Honda Fury Forums: banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Premium Member
1,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all,owing to the problem regarding aftermarket exhaust here in england and i believe the australians i was thinking about something and would value your opinions..not a million miles from me and i have used him before is a company that would make pipes to my design in stainless steel,with removable baffles..the question is would i still need a fuel management device and would that be ok with them 02 sensors..i was thinking along the lines of slip ons and leaving the front down tubes with the sensors still in all opinions gratefully appreciated thanks all:confused::)

· Premium Member
6,029 Posts
hi all,owing to the problem regarding aftermarket exhaust here in england and i believe the australians i was thinking about something and would value your opinions..not a million miles from me and i have used him before is a company that would make pipes to my design in stainless steel,with removable baffles..the question is would i still need a fuel management device and would that be ok with them 02 sensors..i was thinking along the lines of slip ons and leaving the front down tubes with the sensors still in all opinions gratefully appreciated thanks all:confused::)
You shouldn't need it with slip on's, so long as you leave the baffles in for back pressure. Without the baffles in though, you will need a fuel controller to manage the fuel/air ratio, before it goes completely bonkers ;)

Cheers

· Registered
168 Posts
Just adding baffled slip-ons you should be OK not to reprogram the fuel system. Similar to the Raw designs slip-ons right?

Good luck!

· Registered
3,345 Posts
Since we have no idea what they would make for you, size, length, baffle design, etc, etc, and even if we did, I don't know if that is answerable on this forum with any certainty, it is to highly technical and with incomplete information. That would be a question best directed to the custom manufacturer of the pipes. IMO

· Registered
3,345 Posts
And I agree Snuffdog, however he is going to design his own slipons and have them custom made. Most of our experiences here are with American manufactures of slipons who pour a lot of money into R&D and engineering into their pipes so we dont have problems. A one off would be hard to judge. Also on top of that with use of 02 bungs. IMHO

· Registered
434 Posts
If these Euro Furys that have O2 sensors are anything like O2 sensors on automobiles, then he shouldn't need a fuel controller. Thats what the O2 sensor does.

Oxygen sensors detect rich and lean mixtures. The mechanism in most sensors involves a chemical reaction that generates a voltage. The ECM reads the voltage to determine if the mixture is rich or lean, and adjusts the amount of fuel accordingly.

The reason why the engine needs the oxygen sensor is because the amount of oxygen that the engine can pull in depends on all sorts of things, such as the altitude, the temperature of the air, the temperature of the engine, the barometric pressure, the load on the engine, etc.

· Registered
3,345 Posts
And Moby, you maybe right, my only point is that he said he is going to design these himself..what if he designers a 6 in can 12 inches long, or something that goes above what 02s can adjust to. That is the unknown? I guess this is one of those, wait and see things.:)

· Super Moderator
6,554 Posts
The question about needing a fuel controller with slip ons is something I was going to raise as the Aussie Fury has the O2 sensors.

So if you use the stock pipes with slip ons like the D&D, etc do you need a fuel controller? My guess would be you don't need one if 1) you leave the air cleaner stock and 2) you leave the baffles in. Anyone know for sure?

I would like to make the bike a little louder but not crazy loud.

· Registered
2,152 Posts
Wigoh;

You said, "I was thinking along the lines of slip ons and leaving the front down tubes with the sensors still in..........."

I'm a little reluctant to jump in on this one, and since nobody on this side of the pond has O2 sensors in their Fury's (yet), our responses must necessarily be somewhat speculative. But, with that qualifier, I would suggest that, since you're running in closed loop, with your O2 sensors talking to your ECU/ECM, and that talking to your injectors, you'll probably be OK without a secondary controller. The question really resolves itself to one of whether you have enough width (range) in your ECM table to compensate and I, personaly, would think so. Again, speculative, FWIW.

Cheers

· Registered
2,385 Posts
Wigoh;

You said, "I was thinking along the lines of slip ons and leaving the front down tubes with the sensors still in..........."

I'm a little reluctant to jump in on this one, and since nobody on this side of the pond has O2 sensors in their Fury's (yet), our responses must necessarily be somewhat speculative. But, with that qualifier, I would suggest that, since you're running in closed loop, with your O2 sensors talking to your ECU/ECM, and that talking to your injectors, you'll probably be OK without a secondary controller. The question really resolves itself to one of whether you have enough width (range) in your ECM table to compensate and I, personaly, would think so. Again, speculative, FWIW.

Cheers
depends on the way the system is designed, newer automobiles run prettymuch 2 different o2 circuits, one for emissions which has no effect on fuel mix, just throws check engine light and puts ECM in a safe mode at times, the o2's coming off the heads only control the mix of fuel

· Registered
207 Posts
So this might seem like a silly question....but I am going to ask it as I do not know. I pick up my fury at the end of next week, down in Montana. So would this fury have the O2 censors? If it does, when I change out the pipes what would be done with the sensors...if they are there?

· Registered
2,385 Posts
So this might seem like a silly question....but I am going to ask it as I do not know. I pick up my fury at the end of next week, down in Montana. So would this fury have the O2 censors? If it does, when I change out the pipes what would be done with the sensors...if they are there?
It shouldnt unless they added them with an auto tune unit or its not an american one

· Registered
2,385 Posts
Sounds good imwright. I can't wait to have at it next week!
Im just taking a very educated guess on that, I know the non cali emission one doesnt have o2, and the cali one im sure RSS and alot of the Cali members would be complaining too if they all had o2's. so unless something drastic has changed on the bikes production you should be safe

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.