Honda Fury Forums: banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
12,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, it wasn't intentional, but I did a rain test on the Cobra air intake. Got caught in the rain and road about 60 miles. It wasn't a total downpour, but it was enough that every stitch of clothing I was wearing was wringing wet. My shoes were squishing when I got off the bike.

Either water got in the breather and the engine didn't mind it, or somehow that screen on there was able to keep a lot of rain out. I don't know, but either way, you can ride in the rain with the Cobra PowerFlo intake. Again, it wasn't a super hard rain, because when it came down that hard I had to pull over because it hurt my face. However, it was enough to soak me to the bone.

·
Registered
12,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the head's up....how was the ride, other than the rain?
It was only about a 200 mile round trip, but it was a blast, other than the rain. While it was a great test for the Cobra intake due to the rain, it wasn't a good enough test for the C&C seat since it was a short ride, but I can tell you that I was extremely comfortable and had no pain whatsoever.

·
Premium Member
5,715 Posts
It was only about a 200 mile round trip, but it was a blast, other than the rain. While it was a great test for the Cobra intake due to the rain, it wasn't a good enough test for the C&C seat since it was a short ride, but I can tell you that I was extremely comfortable and had no pain whatsoever.
Thanks, I gotta save some money for the seat. My wife's Honda Civic is due to have the timing belt replaced.....the highway robbery on that replacement would be the cost of a seat and an intake for the bike>...:mad: Guess I'll have to wait on the seat....my wishlist for my bike still includes the C&C Seat, S&S Teardrop intake, taller sissy bar, different handlebars, and a biker's friend bag to lean on. :)

Did you notice any difference in power since you put the cobra intake on?

·
Registered
12,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, I gotta save some money for the seat. My wife's Honda Civic is due to have the timing belt replaced.....the highway robbery on that replacement would be the cost of a seat and an intake for the bike>...:mad: Guess I'll have to wait on the seat....my wishlist for my bike still includes the C&C Seat, S&S Teardrop intake, taller sissy bar, different handlebars, and a biker's friend bag to lean on. :)

Did you notice any difference in power since you put the cobra intake on?
Well, when I first put it on, the bike ran worse. I'm assuming the extra air caused it to run lean. I adjusted each pot setting up just one notch and it seems to run just as good as it ever did. So, instead of 1-2-0, I'm now at 2-3-1. Perhaps I could increase the power by bumping up the fuel controller a bit more, but I haven't tried that yet. I was just happy that I could get it to run as well as it did before.

·
Premium Member
5,715 Posts
Well, when I first put it on, the bike ran worse. I'm assuming the extra air caused it to run lean. I adjusted each pot setting up just one notch and it seems to run just as good as it ever did. So, instead of 1-2-0, I'm now at 2-3-1. Perhaps I could increase the power by bumping up the fuel controller a bit more, but I haven't tried that yet. I was just happy that I could get it to run as well as it did before.
Reason I asked is because S&S says there is a power gain....just wondered if it'd be the same for the cobra intake.....I'm running rich on mine, stock air, gotta lean it out a little and get more miles before light....did you take yours to the light before refueling on the trip? If so, how far before the light came on?

·
Registered
12,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Reason I asked is because S&S says there is a power gain....just wondered if it'd be the same for the cobra intake.....I'm running rich on mine, stock air, gotta lean it out a little and get more miles before light....did you take yours to the light before refueling on the trip? If so, how far before the light came on?
It actually seems to be getting around the same mileage. Before it was around 115 and on this trip I believe it was at 112 when the light came on.

·
Premium Member
13,704 Posts
Well, it wasn't intentional, but I did a rain test on the Cobra air intake. Got caught in the rain and road about 60 miles. It wasn't a total downpour, but it was enough that every stitch of clothing I was wearing was wringing wet. My shoes were squishing when I got off the bike.

Either water got in the breather and the engine didn't mind it, or somehow that screen on there was able to keep a lot of rain out. I don't know, but either way, you can ride in the rain with the Cobra PowerFlo intake. Again, it wasn't a super hard rain, because when it came down that hard I had to pull over because it hurt my face. However, it was enough to soak me to the bone.
thanks steveo.i have been rain testing my spike intake for 5 weeks now.havent been able to find any rain so i guess ill just keep testing.good excuse as any i know of.ride safe

·
Premium Member
5,715 Posts
It actually seems to be getting around the same mileage. Before it was around 115 and on this trip I believe it was at 112 when the light came on.
Dang, that's good....mine comes on between 87 and 91.... I've got to adjust my controller back to the original settings for the Fury and see what's up....hopefully I can squeeze 10 more miles out of it before the light comes on....whenever I go on any benefit rides, I have to gas up way before anyone else does....I've only been in one with another fury and that guy isn't on the list.

·
Registered
12,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Maybe its time for a full coverage helmet on those longer rides ;). You gotta take care of your complexion for those bachelor days ahead :rolleyes:.
LOL Those hard hitting rain drops probably helped clean out my pores. :rolleyes:

I actually spent a lot of money on a full face helmet, that I never wear. :eek: It sure would've been nice to have that day.

·
Registered
12,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Dang, that's good....mine comes on between 87 and 91.... I've got to adjust my controller back to the original settings for the Fury and see what's up....hopefully I can squeeze 10 more miles out of it before the light comes on....whenever I go on any benefit rides, I have to gas up way before anyone else does....I've only been in one with another fury and that guy isn't on the list.
Wow! You must be running rich. What are your settings, or are you not using an Fi2000r? How does the bike run?

I've never had the light come on before 100 miles, unless I just run it like a mad man every time I get on the bike.

·
Premium Member
6,195 Posts
Guessing you never got your settings figured out for your Fuggin? Have you messed with them at all since that thread?

·
Premium Member
5,715 Posts
Guessing you never got your settings figured out for your Fuggin? Have you messed with them at all since that thread?
No, haven't messed with them...I know it's running rich...and my pipes are blued from the heads to the first bend in the pipes.....so i figure I'll just reset them to the original fury settings and wait until I get an air intake before messing with them.....got some blujob, but haven't used it yet....never messed with bluing pipes before, but I figure I'll just wait until I have the intake and settings the way I ultimately want, then try to get some of the bluing out, if any.....like I said, I'm not familiar with removing bluing......

·
Premium Member
5,715 Posts
Wow! You must be running rich. What are your settings, or are you not using an Fi2000r? How does the bike run?

I've never had the light come on before 100 miles, unless I just run it like a mad man every time I get on the bike.
No, I'm running a fuggin controller...bike runs good, especially since I blocked the pair valve (haven't put plates on yet, just blocked the hose for now).....

I'm quick on the take off and run high speeds (unless the law is at their favorite spots)....I don't rev at lights or anything.....just go when it's green.....

·
Registered
12,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
No, haven't messed with them...I know it's running rich...and my pipes are blued from the heads to the first bend in the pipes.....so i figure I'll just reset them to the original fury settings and wait until I get an air intake before messing with them.....got some blujob, but haven't used it yet....never messed with bluing pipes before, but I figure I'll just wait until I have the intake and settings the way I ultimately want, then try to get some of the bluing out, if any.....like I said, I'm not familiar with removing bluing......
I thought bluing occurred when bike is running lean and hot. Does running rich cause bluing also, or am I just backwards? :confused:

·
Premium Member
5,715 Posts
I thought bluing occurred when bike is running lean and hot. Does running rich cause bluing also, or am I just backwards? :confused:
No, I think you're right.....mine started browning and bluing before I got my controller set rich....I guess the constant running at high speeds has just made it go mostly blue. either way, against the black bike, it just looks like the pipes are shaded in that area...doesn't look bad to me.....but I won't be a happy camper if it goes farther down the pipes....I love the way they sound..

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Check around places like eastwood.com they have special stuff to remove bluing from chrome pipes.

·
Super Moderator
4,476 Posts
Glad to hear the update Steveo but I still think drinking the six pack of beer and then wissing on the intake side of the engine while its running would have served as a better test for the intake and you wouldn't have gotten as wet.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts