Honda Fury Forums: banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I had my helmet fall off my seat from the wind while i was unlocking my brake lock and scratched the lens to my helmet. Read some things about fixing scratches and decided to give it a whirl since im stuck with this lens while i wait for the new one. I had deeper scratches from the helmet rolling on pavement so it worked enough to get by but still am replacing it and keeping this lens for a backup.

Brasso or any petrollium based polish is supposed to work since the petrolium softens the plastic to where it will buff better to reduce and even remove some scratches. I used a microfiber cloth and some Gel Gloss since that is what i have for removing Oxidized haze from lights.

Over the left eye the lens was scuffed pretty heavily and i was able to get it cleaned up about 1/2 way. the very small scratches arnt even noticable but the deeper ones have critically lightened up (now it looks like i got whacked in the face with a tree branch rather than having the helmet roll on concrete.

If you have light scratches i would recommend trying a polish like this on some inconspicuous areas to see if it will mess up the lens, then use it, you might be able to save the lens/light/ or whatever plastic has the scuffing or haze. With your critical scratches, it may lighten them up so the part is usable as a backup to get by with so you dont miss out on riding or so it is toleratible until you decide to replace the part.

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
One of the other things that i saw that i tried atfirst was pledge, the wax that is in it supposidly helps fill very light scratches, i tried that too, not too much help originally, with very light scratches(swirl marks similar to what you see in paint) might see help from it though. Brasso is what the sites i was reading last night recommended, but they said any metal polish should help.

Only reason i tried it was my lens was bad enough that i had to order a new one but didnt want to not ride because of it and forgot my safety glasses in the lab (cant get them until weds), so my options were try this and i ordered a new lens as a just in case it didnt work. It worked well enough that i could tolerate it for a few weeks though, and if i mess the new lens up ever, can switch to this to buy time while getting another new one

·
Registered
120 Posts
I've made my own T-Cut in the past. Not too sure if you guys know of the stuff so excuse my ignorance. T-Cut is used to polish down paint work to remove scratches.

To make your own simply mix together 1 part clean engine oil and 1 part Autosol (metal polish) to a fine paste. The beauty of this is that if you want a finer polish add a little more oil or more abrasive add a little more Autosol. Always test it first.

I've used this technique to repair paint chips and works quite well. Always test it first. Getting the mixture right is the key. Of course colour matching is important too.

I'd imagine this may well work with visors too.

·
Premium Member
6,191 Posts
I've made my own T-Cut in the past. Not too sure if you guys know of the stuff so excuse my ignorance. T-Cut is used to polish down paint work to remove scratches.

To make your own simply mix together 1 part clean engine oil and 1 part Autosol (metal polish) to a fine paste. The beauty of this is that if you want a finer polish add a little more oil or more abrasive add a little more Autosol. Always test it first.

I've used this technique to repair paint chips and works quite well. Always test it first. Getting the mixture right is the key. Of course colour matching is important too.

I'd imagine this may well work with visors too.
Nice... another thing to add to the forums and to the helpers list... awesome!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.