Honda Fury Forums: banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just couldnt see spending $300 on a LED tail light, so i attempted to make one on my own. To say the least, im impressed with the results. As you can see, keeping the stock side iron, i didnt need to make new brackets to hold the turn signals. I ended up using some aluminum L bracket stock, and cut slits in the top to get it to bend. Once i got that down, i riveted the L bracket to the stock turn signal holders. A little black paint and its all good. I didnt have a chance to see if it rubs, but it shouldnt as the stock brake lights bulkiness is gone. The only problem i ran into was running the wires. The bulkiness was not allowed on the outside of the rails inbetween the fender and the frame.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Holy shit dude good job! I now have to do this since I have the damn lights here for weeks now. Shit I didnt think of keeping the stock brackets and riveting the light bar to it. If you could get a little closer on a side view and rear view. Im curious. Pretty slick!

·
Premium Member
1,956 Posts
cb let me first say im impressed with the creativeness. second im just wondering if you have done the tony mod or anything to lower the rear end.

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Holy shit dude good job! I now have to do this since I have the damn lights here for weeks now. Shit I didnt think of keeping the stock brackets and riveting the light bar to it. Pretty slick!
I had you specifically in mind with this mod. I went out and bought some 16gauge stell plate, a new Dremel Trio to cut out the sides with, paint, and a rivet gun. I took a long look, and said to myself, .. self ... why get rid of the perfectly good turn signal holders that im currently using? Not to mention, that the 4 bolts that are holding them on, if you take them off you loose the bolts that will hold a new piece on. After studing it a little more, i noticed that if you notch out the top of the L stock, and then notch out the end to fit around the stock brackets .. your in like Flynn!

Side note .. Ernie .. i ended up removing 4 sections off the LED. The very ends curve around the edges, and i currently have zip ties holding the ends in place. The supplied 3M tape just isnt strong enough to take that curve. I may end up epoxying the ends in place.

I never used the Dremel Trio, so i get to return it and my $100 towards my ghetto LED tail!

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i forgot to mention, the pic with the LED on .. thats the running light. Hit the brake and its gets about twice as bright.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Dude it came out great. I have all the tools needed for it but keep the dremel its a great tool. I didnt think the supplied tape would work well. If you use a hair dryer like RSS did I think it sould be good. I will probably use 3m spray glue since I have a few cans. If this week goes as easy as I think it should then I will be working on mine too. I kinda like the stock one but definitely like the look of this. Im impressed Chris!

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Dude it came out great. I have all the tools needed for it but keep the dremel its a great tool. I didnt think the supplied tape would work well. If you use a hair dryer like RSS did I think it sould be good. I will probably use 3m spray glue since I have a few cans. If this week goes as easy as I think it should then I will be working on mine too. I kinda like the stock one but definitely like the look of this. Im impressed Chris!
Ill work on getting those close up tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
RSS did a similar mod, but was more like the raw. i think he had 150ish in parts

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
RSS did a similar mod, but was more like the raw. i think he had 150ish in parts
I was first considering doing RSSs mod, but then i remembered that NYers need to see everything ... so i wanted to keep the turn signals away from the brake. If you have a rivet gun, the the total for my parts would be the L bracket ( $1.70 @ Lowes ) and $50 for the LED strip and running light do-hicky that wires into the LED strip.

Mental, ill find something that will hold those end down. I just got tired of tinkering with the damn thing, so i zip tied it hoping that a couple days of being sinched it will stay.

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
Since you already have it zip tied, now is the time to heat it and it will keep that shape, otherwise that casing will be under continual stress. OH, and great job.

·
Super Moderator
4,476 Posts
Wow that looks really nice and it looks like you saved a lot of money. What light strip did you use and do you have a link to the website for others?

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Wow that looks really nice and it looks like you saved a lot of money. What light strip did you use and do you have a link to the website for others?
I appologize. I took for granted that everyone would know the link by using RSS post. Heres the link for the LED strip. I went with the 12" which can be cut down to what ever size you need.

Radiantz Flexible LED Light Strip - Red LEDs

here is the converter to make the LED a running light. Make sure you get the right one for the amount of LEDs you plan on using. I ended up running 80 LEDs on the rear with my custom set up.

Radiantz Run/Turn or Run/Brake Converter for Flexible LED Light Strip

i will try heating it up a little with the GFs hair dryer today. We shall see if it will behave.

·
Premium Member
1,995 Posts
Nice! I planned on doing my own LED strip mod down the road as I could not justify the cost of the RAW LED light.

Yours came out really good!

·
Premium Member
6,195 Posts
Very impressed bro! Good job on the install and the creativeness in getting the job done! One more check mark for us DIY'ers :D

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
I am going this route but will use the flat stock a bit wider. I want to use the 4 1/2" amber radiantz lights under the red brake light with my mini's. I couldnt get the fender curve right like the raw light and RSS did. RSS emailed me a template for the side bars but I still couldnt get the curve right for some reason. I really like the way how it cleans up the ass.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts