Honda Fury Forums: banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey fellas, dropped the bike a month ago and want to get my tank fixed. Got a nice size dent on it and saw stuff online on paintless dent removal. Anybody got any tips or info on it? Or if it actually works? Anyone suggest any shops? Any help would be appreciated fellas

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
Well, I had a couple of medium dings in my truck, they took them out and you could not even tell. They should be able to look at it and tell you the result befor they begin. As long as it is not creased or huge they can work magic. Here it is dent wizard and dent magic. They work on cars with major hail damage. Call your local Jaguar, Cadillac, Audi dealer or high end auto dealer and see who they use and get a phone number. Mine was 75 first ding, second 25. If you take it to them, they will discount, no travel time.

·
Premium Member
1,992 Posts
I used it on my trucks hood and it's like nothing ever happened.

·
Premium Member
6,191 Posts
I know this sounds crazy but I've seen it done and it works. Take the tank off and fill it with water and put it in the freezer and the dent will pop out.
That actually makes perfect sense... watch out though with the FUEL RESERVE SENSOR inside of the tank, as that may damage it... That would be the only concern with this method. Removing everything would be the wise choice...

Oh, watching turtles race would be a good analogy of waiting for the whole 3.4 gallon tank to thaw, in order to drain it... :rolleyes:

Guess that's the upside of not having a 4.4 gallon tank... :p

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I know this sounds crazy but I've seen it done and it works. Take the tank off and fill it with water and put it in the freezer and the dent will pop out.
in my head that sounds like it would work. lol im a little worried about damaging something. but hey its not like it can get any worse then what it is. So water plus freeze will be the first option since its free. Harbor Freight is one of my fathers customers for his company i'll call him this weekend and see if he can grab and kit for me. and last but not least if that doesnt work i'll call cadillac which i think is near by and ask who they use. hopefully they will tell me. thanks guy I appreciate the help. will let ya guys know how it turns out.

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
1.With freezing, you have no control over the amount of expansion, yes it could get much worse. Also there are internals that you could damage.
2. The kit from Harbor Freight at 9.99. My guy told me his rods, many,many, different types, sizes, angles, curved, etc, are north of 500. 600
3. Training, he had months, and still is learning. You can have the best tools, but you still have to know how to use them.
4 If you call, ask for used car manager, they generally will give out the info, no problem. Yellow pages.

·
Premium Member
6,191 Posts
just thought about something, when freezing the tank with water, wouldnt the water just freeze around the dent?
Water expands when frozen... so, no... it won't just freeze around the dent... you could just put water in it... put it in the freezer in the morning and keep an eye on it all day... take it out at night if it hasn't yet froze because of the amount of water and start again the next day. Yes, would start about 2/3 to 3/4 full first before attempting anymore than that...

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Water expands when frozen... so, no... it won't just freeze around the dent... you could just put water in it... put it in the freezer in the morning and keep an eye on it all day... take it out at night if it hasn't yet froze because of the amount of water and start again the next day. Yes, would start about 2/3 to 3/4 full first before attempting anymore than that...
hey its definatly worth a shot. that sounds like a plan vs filling all the way and risking it crack the entire tank and me be out 1,000.00 bucks. i just called a PDR (Paintless dent removal) guy and left a voicemail. If i dont get a call back today i'll drain and stuff in the freezer. lol hey if it works atleast we'll know how to spread the knowledge. PLEASE LET THIS WORK. Its such an eye sore.

·
Premium Member
6,191 Posts
hey its definitely worth a shot. that sounds like a plan vs filling all the way and risking it crack the entire tank and me be out 1,000.00 bucks. i just called a PDR (Paint-less dent removal) guy and left a voice-mail. If i don't get a call back today I'll drain and stuff in the freezer. LOL hey if it works at-least we'll know how to spread the knowledge. PLEASE LET THIS WORK. Its such an eye sore.
Don't fill it more than 3 gallons worth of fluid... any more than that and you will overfill it with a typical expansion of 9-10%. 2.54 gallons would be about 75% and 2.28 gallons about the lower expansion. Would also start with the air bubble about level with the tank so that it spreads evenly, instead of a more extreme expansion with pressure only on one side of the tank. That last part is my hypothetical though after envisioning this process.

·
Premium Member
4,475 Posts
I would prefer the dent wizard but this procedure of freezing the tank will work to remove the dent. You will split the seams if you overfill the tank and do not leave leave room for expansion. Do not put the cap on and only fill the tank to just above where the dent is and make sure to keep an eye on it as it freezes and it will work for you. I'll send you the bill later.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.