Honda Fury Forums: banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im thinking about pulling the trigger on the Raw stealth Taillight, but do to the regulations in the glorious state of VA, I need to figure out if this is plausible.

So, in VA, you are not allowed to have integrated blinkers and stop lights. However, in VA you can can 0 turn signals on your bike and still be street legal (yes I know this makes no sense).

Is there a way to bypass the blinks and just use the Raw stealth as a run/brake light?

Also, is it possible to take off the turn signal switch? Has anyone done this? I would have to take off the front turns and the switch as well to be considered street legal...

Thanks for the help.

·
Premium Member
6,195 Posts
You can get them to have a center stop light and turns on it as well. For the right and left side, separated by the center stop light. Check out this link:

Radiantz LED Lighting

·
Premium Member
801 Posts
I would recommend not using the turn signal switch - and when you wire it up not wire up the signals so even if you do use the turn signal switch it wont flash.

·
Premium Member
2,560 Posts
I would recommend not using the turn signal switch - and when you wire it up not wire up the signals so even if you do use the turn signal switch it wont flash.
Check the state laws carefully, in Illinois turn signals are not required BUT if they are on the bike they must work

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I will get you the link after work. But in VA if you have turnsignals (to include the turn signal switch) they have to function

·
Registered
275 Posts
it all works

I will get you the link after work. But in VA if you have turnsignals (to include the turn signal switch) they have to function
Everything works but it is just one line of LEDs. Oh well, I am a military guy that will be moving this summer anyways so i will have to deal with some other states laws!

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here is the link to the VA yearly saftey inspection:
LIS > Administrative Code > 19VAC30-70-360

Some snippets... integration is ok, but there has to be 9 inches apart, which is what will get me, unliess I kill all turn signals and housing.

"Signal devices are not required on motorcycles; however, if installed, they must operate and be inspected."

"Signal lamps installed on the rear of the motorcycle shall be red or amber and shall be located on each side of the vertical centerline of the motorcycle as far apart as practicable but not closer than nine inches, measured from the optical centerline of the lens, and shall be located on the same level and not less than 20 inches above the ground level."

·
Registered
275 Posts
Pnasty, thanks, you rock! My bike is registered in North Dakota and I just re-up'ed for another year since I am military. So I don't need to get an inspection here which is nice. I do have some new pipes coming which I expect to be a little louder than the cobras I have...so we'll see what happens with that.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I learned my lesson the hard way a few years back when I the same type of tail lights on my CBR. I got out of the army (in woodbridge) and transferred my plates from CO to VA and couldnt pass my inspection to save my life... So I rode around for the next two years with no saftey inspection.

I seem to be a cop magnet lately (no offense ACECHOPPER), and am not willing to chance it if I dont have too.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I hear you! I have been lucky and have not been pulled over yet (knock on wood). If we can break out of the 40s we should get the other VA fury guys and can go down to Hooters or the Buffalo Wild Wing down there.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sounds like a plan!! I know ACECHOPPER and a few more in the Northern VA area were talking about getting together... Of course on a day I wont freeze my balls off.

·
Premium Member
2,482 Posts
For what it's worth, the 11" Chromeglow unit I installed has 2.4" of amber LEDs for turns on either side of the brake section (6.2"). That puts the LED turn sections exactly 8.6" apart, center to center.

Not sure if that would cut it for ya.

This one on ebay HONDA FURY 10 11 LED FENDER ELIMINATOR INTEGRATED - eBay (item 130433805882 end time Jan-17-11 16:25:26 PST) looks like the turn signal sections might be smaller, which would give you 9" in between. You could ask the vendor, or maybe someone here has this one installed.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I took the bike out yesterday and FROZE! It was cold. I don't have good winter riding gloves and need to go and get some but not sure how much I will use them. i was nice to get out on the bike though!

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
For what it's worth, the 11" Chromeglow unit I installed has 2.4" of amber LEDs for turns on either side of the brake section (6.2"). That puts the LED turn sections exactly 8.6" apart, center to center.

Not sure if that would cut it for ya.

This one on ebay HONDA FURY 10 11 LED FENDER ELIMINATOR INTEGRATED - eBay (item 130433805882 end time Jan-17-11 16:25:26 PST) looks like the turn signal sections might be smaller, which would give you 9" in between. You could ask the vendor, or maybe someone here has this one installed.
I think this might work... I will email him... Thanks

·
Premium Member
6,195 Posts
Here is the link to the VA yearly saftey inspection:
LIS > Administrative Code > 19VAC30-70-360

Some snippets... integration is ok, but there has to be 9 inches apart, which is what will get me, unliess I kill all turn signals and housing.

"Signal devices are not required on motorcycles; however, if installed, they must operate and be inspected."

"Signal lamps installed on the rear of the motorcycle shall be red or amber and shall be located on each side of the vertical centerline of the motorcycle as far apart as practicable but not closer than nine inches, measured from the optical centerline of the lens, and shall be located on the same level and not less than 20 inches above the ground level."
Here, go to this website and ask them, somebody from your area is sure to know. Ask a Cop

·
Registered
675 Posts
My Mechanic said the Raw Design would never pass Inspection in Va. I did Get the T-light From MFR. They Had concerns about it,but looked at mikes work and said that it was top notch. Kinda not legal....but they said they would pass it. Pnasty....if you go with the MFR T-light...I can tell you were to go to get the inspection. The Va State Troopers here are Real Bad....They will even write up a cop....and they will tow that bike! so keep the Inspection current.:D

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1940... I have about 0 mechanical ability naturally and I was able to do the T-light mod from MFR within 30 minutes.... That being said, the rear fender is easy to take off and from what others have said the Raw lights are plug and play the same way the MFR lights are.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts