Honda Fury Forums: banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so I finally pulled the trigger on getting a fury. was at an ok deal but I kinda beat the dealer up in the deal and worked out well for me... so now I have my very own project bike. the path I was going to take body wise hit a dead end as all the the VN Customs body kits and fairings are GONE. no dealers seem to have them so if anyone knows where I can pick some u, please drop me a line. I had a huge list written down but I didnt have many details on the list, now I am scratching my head as to what items I was looking at (last year).... so gonna break down questions in sections and let you all brain storm. and yes Im taking on a storm of projects in the very very near future.

with VN Customs out of the question at least for now. looking into Tsukayu fairing and saddlebags (as a temp measure?). Im open to other options if anyone has suggestions. or if anyone knows where they would have these already in stock. or are there other options like any Harley parts that can fit? if need be I can knock out a quick paint job on them myself.

currently looking at the forcewind kit, but its a little on the pricey side, I can get a spike kit from amazon for 80-95 bucks, but what adapters would I need to make it work? I notice the forcewind and thunder air intakes both have mods to make them fit.

Im leaning V&H pipes for the sound but not a fan of their stockish looks sigh what ever pipes I get has to allow for a passenger peg setup, and not be ultra short... or and loud and growly grins seems the pipes I was hoping to get arent made anymore either (American thunders I think they were called)

I DESPERATELY need new bars (bad lower back and after a car accedent few years back, bad vertibrea between the shoulders. I rode a used one last year as a test ride, and they were much more comfortable. looking for a set of risers (with pull back?) and then a more standard set of bars or mini apes that dont run straight across from tip to tip. I need the bars to come back about 4 inches total at minimum.

things I know Im getting are the 8* rake kit and 23" wheels, the king and queen seats from corbin. adjustable air ride system (any suggestions on brand/models? there is a local custom shop that makes them here but open to other options). and is the gentleman that was doing ECU re-flashes still doing it? or where else can I go to get them done in short order? Im hoping to get most of this done in the next week if possible.

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
If you want exhausts quick, you will be forced to go with the big names. They are the only ones that might have stock on hand. Cobra swepts are popular. I went Hacker, but even then I had to wait. Risers, I am not sure about as I don't know if the Cannellas are still being made. As for the reflash, Guhl is the only one doing it. But he has a wicked quick turn around. If you FedEx it out on Monday, you can have it back by the end of the week usually.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
how do I contact Guhl?
I'll probably get V&H slips ons for now till I can find the perfect ones or have some true duals custom made. I have a guy thats awesome with pipes but he is busy until mid-late winter usually. amazing mechanic at 45 bucks and hour? he stays busy lol.

P,S, anyone know what the bolt size and thread count is for the fury triple tree? I think I found the right risers for putting on standard bars, but before paying $230 for them I figure make sure they will fit lol.

·
Registered
2010 Silver Fury
98 Posts
Cannella risers are still being made. I forgot where I bought mine, but it wasn’t more than 6 months ago. Also, consider what seat, if any, you are going to add. This will effectively “pull back” the bars if you sit any higher than stock. I have the V&H slip ons and love them. I like the look. To me they look 50’s classic, but still with that Rock N’ Roll attitude. They sound great. Not too loud. But you can hear them, for sure.
Guhl Motors - (717) 618-4212
Definitely call and talk to them. I’ve heard they don’t keep up to date on emails. Search “holy grail condensed” here and you will find all the info you need. Great company, and, like Ordinary said super fast turn around time. Great mod to the Fury once you have intake sorted out and some pipes you like. I can’t stay out of the throttle now. You could try getting in touch with Kbuskill if you have questions/concerns about the reflash. It’s his baby. (Thanks again, Ken). Good luck. Wish I could help more, but I don’t know about the other stuff you asked about. Someone else that does will chime in, I’m sure.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cannella risers are still being made. I forgot where I bought mine, but it wasn’t more than 6 months ago. Also, consider what seat, if any, you are going to add. This will effectively “pull back” the bars if you sit any higher than stock. I have the V&H slip ons and love them. I like the look. To me they look 50’s classic, but still with that Rock N’ Roll attitude. They sound great. Not too loud. But you can hear them, for sure.
Guhl Motors - (717) 618-4212
Definitely call and talk to them. I’ve heard they don’t keep up to date on emails. Search “holy grail condensed” here and you will find all the info you need. Great company, and, like Ordinary said super fast turn around time. Great mod to the Fury once you have intake sorted out and some pipes you like. I can’t stay out of the throttle now. You could try getting in touch with Kbuskill if you have questions/concerns about the reflash. It’s his baby. (Thanks again, Ken). Good luck. Wish I could help more, but I don’t know about the other stuff you asked about. Someone else that does will chime in, I’m sure.
Getting the Kind and Queen seat from Corbin. it'll help some for sure (about an inch), but the cannella risers gives about 1 inches. so Im off about 2 inchs for bare minimum, 5 inches of pull back is my goal line but 4 is dead minimum for me to stay on it for more than 30 minutes at a time.

