Honda Fury Forums: banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This quarantine and working from home is screwing with my head. So I decided to take the day "off" and do a few things around the house, mind you it was raining and has been for about a week, so around the house really meant inside, still. Most of the day spent in the garage cleaning, changing the oil and general maintenance on the wife's Tahoe, but ended the day changing the oil on the Fury. Plugs in, filter on, oil filled and checked. Time to start it up for a minute, still pouring rain so it's loud start sitting at the edge of the garage. Put it in gear to put it in its parking spot for the night instead of rolling it, and it dies. Huh, try again, and it dies. I try 3 times and give up, go inside, search the forum and go to bed baffled almost crying. Woke up an hour later, and realized I had the kickstand down! WHAT A DUMMY! Should be a decent day today and tomorrow, I need to get out and ride to get some fresh air, geesh.

·
Registered
21 Posts
This is an excerpt from a e-mail message a dealer sent to me this week.

As for benefits of, consider the following to keep yourself "Social Distancing":

• Avoid crowded spaces: Ride motorcycles.
• Do not use public transportation: Ride motorcycles.
• Well-ventilated spaces are virus free: Ride motorcycles.
• Wear gloves: Ride motorcycles.
• Keep at least six feet from other people: Ride motorcycles.
• Keep a positive attitude: Ride motorcycles!

I appreciated the light-hearted riding plug amidst all the negative news.

·
Registered
11 Posts
First time was with my little 600cc in the backyard, on grass. I just stepped out of it, and it fell over. The second time was at Biketoberfest 2000, went down hard on the 1100cc in front of hundreds. Thought I got hit by a car.............lol (now) Just part of being rough and tumble bikers that we are. wink wink

·
Premium Member
1,184 Posts
Don't be too hard on yourself, life happens. I dumped my VLX and my Aero taking off with my steering locked.................lol
I did that once when I was in college. Jumped on my Honda CB750, acting all cool in front of a bunch of friends, had to turn to the left anyway to leave the dorm so didn't attempt to straighten it, let go the clutch and … crash! Very, very embarrassing! Dusted it off and rode off feeling completely humbled and pissed off.
:mad:

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Never did the handlebar-lock stunt, sounds like wheelie-saves-it time...NOT good when driving a chopper...

Out of habit I always straighten the bars, click into neutral (saves from frozen clutch plate vs. starter tip-overs), start, and blip the throttle first (checks the return spring), then slowly let out the clutch after warmup. That did save me from grabby-clutch and left-lock-flop once each. (Did a bunch of other stupid $%!^ though, and learned....like turning the fuel valve to Reserve instead of On, and then proceeding to not understand why flipping the valve killed the engine...)

DID forget the kickstand, once. I hear most people do it twice, which is one reason I encourage new riders to get a too-small-for-them used bike they can easily throw around. (and since I'm short one drop I'm really, really careful with the Jiffy Stand...LOL)

·
Premium Member
1,184 Posts
Yeh, I've done the kickstand trick a couple of times... or more. Get's your attention real good !

My best non-motorcycle trick ever was setting my coffee cup on the closed sunroof of my car while getting other things loaded, then forgetting said cup was there... got in... started car and opened sunroof ! Bullseye right on my head ! #$%^%$#@&&*&

·
Registered
11 Posts
Humility proves we're humans. I'm not too cool to have a laugh at my own expense. A long long time ago, I was changing my oil in the driveway, checked the stick, looked a little too much. I thought , I bet if it ran for a second it would be on the top line, So I reached up and pushed the starter. Guess what, I didn't put the cap back on,..............face got sprayed with oil mist. Didn't need eye patch that time

·
Registered
12,173 Posts
This quarantine and working from home is screwing with my head. So I decided to take the day "off" and do a few things around the house, mind you it was raining and has been for about a week, so around the house really meant inside, still. Most of the day spent in the garage cleaning, changing the oil and general maintenance on the wife's Tahoe, but ended the day changing the oil on the Fury. Plugs in, filter on, oil filled and checked. Time to start it up for a minute, still pouring rain so it's loud start sitting at the edge of the garage. Put it in gear to put it in its parking spot for the night instead of rolling it, and it dies. Huh, try again, and it dies. I try 3 times and give up, go inside, search the forum and go to bed baffled almost crying. Woke up an hour later, and realized I had the kickstand down! WHAT A DUMMY! Should be a decent day today and tomorrow, I need to get out and ride to get some fresh air, geesh.
Oh man, that's a good story. I'm curious though, I thought it would start with the kickstand down if you pull the clutch in. Guess I've never had this happen, so I don't know. Obviously it starts in neutral with the kickstand down.

I hate bullshit "safety" stuff like that anyway. I have never heard of anyone having an accident riding with the kickstand down. I can remember riding one of my old bikes when I was younger with the stand down and on a left turn it scraped, but it certainly didn't cause me to go down. I just kicked it up and kept riding.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts