Honda Fury Forums: banner

41 - 60 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
So, let me see if I understand what you are saying correctly.
You think loud pipe annoy people.
Do you agree that loud pipe increase safety for the rider? (This is a given THEY DO!)
But you believe that the additional safety does not outweigh the annoyance to others?
This issue has many different facets. Too many to comprehensively address in a forum post.

Virtually everyone agrees that noise is annoying, therefore noisy pipes are annoying. However, some would make a case that noise such as a rock band or children playing is not annoying. Therefore some noise may be tolerated. Beyond a fairly low decibel, all noise is usually annoying and always damaging to your hearing.

Safety: Noise increasing safety is anything but a given. There are no conclusive studies showing this to be true. The argument is that if you can be heard you will be seen. Unfortunately, these two ideas "heard" and "seen" are not mutually inclusive. The way sound emanates is the problem. Because a bikes sound is directed backwards, it is annoying to the people who are most likely to see you anyway and statistically accidents caused from behind are the lowest rate of vehicle / motorcycle accidents. As the sound is directed backwards, people in front of you are not likely to hear you and this statistically is where the highest rate of vehicle / motorcycle accidents occur. This includes people pulling over when you are in their blind spot or pulling in front of you from side roads, both of which happen in front of you where the noise is least likely to be heard. Also, it is difficult to immediately determine where noise is coming from and an accident will occur far faster than the time needed to determine the source of the noise.

Now if the whole issue was about safety, being seen is a stronger argument than being heard. This is because the speed of light is about the fastest speed on earth and far faster than the speed of sound. And light is what you see. So being seen is more important than being heard. Now it is interesting that all of the so called "safety conscious" bikers defending loud pipes, are also the most likely to be averse to wearing bright colors such as orange, yellow and hi-viz green which are the most common colors used in traffic safety signs. One of the least visible colors "black" which is actually the absence of color is the most preferred color for motorcycle attire.

As for the many other facets in this issue, I would suggest a psychological study as to why someone would want to be annoyingly loud in the first place. And, why in a hobby promoting individualism and freedom, does everyone want to conform by looking alike??

Now I'll admit, I like black. My Fury is black, my bike luggage is black and my riding suit is black. My helmet however is yellow (helmets are a safety topic for a different post). I also still have reflectors on my bike.

The helmet is yellow because I wanted a Shoei J-Cruise and went to E-bay to find a clearance deal on a new one. I wanted a black one but the bids always went up to around $450. Then I found a yellow one with few bids and a starting bid of $200. Apparently few bikers were willing to bid on a yellow helmet so I obtained it for $250. I take a lot of ribbing about my yellow helmet and I have taken to calling it my "please don't kill me city helmet". I can assure you, this helmet gets seen! Apparently my desire for a good deal exceeds my desire to be safe!

As to the reflectors, I will share my personal experience. Driving my car along a country road in pitch blackness, my wife said what is that in front of us? Neither of us could see what it was but it looked like moving lights. As we got closer, we realized it was a very long black freight train crossing in front of us on a very black night. The only thing that stopped us from hitting it was our headlights illuminating the reflectors on the side of the train. So no matter what the reflector police say, mine won't come off because of their ribbing. What did succeed in getting me to take the back fender ones off was my Ginz sissy bar as the reflectors were in the way. Apparently my desire for a Ginz bar exceeded my desire to be safe!

We are each entitled to an opinion. Mine is - please keep your annoying noisy pipes away from me. More importantly, if we don't stop annoying people, regulators will do it for us and our hobby will be restricted far more than just legislating the noise from the pipes. Also, imagine the absurdity of every vehicle on the road being loud because each owner says it is keeping them safe.

And my plug for visibility and helmets - be seen and protect your head for those who love you even if that's only your mother!!

It might be nice to save someone a lifetime of guilt for killing you too as it was quite unlikely they set out to do it intentionally.

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
I have some of the loudest most annoying pipes around an I make sure their even noiser by revving at every idiot that out there I don't care if they like it or not been riding for 45 year with out being hit so loud pipes do work to keep u alive that is a FACT !

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
I have some of the loudest most annoying pipes around an I make sure their even noiser by revving at every idiot that out there I don't care if they like it or not been riding for 45 year with out being hit so loud pipes do work to keep u alive that is a FACT !
Not being hit is not proof of this theory, it could and probably is a confluence of many items. Someone with quiet pipes for 46 years could say the opposite, that they were right. Both are anecdotal evidence. Studies do however back the previous post's postulation.

Reactions: Spud

·
Registered
5,374 Posts
This issue has many different facets. Too many to comprehensively address in a forum post.

Virtually everyone agrees that noise is annoying, therefore noisy pipes are annoying. However, some would make a case that noise such as a rock band or children playing is not annoying. Therefore some noise may be tolerated. Beyond a fairly low decibel, all noise is usually annoying and always damaging to your hearing.

Safety: Noise increasing safety is anything but a given. There are no conclusive studies showing this to be true. The argument is that if you can be heard you will be seen. Unfortunately, these two ideas "heard" and "seen" are not mutually inclusive. The way sound emanates is the problem. Because a bikes sound is directed backwards, it is annoying to the people who are most likely to see you anyway and statistically accidents caused from behind are the lowest rate of vehicle / motorcycle accidents. As the sound is directed backwards, people in front of you are not likely to hear you and this statistically is where the highest rate of vehicle / motorcycle accidents occur. This includes people pulling over when you are in their blind spot or pulling in front of you from side roads, both of which happen in front of you where the noise is least likely to be heard. Also, it is difficult to immediately determine where noise is coming from and an accident will occur far faster than the time needed to determine the source of the noise.

Now if the whole issue was about safety, being seen is a stronger argument than being heard. This is because the speed of light is about the fastest speed on earth and far faster than the speed of sound. And light is what you see. So being seen is more important than being heard. Now it is interesting that all of the so called "safety conscious" bikers defending loud pipes, are also the most likely to be averse to wearing bright colors such as orange, yellow and hi-viz green which are the most common colors used in traffic safety signs. One of the least visible colors "black" which is actually the absence of color is the most preferred color for motorcycle attire.

As for the many other facets in this issue, I would suggest a psychological study as to why someone would want to be annoyingly loud in the first place. And, why in a hobby promoting individualism and freedom, does everyone want to conform by looking alike??

Now I'll admit, I like black. My Fury is black, my bike luggage is black and my riding suit is black. My helmet however is yellow (helmets are a safety topic for a different post). I also still have reflectors on my bike.

The helmet is yellow because I wanted a Shoei J-Cruise and went to E-bay to find a clearance deal on a new one. I wanted a black one but the bids always went up to around $450. Then I found a yellow one with few bids and a starting bid of $200. Apparently few bikers were willing to bid on a yellow helmet so I obtained it for $250. I take a lot of ribbing about my yellow helmet and I have taken to calling it my "please don't kill me city helmet". I can assure you, this helmet gets seen! Apparently my desire for a good deal exceeds my desire to be safe!

As to the reflectors, I will share my personal experience. Driving my car along a country road in pitch blackness, my wife said what is that in front of us? Neither of us could see what it was but it looked like moving lights. As we got closer, we realized it was a very long black freight train crossing in front of us on a very black night. The only thing that stopped us from hitting it was our headlights illuminating the reflectors on the side of the train. So no matter what the reflector police say, mine won't come off because of their ribbing. What did succeed in getting me to take the back fender ones off was my Ginz sissy bar as the reflectors were in the way. Apparently my desire for a Ginz bar exceeded my desire to be safe!

We are each entitled to an opinion. Mine is - please keep your annoying noisy pipes away from me. More importantly, if we don't stop annoying people, regulators will do it for us and our hobby will be restricted far more than just legislating the noise from the pipes. Also, imagine the absurdity of every vehicle on the road being loud because each owner says it is keeping them safe.

And my plug for visibility and helmets - be seen and protect your head for those who love you even if that's only your mother!!

It might be nice to save someone a lifetime of guilt for killing you too as it was quite unlikely they set out to do it intentionally.
Well said. I'm no fan of loud pipes as most folks on here know. I tried a set of loud pipes on an old bike of mine, they lasted on the bike to work and back for one day. I took them off as soon as I got home and put the stock pipes back on. The noise gave me a headache and it seemed to cut through my ears. Since then I have not fallen for talk on forums saying how great after market pipes sound, as in reality they are just loud.

You can get pipes to sound good, rumble and have a nice deep tone but you can't do that without well designed baffles. Honda engineers spend a lot of time and money working on the exhaust to 1) meet the regulations for the intended market, 2) Sound good and 3) get the best performance possible and still be legal. If anyone thinks they can do better by drilling out baffles or pulling the baffles out they are having themselves on. Sure if you drill out the stock muffler it will be louder but it will sound worse and you'll lose performance.

Oh and before anyone starts bashing me because my preference is different to yours, I don't give a shit what you think of my exhaust sound. It's my bike and I like it the way it is.

Lastly pissing off the general public with crazy loud pipes just plays right into the hands of the various governments because there is nothing the politicians like more than to get up on the 6 o'clock news and proudly proclaim they have passed tough new laws to deal with these dangerous bikers.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Well said. I'm no fan of loud pipes as most folks on here know. I tried a set of loud pipes on an old bike of mine, they lasted on the bike to work and back for one day. I took them off as soon as I got home and put the stock pipes back on. The noise gave me a headache and it seemed to cut through my ears. Since then I have not fallen for talk on forums saying how great after market pipes sound, as in reality they are just loud.

You can get pipes to sound good, rumble and have a nice deep tone but you can't do that without well designed baffles. Honda engineers spend a lot of time and money working on the exhaust to 1) meet the regulations for the intended market, 2) Sound good and 3) get the best performance possible and still be legal. If anyone thinks they can do better by drilling out baffles or pulling the baffles out they are having themselves on. Sure if you drill out the stock muffler it will be louder but it will sound worse and you'll lose performance.

Oh and before anyone starts bashing me because my preference is different to yours, I don't give a shit what you think of my exhaust sound. It's my bike and I like it the way it is.

Lastly pissing off the general public with crazy loud pipes just plays right into the hands of the various governments because there is nothing the politicians like more than to get up on the 6 o'clock news and proudly proclaim they have passed tough new laws to deal with these dangerous bikers.
Hey, it's you bike, do what you want with it. And I will do with mine what I want.

But one of your points, I have made many times. Making mom and pop america (or whichever country) fearful, distrustful or just plain not like you is stupid beyond belief. They have more voting members, and more money than bikers ever will. If they decide to pass a law about bikers, anything about bikers, there is next to nothing we could do if they really wanted it. So go ahead and be obnoxious. While you can.

Reactions: Spud and macxpert

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
if u can find someone that's been riding 45 year that disagree with me have them speak up til then proof in the puttin

·
Registered
5,374 Posts
if u can find someone that's been riding 45 year that disagree with me have them speak up til then proof in the puttin
Well that would be me. Been riding since I was 13 without loud pipes. Never been hit by a car. Sure I've come off on gravel fire trails, dropped the bike in bush trails and I might have crashed into a few trees when I was a teenager riding in the bush with my best friend but no cars.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Well that would be me. Been riding since I was 13 without loud pipes. Never been hit by a car. Sure I've come off on gravel fire trails, dropped the bike in bush trails and I might have crashed into a few trees when I was a teenager riding in the bush with my best friend but no cars.
Not being hit is not proof of this theory, it could and probably is a confluence of many items. Someone with quiet pipes for 46 years could say the opposite, that they were right. Both are anecdotal evidence. Studies do however back the previous post's postulation.
I'll go with Macxpert and Ordinary Biker on this. However, using your rational, you must be right since I've only gone 41 years and 181,000 miles without being hit by a vehicle using my nice quiet stock pipes.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
That was kind of my point, that not being hit is not proof of the theory. It could be valid, and it could not be. This just isn't proof.

And for the record, I am not running stock pipes. And depending on which set of baffles I have in, they can be LOUD. But I don't do that to protect myself from other drivers. I do it because I like it and I want to. I don't buy into the loud pipes save lives even on bit, because I have maybe just a little bit of experience in the area of sonics and sound waves. I understand how it works along with understanding the herd mentality of people in cars. I also acknowledge that a bright colored helmet would most likely be the single best investment to improve my visibility to others. And I still chose a flat black helmet because I liked how it looked.

My gamble, I just want to be honest about it.

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
far as bright colors go more bs no fact in it //fact only motorcycles are required to display a headlight during day time they don't see them /so why should they see your loud colors//an as far as sound the way it travels the people I ride with say am just as loud if they ride in front of me an when some dum a-- cager try to inch out from a stop sign I rev my pipes an THEY STOP so they deffintiy hear an their in front me at that sign am not an ordinary biker am a real one I ride daily rain or shine no helmet no bright stripe on my leather am not trying to get people to see me / I look for them an I let them know I I'm that's why ive not been hit

·
Premium Member
13,713 Posts
far as bright colors go more bs no fact in it //fact only motorcycles are required to display a headlight during day time they don't see them /so why should they see your loud colors//an as far as sound the way it travels the people I ride with say am just as loud if they ride in front of me an when some dum a-- cager try to inch out from a stop sign I rev my pipes an THEY STOP so they deffintiy hear an their in front me at that sign am not an ordinary biker am a real one I ride daily rain or shine no helmet no bright stripe on my leather am not trying to get people to see me / I look for them an I let them know I I'm that's why ive not been hit
Wait till you get a dumb BI#%H like the one that hit me in September. They don't care who you are,what color you or your bike is or how loud it is. She came out of the right lane on the far side of a four lane road ,made a left turn in front of two cars to nail me.:angryface::angryface::angryface::angryface::angryface:

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
That is the point in the name. I don't give two shits about all the posing associated with most bikers. Hardley rider or not. Never even owned a car or not. Rain or not. I don't give a fuck what others do or think, so I ride by myself. Nobody else to try and impress that way...

·
Registered
411 Posts
Wait till you get a dumb BI#%H like the one that hit me in September. They don't care who you are,what color you or your bike is or how loud it is. She came out of the right lane on the far side of a four lane road ,made a left turn in front of two cars to nail me.:angryface::angryface::angryface::angryface::angryface:
I'm torn as to whether to click LIKE or not. Like your comment, Bill. Sure as hell don't like it that you (or anyone else) got hit! If the story ended with the cager idiot going to jail... THAT, I'd LIKE.

I have a good friend that got pinched (crushed) between two pickup trucks. Front and rear. Lucky to be alive. The driver at fault got ticketed for "improper use of turn lane."
:angryface::angryface::angryface:

Edit: And for whatever it's worth... He has (or had) an HD with a candy metallic pumpkin paint job, blinding amount of chrome, and pipes just loud as the [email protected]! None of which mattered to an inbred ******* that wanted to jump the curb to get his jankety piece of shit pickup truck to the gas station.

All petty "issues" aside... I can't wait to yank the baffles outta my Cobra Sweeps. And I don't give a rats ass what anyone thinks about it -- on either side of the fence.

·
Premium Member
13,713 Posts
I say loud pipes.... I currently have the cobra pipes on my fury, looking to upgrade to a louder more custom sound. Anyone know a good place?

RIDE SAFE....
I have a nice set of STG'S for trade. Too loud for me.:smile:

Attachments

·
Registered
282 Posts
Liberals are offended by them :grin: but other than that .... I want to be heard, and I love the sound of my pipes

41 - 60 of 97 Posts