thanks for the contact info! thats awesome! and thats the forum thread that had me even think about the re-flash. I was gonna get a fuel controller and the search brought up that thread. heard some of the bikes that had been re-flashed and count me in specially with the numbers they were posting on the dyno.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I maybe giving up on this project sadly, Ive been wanting to deck a fury out, had all the part numbers on a note pad, and had the web sites saved in my favorites linking directly to the item sale pages.

but now I can not find about half of the major parts anywhere. fender, saddlebags, fairing, the original exhaust I wanted, the original intake system, or the adapters.. so I may be taking it in the shorts either tomorrow or the next day and talking to some dealerships around the area for as good of deal as I can get for my Harley and the Fury. why have a project bike when you cant get half way through it. sigh

·
Registered
162 Posts
I maybe giving up on this project sadly, Ive been wanting to deck a fury out ... so I may be taking it in the shorts either tomorrow or the next day and talking to some dealerships around the area for as good of deal as I can get for my Harley and the Fury. why have a project bike when you cant get half way through it. sigh
Hear me out, this is going to be long winded..

When the Fury came out was when I sold my Shadow back to the dealer (economy sucked and had to choose bike or truck payments)
When I saw the Fury, told the wife that will be my next bike. Economy got worse, shop closed, had to take a lower paying job, worked my ass off to stay on top of bills, paid off wifes car and my truck. The entire time kept telling my self soon. Like you I would look at what could be done, thinking of the look I wanted and from time to time look at what was out there. Not sure about your area but Furys are rare here. I know of one other in my county (and is a member here)
When the time came to get my Fury, it was an emotional rollercoaster. Had the money (was not going to take the hit and buy new this time) and started looking. Found a Blue 10 for 6500, 1500 over blue book. Got them down to 6k but walked. For months I could not find another. Then it happened, found a black 10 private sale for 4800 and only 9k miles. Becouse of my hours, had to wait for the week end to call. Weekend came, went to pull up the add and was devastated. It was gone.
After a few days I started the search again and found a Saber. On a whim while the wife and I were out I took a look at the Saber.
It was clean, priced right and could work with it when my wife out of nowhere asked how long they had it on the lot. (Didn't click it the time but not something she would normally ask) Dealer said about month and I was the first to look at it. Wife tells me, lets run our errands first, you can mull it over and we can come back later. (She knows I will haggle on the price)
We run our errands when she gets a call from our daughter asking for help with a flat. When we get there I don't see her and I'm thinking somethings not right. I walk around the car, no flat tire. As I'm wondering what the hell is going on, daughter comes out of a garage followed by the homeowner.
Before I could ask about the tire, daughter tells me I got to check out this bike and starts pulling me towards the garage. I get in there and there it is. The black 10 I thought I lost out on. Turns out wife called the owner, explained the situation and set it up as a surprise. They were originally going to wait for Christmas but with me looking at the Saber, that changed.
Having said all that, I get what you are saying. Like you I had this vision of what I was going to do. I have had to reinvent that vision a few time in the last 18 months but no matter what, I will be riding something most people have not seen. The fact that bolt on parts are hard to find makes the changes that are done to the bike more unique. The challenge of finding something and making it work adds to that one off custom bike look.
From the first day I would get asked if I did all the mods even though it was stock. I could not say yes. Now when asked I can start pointing out what I have done. Things I have added I gloss over (grips, mirrors, lights) and focus on things I have modified or made.
When I see people stopping to look, complementing at stop lights, getting thumbs up as I ride by tells me no matter what, the Fury is like no other factory bike.

Sorry for the wall of text

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hear me out, this is going to be long winded..

When the Fury came out was when I sold my Shadow back to the dealer (economy sucked and had to choose bike or truck payments)
When I saw the Fury, told the wife that will be my next bike. Economy got worse, shop closed, had to take a lower paying job, worked my ass off to stay on top of bills, paid off wifes car and my truck. The entire time kept telling my self soon. Like you I would look at what could be done, thinking of the look I wanted and from time to time look at what was out there. Not sure about your area but Furys are rare here. I know of one other in my county (and is a member here)
When the time came to get my Fury, it was an emotional rollercoaster. Had the money (was not going to take the hit and buy new this time) and started looking. Found a Blue 10 for 6500, 1500 over blue book. Got them down to 6k but walked. For months I could not find another. Then it happened, found a black 10 private sale for 4800 and only 9k miles. Becouse of my hours, had to wait for the week end to call. Weekend came, went to pull up the add and was devastated. It was gone.
After a few days I started the search again and found a Saber. On a whim while the wife and I were out I took a look at the Saber.
It was clean, priced right and could work with it when my wife out of nowhere asked how long they had it on the lot. (Didn't click it the time but not something she would normally ask) Dealer said about month and I was the first to look at it. Wife tells me, lets run our errands first, you can mull it over and we can come back later. (She knows I will haggle on the price)
We run our errands when she gets a call from our daughter asking for help with a flat. When we get there I don't see her and I'm thinking somethings not right. I walk around the car, no flat tire. As I'm wondering what the hell is going on, daughter comes out of a garage followed by the homeowner.
Before I could ask about the tire, daughter tells me I got to check out this bike and starts pulling me towards the garage. I get in there and there it is. The black 10 I thought I lost out on. Turns out wife called the owner, explained the situation and set it up as a surprise. They were originally going to wait for Christmas but with me looking at the Saber, that changed.
Having said all that, I get what you are saying. Like you I had this vision of what I was going to do. I have had to reinvent that vision a few time in the last 18 months but no matter what, I will be riding something most people have not seen. The fact that bolt on parts are hard to find makes the changes that are done to the bike more unique. The challenge of finding something and making it work adds to that one off custom bike look.
From the first day I would get asked if I did all the mods even though it was stock. I could not say yes. Now when asked I can start pointing out what I have done. Things I have added I gloss over (grips, mirrors, lights) and focus on things I have modified or made.
When I see people stopping to look, complementing at stop lights, getting thumbs up as I ride by tells me no matter what, the Fury is like no other factory bike.

Sorry for the wall of text
I completely get that, I looked into how to make molds for doing fiber glass, the processes, what makes better things, what is more likely to leave errors.even called fiberglass material places to get prices on things. I had dont this for my 1800VTX-R. the cost was ok-ish, but the after time spent learning, making mistakes has to be figured into it (not gonna be perfect first shot). the metal fabrication I dont have the tools, now have I ever done any serious welding, just spot tacked temporary holds on a couple of things (lets just say they were ugly lol). Saturday I looked into pipe bending... all of this takes serious time and tools that can get expensive fast. for reasonable cost of tools and materials to "get it right" I would be looking at the cost of my harley and fully customizing that. my 15k project (cost of bike and all mods) turned into closer to 30k if I paid someone else to fabricate parts (if I can find one willing to do non Harley bikes). or 20-25k if I do it myself.

it would be sometime next year before I could get bags and fairing on (I take lots of trips and use my bags a LOT) some parts I wouldnt be able to make ever as I dont have a large CNC metal machine. long story short, it would turn into just another bar hopping chopper and not counting the furies running around, there are a lot of Big Dogs, Thunder Mountains, and other custom from frame up jobs around here in that category. the fury choppers are drowned out in the mix. especially in the parades my group rides in (Legion Riders (which rise to raise money for charities, mostly for veterans tho).

Im still mulling it over... cause I KNOW what CAN be done, I just am not sure about the time and cost. and not having something ride-able for a good year to come. I think it comes more down to how insulting the dealership is to me over the next two days. Im a little upside down on my harley, but they are offering 110% on metric trade ins towards newer model bikes. and what I talked the dealer down too for the fury, Id actually come out ahead on that one.

·
Registered
2010 Silver Fury
98 Posts
Just seems quick to decide you’re done with a bike you just bought. If all you were looking for was a “project”, just look for one of the older tried and true models that there are a zillion parts for. You can find anything for older Honda’s and Harley’s. Even things like the Bonnevilles. If you just wanted a “chopper”, then do it right and chop a Harley that someone doesn’t want anymore because it “doesn’t run”. I guess I just don’t understand why someone would put all this effort and energy and money into something, then turn around one day later and give up. Am I missing something? I love my Fury. I’m slowly making it my own, but I’m not trying to make it something it’s not or something completely different from what it was designed to be. Maybe I’m just lame? I don’t get it. I’m not trying to be condescending or tell anyone else what is right for them, but you went from super excited to throwing in the towel in what seems like hours? Give it a chance. Take it for a ride. Sleep on it. Play around with it. See what’s possible. Then decide. Just my .02 cents. Take it for what it’s worth.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Low and Mean still has some badass body parts available (IMO)

Accutronix still produces some awesome bracket stuff and adapters.

Bad Boys on eBay makes some nice stuff.

Smokin Tyre Garage makes sick exhaust altho its handmade you gotta be patient..mines still about 2 weeks away.

Also good luck finding a water cooled shaft driven chopper with Honda reliability and a soft-tail to boot.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I completely get what you are saying, I agree they still have cool parts out there, but the bike would be a differant beast than what my needs/tastes are.

if I ever get to the point where bills are better and my primary vehicle is paid off or I am far enough ahead to drop cash on a used one, thats what I'll do.

I did talk to the dealership here and they gave me a good deal... wellllll... lets say I am really good at talking, being in a bad spot on both bikes really (my slightly older harley and the fury), I brought them to a point that I was breaking even on the fury, and my harley I almost got full value, so part of my down payment that I'd put on the fury actually went to the new bike, already has the bags, low-ish slung, and other bells and whistles. and my interest rate was way better. the dealer that sold me the fury told me 6.9% financing... I looked at the paper today while dealing and it was 16.9% !!!!!!!

it's not my dream tricked out bagger fury, but its next best thing.

I will say that you guys have been awesome, really enjoyed reading the posts, specially the creative mod ones :)

if no one objects Id like to stick around the forums. Ive already sent others that didnt know about the forums this way to learn about their furies. :)

·
Registered
202 Posts
if no one objects Id like to stick around the forums. Ive already sent others that didnt know about the forums this way to learn about their furies. :)
"The more the merrier." ... I've owned my '92 Civic since '06 and have gotten a lot of good info on that forum...which is why I searched for a Fury forum as soon as I got my bike. A lot of good technical, part, maintenance, mod info here that goes way back. So, whether it's a 2010, a 2020, or in between, this is the place for straight answers and great ideas from Fury owners around the world. Today's Honda engineering still lives up to a popular old saying from back in the 70's: "Fix a Harley. Ride a Honda!"🤞:geek:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts