Honda Fury Forums: banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is dump...I am yet to find the routine for stoping the bike and parking it.
I have been hitting the kill switch...just read in the manual this is not a good idea.

I have tried holding in the clutch and reaching over with my brake hand to get the key...scrathing the tank.

If I put it in nueteral, I can get the key but then I am not sure weather it should be in neuteral or in gear parked or does it mater.

·
Registered
3,409 Posts
Are you parking on a hill or something?:confused:
If you cant sit there with your feet on the ground and hold the bike from moving I wouldn't park there.
I didn't know that about the kill switch? Why is that bad? And if it's bad then why is it there? What is the use of it then?

·
Premium Member
2,482 Posts
About 99.9999% of the time I just drop the kickstand while in gear with the clutch in. Then release the clutch and remove the key. Very rarely do I use the kill switch.

·
Registered
101 Posts
googled it quickly - 7 Things Only a Biker Knows from Seven things a Biker only knows

A Bike Has a KILL Switch

Cars don't have KILL switches. The closest you can come is to turn off the ignition. On a motorcycle, a KILL switch has several purposes.

The motorcycle KILL (or STOP) switch is in series with the ignition switch. When the KILL switch is open, the motorcycle will not start.

Most motorcycle training courses suggest that you get in the habit of using the motorcycle KILL switch to shut off your bike. The reasoning is that if you don't use it, it won't work when you need to use it.

Much confusion occurs in traffic when you inadvertently trip the KILL switch and then can't figure out why the bike won't restart. Always look at the KILL switch first.

You may need to use the KILL switch if your bike falls over and you can't reach the ignition. Just trip the KILL switch. KILL switches are also known as RUN or STOP switches.

I've always used the kill switch and was trained to use it. Parking on any slope where the bike might roll I will always leave in gear nose up the hill.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Most the time I just drop the kickstand engine shuts off leave it in gear. Once in awhile I'll use the kill switch but not very often.
Don't know why you shouldn't use it?

·
Registered
12,354 Posts
About 99.9999% of the time I just drop the kickstand while in gear with the clutch in. Then release the clutch and remove the key. Very rarely do I use the kill switch.
I do the exact same thing. The only time I don't park in gear is when I park the bike in my nice, level garage.

I don't see what the harm would be, but I rarely use my kill switch either.

If you didn't want to use the switch or put the kickstand down first, then put it in neutral, turn the key off, and then put it back in gear.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Most motorcycle training courses suggest that you get in the habit of using the motorcycle KILL switch to shut off your bike.
Yep, I use the kill switch with the bike in neutral because that's what they taught in the MSF course.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
If I'm parking on a flat surface its nuetral and then key off. If there's even a slight chance the bike might roll OR if I'm stopping for gas I just throw the kickstand down with the clutch pulled in.

curious about the kill switch as well. (I usually flip it to off before I dismount after the bike's shut off... I think it's just because I like flipping switches)

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
ITS A SWITCH PEOPLE, COME ON! Its simplistic in nature ... it kills the current by making or not making an electrical contact. If you wear it out ( not likely ) it can simply be replaced.

Me, i leave it in gear just like any other manual transmission. If you leave things in Nuetral its gonna roll.

·
Registered
12,354 Posts
ITS A SWITCH PEOPLE, COME ON! Its simplistic in nature ....
Yeah, you bunch of stupid switch flippers! Smarten up already!

I never used the one of my old V65 Magna. If you left it alone it would start every time. If you flipped it off and then flipped it on again, it might start and it might not. It needed replaced, but back then I was very poor and jobless. Had to save what money I had for fuel, cigarettes and beer.

·
Registered
364 Posts
i usually roll to my parking location and park nose up hill if applicable. i use the kill switch, then turn the key. i will also rock to bike forward while in gear to tighten the wheel slack, then flip the stand down so it puts extra tension in opposing directions. the only exception to this is when i get home. i pull up kick it in neutral, use the kill switch turn the key off, flip the kill switch back on with the key off, then back it into my garage where it resides until the next morning. that way all i have to do is go out turn the key on and start it so it runs while i gear up.

·
Premium Member
3,454 Posts
i park in 1st gear. just like a car's stick shift.
don't rely on just the parking brake for a car; why would you leave your bike in neutral?
you ain't got a parking brake.
as for the kill switch, danged straight you should shut it down (i.e. hit the KILL when shutting down).

·
Registered
3,409 Posts
I have never parked in gear. Not once. Never had a problem. If it's level for the most part It's not rolling anywhere. How do I know this? Because mine has never moved! Not an inch. Try dragging your bike when the kickstand is down with the bikes weight on it. It takes some effort. And if the front is pointing down hill....... Well, I'll just leave it at that.:p
But I think I will start putting it in gear just for the hell of it.;) Could save it from falling if it gets bumped.

·
Registered
491 Posts
I park in Neutral as well, unless parking on a hill, almost always, I put it in neutral, and turn off the key. As I understand it, the kill switch is an emergency switch.
If you use the kill switch, you still need to shut off at the key, so why bother with the kill switch?
I think the MSF course teaches using the kill switch, because you have an awful lot of people with no riding experience finding themselves on motorcycles!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts