Honda Fury Forums: banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen and read so much crap about the power programmers, etc etc.. some swear by em some hate em.. i have never used em on any bike I've owned.. so, I wanna gather some opinions/advice.. I got the Cobra slash downs on my fury, baffles in.. and, of course, it sounds good. Was told by the chief mech. at our local shop here, that if i took the baffles out, i would HAVE to remap the fuel injection, or put the programmer on it, etc. (it shows that i have never used em, don't know crap about em). Now since the baffles on the cobras are such a pain to get in and out, IF i remove em, they staying that way.. Is my mechanic wrong? has anyone JUST pulled the baffles and not changed anything? if so, how does the bike do? will the stock comp kinda adjust for it, or am i gonna HAVE TO go spend the 3 or 4 hundred bucks for the programmer? I just want my baffles out, with no BS... can that be done??

·
Registered
12,350 Posts
There are a lot of posts on here about this subject. Have you done a search yet? If and when you do, you'll find quite a few varying opinions on here as well. I was told that even if you leave the baffles in, it's still a good idea to also install a fuel controller when changing the exhaust. Therefore, when I ordered my Cobra swepts, I also ordered the Fi2000r. Bike runs great. I have also heard that if you do remove the baffles, then you definitely have to use a fuel controller. I have also heard that when you change air breathers, it's a good idea to have a fuel controller, so I guess I'm glad I have the Fi2000r for when I get a new air breather.

·
Registered
324 Posts
your stock computer cannot adjust the air/fuel mix itself because it has no way of knowing the oxygen output (need some O2 sensors for that) if you take the baffles out it will start popping/backfiring on deceleration, and it gets annoying quick

·
Premium Member
2,560 Posts
your stock computer cannot adjust the air/fuel mix itself because it has no way of knowing the oxygen output (need some O2 sensors for that) if you take the baffles out it will start popping/backfiring on deceleration, and it gets annoying quick
Took the words right outta my mouth ..

·
Registered
427 Posts
I had my baffles out for about half of last summer and my bike didnt pop or backfire bad at all. I am gonna keep running it without a commander unless something changes for the worse.

·
Registered
11 Posts
the smartest thing you can do is get a fuel prosesser.i use a fi 2000r.well worth the money.i have mine set at 2-3 1.i have stock pipes with the baffels removed and an S&S airfilter kit.the fi 2000r alone made a big difference.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Ran mine since Jun last year with baffles out and no fuel controller, cut the baffles to 4" no fi, no heat or decel issues, runs great. I do agree an fi controller should go on the bike if running after markey air and pipes. When I add after market air I will go with the power commander, the fi from cobra in my opinion is a pc of crap, had 3 of them and they are pointless unless you are running over 3000 rpms all the time.

·
Premium Member
6,195 Posts
First... I would like to say that I have the Samson Pipes and an D&M spike installed onto my bike.... ATM, no current issues and actually running great, this is all without a Fuel Controller. But, more than likely if I were to keep going with this setup I would burn up my valves (from what I've heard). But, the bike is running really good at the moment and I honestly cannot say either way what to do, but from what I've experienced... You don't really need a FC with just a pipe install... and "they" recommend adding a FC when you install an intake of some kind... it is up to you... and see where your ride lay's or reacts when you do these installs... as mine is running fine...

·
Premium Member
1,970 Posts
You haven't noticed it running hotter when stopping at a light?:confused:

My thought on baffles.. everyone has their own taste..
Love mine in.. subtle when taking it easy, but loud when in the mood to twist the throttle..
Subtle in the presence of the LEO's
T

·
Registered
427 Posts
If I end up getting a intake, Currently waiting to see price on cobra, I will definitely have to install a fuel controller

·
Registered
127 Posts
Look under your heat shields, are the pipes blue too black near the exhaust ports? If they are, the bike is running to lean. Get a fuel controller.

Doug
Fuggin Fabrication

·
Registered
427 Posts
they r blueing a little but not real bad

·
Registered
50 Posts
thats it! why take a chance for a few hundred dollars when you spent all this money, this bike will last over 10 years strong, take care of it, blow your valves and then you have a real mess, i guess nobody knows for sure here what will happen, but it is better safe than sorry in a few years. right?

·
Registered
12,350 Posts
thats it! why take a chance for a few hundred dollars when you spent all this money, this bike will last over 10 years strong, take care of it, blow your valves and then you have a real mess, i guess nobody knows for sure here what will happen, but it is better safe than sorry in a few years. right?
That makes sense to me. You spend thousands on the bike, then thousands on mods, but then there's all this dispute over a couple hundred for a fuel controller? I don't get it.:confused: I wonder just how many posts concerning this subject are on this forum.:D I don't think the fuel controller will hurt the bike or make it run worse, but if it does, you can always take it off. Again, we're only talking what, $250.00 compared to the tens of thousands being spent on this machine. I don't know if a fuel controller is necessary or not, but I personally feel better knowing that I have one on my Fury and it seems to be running very good.;)

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
I check my plugs every couple weeks, I have jardine drag pipes and no issues at the moment. If i see anything come up on the plugs i will buy the FIMU but until then im holding off. I heard that you get a little better power out of your accessories if you do the FIMU and if you do too much then you will need it (pipes and no baffles or pipes and intake usually) My pipes are blue but the plugs arnt significantly lean looking, bluing can be caused by various things though mine turned blue when i was riding it and parked outside in 35deg weather. when it was warmer pipes stayed silver

1 - 19 of 19 Posts