of is if you're running a smaller than normal oil filter. I use the Mobil1 M1-110A, but it's possible that other Honda-compatible (same threads and can diameter) filters may be a tad bit shallower, ultimately affecting overall oil capacity volume.

I wouldn't worry too much about it if you've checked the dipstick and it's reading full. Maybe you just have a 'slightly smaller' crankcase with some extra flashing from the casting process internally that is displacing oilspace. (shrug)

The important factor is the level not being low, so if you're not low maybe you have a Fury that just wants to help conserve oil a half-quart at a time ;)

To answer your original actual question, I put in an even 4 quarts when I do my oil changes. Same process, drain when hot from both bolts + new filter, let it sit on kickstand wityh all 3 holes open until it doesn't drip anymore. I read a tad bit full on the dipstick since I'm "overfilling it" by 0.1qt by the book, but I'm good with that.
The casting did cross my mind as well never know whats inside unless I open it up n thats not going to happen.

The oil filter is oem honda

If it is over filled it should push oil into the filter housing n if it doesnt then it should be ok. I hope to take it out for a good ride tomorrow and see what it does.
Thanks for helping out.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts