Honda Fury Forums: banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone removed the baffles yet? If so how did it sound and run? How does it run without a fuel controller and intake. Mine should ship today so any advice about installation is welcome as well.

Thanks

·
Registered
500 Posts
Has anyone removed the baffles yet? If so how did it sound and run? How does it run without a fuel controller and intake. Mine should ship today so any advice about installation is welcome as well.

Thanks
I didn't remove the baffles, so I don't know how it'll sound, but I took a look at them before the heat shields went on when the tech was installing them for me (was a free install since I bought the bike there). It looked to me like each baffle is secured with two screws; did *not* appear to also be welded in place so it looked like they'd come out pretty easy. But since I didn't try to remove them all I can tell you is how they *appeared* to me. The pipes themselves went on pretty easy, but the heatshields took some .. ah .. tlc and jostling around to get seated properly, and you'll wanna be *very* careful on the back pipe especially since there's not a lot of clearance between the heat shield and the rear cylinder; it would be very easy to put a couple nasty scratches on that plastic chrome. If I ever take the heat shields off to remove the baffles I think I'd put something like Snider's paint guard on that chrome piece for peace of mind. Snider's Paint Guard - Paint Savers & Tank Protectors - Maintenance & Repairs - Prevent or Repair :: Aerostich/RiderWearHouse Motorcycle Jackets, Suits, Clothing, & Gear
Also, be careful when you're putting the clamps on; apparently they're slightly different sizes for the front and back pipe. The tech got the back heat shield on first, all secure and looking good, then had to go back and take it all off and reinstall because he'd put one of the clamps for the front heat shield (apparently they're longer) on the back. All told took him a little over an hour, but was the first set they'd installed; looked like it would go a lot easier the second time around. As for how it runs without a fuel controller: runs decent; I've had no backfiring whatsoever; get more sort of burbling on deceleration, but maybe that was there before and I just couldn't hear it with those quiet stock pipes. Where it does suffer without a fuel controller is at cold start and even after the motor is warmed up, until it's really pretty hot, it's very easy to cold-start-stall. The motor's like that anyway, imo, even with stock pipes, but I think now even moreso with the new pipes. A fuel controller is very high-priority for me now with the new pipes, as soon as one becomes available - I wanna wait for cobra's but not sure I have the patience for them to finally get them out there.
Anyways, that's about all I can think to tell you about it; lemme know if you install without the baffles and post a soundclip if you can; love to hear it myself. Hope it helps :cool:

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Stonewheel, Low and Mean just came out with their fuel controller. It is plug and play, so the install will be easy!!

·
Registered
829 Posts
What is the difference?

Are all fuel controllers basically the same or is one brand better? If so, what makes it better?

·
Registered
358 Posts
I'm not a tech guru but from my own costly experience I found there is a difference, check out the power commander/fuel thread.

·
Registered
32 Posts

Thanks
I did remove the baffles before I put the pipes on. I really didn't care for the sound really, it reminded me of the 1800 a little too much. In all fairness though I haven't received the FI mapper yet so I don't really know how much that will change the way it runs, which in turn should change the way it sounds. So, from an initial perspective, I really didn't care for it. I will try it again when I get the fuel programmer. Good luck!! I do like the sound of the Cobra swepts though! Also, the baffles are only held in by one allen screw on each pipe. They are fairly easy to remove if you have something to stick in there to get ahold of them. They come out better if you pull strait and don't twist.They curve with the pipe so if you twist they kind of hang up a little.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Stonewheel, Low and Mean just came out with their fuel controller. It is plug and play, so the install will be easy!!
I saw that Chopped, thx. When L&M answered my question about that in the vendor section, they said their controller is set for all their pipes, and should be *close* for other intake/pipe combinations, but they still recommend dyno testing. I might go ahead with their controller though; kinda would like to wait for cobra's to come out but gettin' tired of the delays. Although my dealer today said 2 weeks is what he's told by his two largest suppliers.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the responses. I have put two sets of Cobras on Suzuki M109's with the same heatshield setup so I know about those clamps Stonewheel. I read on other forums its MUCH easier to put them on prior to attaching the headers. I can confirm this. My set was supposed to ship today so I will probably get them next week. I know I will be taking the baffles out and leaving them out. I will try to post a clip if I can.

·
Registered
829 Posts
What did you not like?

I did remove the baffles before I put the pipes on. I really didn't care for the sound really, it reminded me of the 1800 a little too much. In all fairness though I haven't received the FI mapper yet so I don't really know how much that will change the way it runs, which in turn should change the way it sounds. So, from an initial perspective, I really didn't care for it. I will try it again when I get the fuel programmer. Good luck!! I do like the sound of the Cobra swepts though! Also, the baffles are only held in by one allen screw on each pipe. They are fairly easy to remove if you have something to stick in there to get ahold of them. They come out better if you pull strait and don't twist.They curve with the pipe so if you twist they kind of hang up a little.
What did you not like? Is it too loud or just a different sound? I am not familiar with the 1800 sound, but if you can post a clip it would be great. How much louder are they without the baffles? Are we talking about getting a ticket louder or just louder?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Heres a pic of the top baffle, thing is huge. Its definitely too loud for my area with the bafffles out. It also loses that "tuned" sound. It does sound like a crazy burly motorcycle though. Real similar to what it sounds like when you take the muffler off and leave the stock pipes on. and as a side note, its pretty tricky to get the baffles in and the screw hole lined up again.

I prefer how they sound with the baffles in, nice and deep when idling, and just a bit muted as you are riding.

·
Registered
32 Posts
What did you not like? Is it too loud or just a different sound? I am not familiar with the 1800 sound, but if you can post a clip it would be great. How much louder are they without the baffles? Are we talking about getting a ticket louder or just louder?
It had a bottled sound. I dont know I just didn't care for it. As far as how loud it was? Holy cow it was loud!! I dont know how the local law enforcement is in your area but I'm guessing that just letting out of the throttle won't do the trick you would have to completely engage the clutch to make it quiet quick!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts