Honda Fury Forums: banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been struck with a bit of bad luck, due to ignorance, carelessness, stupidity and lastly anal retentiveness.

I bought some bad a$$ pipes for the bike, loved (notice past tense) them. Wasn't sure at first. I was thinking they maybe too loud for me but after my first ride I didn't want anything other than what I had. Very happy.. and this is about where my sad story starts.

When I got the exhaust and fuel controller it was dialed in for an open intake. I called the manufacture and asked how to change the fuel controller to support the stock intake. He told me and I made the suggested changes and went for the inaugural ride. Only about 110 miles or so. On my way back I stopped for gas, and noticed there was some pipe discoloration. :confused:

I finished the ride, went to my local dealer, they said to me, wow those pipes look great, but your fuel controller needs to be adjusted and your bike tuned. Try this Blue *** to remove the discoloration on the exhaust. So I bought the crap and tried it in an inconspicuous place on the exhaust when I got home. It worked, I guess.. but it left little scratches on the chrome.:( Because of those scratches I decided to hold off on going any further, until I knew I could get those scratches out of the chrome I didn't want to do anything more. Also to my suprise, I had burnt my pants on the exhaust and I had fibers melted to it that wouldn't easily come off.

I went to a different bike shop and explained my plight. They told me, that some discoloration is going to be common on aftermarket pipes and as long as it doesn't surpass 30% of the pipe, not to worry about it. They also told me that if the discoloration is only a light bronze (which it is), I'm tuned pretty good. Now mind you, I'm goofy about detail. I wanted my bike perfectly tuned I didn't want any blemishes on my pipes at all.. in an effort to make sure I did everything mechanically I could, I had found a dyno shop to tune my bike. I was holding off on doing that until I received my intake.

So in any case, they told me to not worry about it, but they gave me this chrome polish and told me to try it on the bike to get the burnt pant fibers off the exhaust and try it on the aforementioned scratches from the blue ****. :eek: So I did!

I know this is long, but I'm coming to the end... I tried this polish, it didn't do squat on the light scratches.. I grabbed my micro fiber cloth and went to town on the pant fibers.. and guess what?!? I grabbed the wrong polish!! Yeah, I grabbed the abrasive blue *** and successfully scratched the S**t out of my pipes.

Not mind you it's not horrible. In some lights you don't see it.. for example if I sit in my dark garage holding a birthday candle tilting my head with my eyes half closed welted up with tears.. you hardly notice it.

WTF.:mad:

As I said before, I've been struck with a bit of bad luck, due to ignorance, carelessness, stupidity and lastly anal retentiveness.

What options does one half when some crap like this happens? I've been polishing this for 3 days (when I get out of work) and now I have really shiny scratches. Everything I have read indicates that if you scratch your chrome, your S.O.L.

I've also read that chromers won't re-chrome pipes if they've been used because the carbon build up inside the pipe could contaminate their tanks?

I've only ridden once with them!

Any suggestions? I've been hesitant to post this because I feel like a total, choad.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Call a chrome plating shop, a bike detailer, and an auto detailer. One of the three should be able to get light scratches out of the chrome by buffing them with a commercial buffer. They are the professionals & should be able to help with your problem. As a last resort,…..black pipes are getting popular.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. Tried a detailer, he told me no go. Metal is metal and he wouldn't be able to get the scratches out. Trying a chromer, but I haven't heard back from them yet.

I have a feeling the carbon contamination might be a problem. Though I'm holding out hope.

·
Premium Member
1,995 Posts
Pictures? What kind of pipes? If they are Fuggin pipes (I hope not) but they make heat shields, maybe covering it up will cost less in the long run. Have you called the exhaust manufacturer for assistance?

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I didn't take pictures, as I'm trying to stay ambiguous as to what pipes I have as I don't want my ignorance to some how be linked to a vendor. I have not called the manufacture since my original call, but maybe a heat shield would work? I think heat shields detract from the appearance of the bike, but it would be functional and might get me to stop freaking out.

I know it's pathetic to be as high strung as I am, but I have actually have lost sleep over this!!

I guess my forum handle turned out to be a self fulfilling prophecy.

·
Premium Member
1,995 Posts
lol, for some reason, I thought that's where you got your name from :D

·
Registered
68 Posts
Pictures? What kind of pipes? If they are Fuggin pipes (I hope not) but they make heat shields, maybe covering it up will cost less in the long run. Have you called the exhaust manufacturer for assistance?
My wife put her boot directing on the hot pipes (different bike) and melted through her boots before she realized her feet weren't on the foot pegs. :eek:I found that Easy Off Oven Cleaner sprayed on the pipes while they're hot worked well on getting 98 % of the cooked rubber off. I used a hard plastic disposable putty knife to scrape away the rubber as the pipes cooled a bit. It took several attempts to get it to the point where I used a wet terry cloth towel to scrub away the next 1 %. Over time the last .75% just kind of burned away by itself. But it never was exactley perfect.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Don't feel bad, your not the only one with the curse

Scratch, Don't feel bad, I've got a story of my own extremely similar to yours. I bought a new set of the Mortons, a PCV, and spike intake with L&M adaptor. Intake and pipes came last Friday, and the PCV and L&M adaptor to show up this afternoon.

So last Friday I decided I couldn't hold out and had to install my pipes. Went well at first, until I fired the bike up and could hear an exhaust leak coming from the front cylinder. We shut it off, waited a few for them to cool down, and took them back off, and reinstall the front pipe, still leaking (used new gaskets and everything). Loosened it again, and couldn't get it to seat properly. In the midst of all this, I had a microfiber rag in my hand while I was listening to hear the leak, and wouldn't you know the rag it the pipe, and instantly melted a big patch right on there :eek: Freaked out like you, and tried all kinds of stuff and couldn't get the crap off. Scrubbed, polished etc for hours, and managed to only get 50% off (also scratched the chrome a little).

Finally Monday I called my dealer, and being the awesome guys they are, told me to big the bike down, and they could take care of it for me. He used a Mr. Clean eraser bar, and some chrome polish and it took the burnt rag off with a little elbow grease and some of the scratches. His mechanic also told me that the leak issue is common with alot of custom exhaust, and he could order some kind of spacer, etc, and fix the problem. Wednesday i took the bike back, and he was able to reseat the front pipe just fine, and now no more leak :D Pipes sound awesome and run great. Didn't charge me a penny either to fix the problem!

Now while all this was going on, they told me to go ahead a ride the bike, leak won't hurt anything, so I did all week long! No coloration, etc, but had a little burping on decel. After they got the exhaust sealed properly, I went out for a decent ride last night with some friends, and this morning, noticed I have a slight "bronze" color right on the bend coming out of the ports.:eek: Not bad, but like you, didn't want any discoloration, and thought I again screwed my new pipes up.:mad: Talked with several people, mechanics, dealers, dyno shop, etc, and all say they same thing, that it is very difficult to keep straight pipes w/o heat shields from coloring a little but as long as they weren't "bluing" the bike was running ok.

They also told me about the Blue ____ but hadn't tried it yet, and after reading your post, I'm sure glad I didn't. After thinking about it, rode the bike again today :cool: Not going to worry about the minor discoloration and just enjoy my bike. If it gets to the point I can't tolerate it, the heat shields will be my resort to cover up the problem.

Good luck, and hope it works out for you!!!

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks FL! Some how it makes me feel better knowing that this has happened to someone else! I guess misery loves company!

you mentioned "He used a Mr. Clean eraser bar, and some chrome polish and it took the burnt rag off with a little elbow grease and some of the scratches."

I read about that in this article:
The 'Enemies' Of Hot Looking Chrome Pipes
Now maybe I'm gun shy at this point, but I was afraid to try it. As it seems, I have a negative "Midas" touch! You know.. everything I touch turns to ....

·
Premium Member
6,731 Posts
I think it goes without saying that probably everyone on this list has a story to tell. :eek: Kinda like the time I… Sorry, I’m not even gonna go there! Anyway, your not alone, believe me.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
To all that have taken the time to read this.. this ordeal stinks, but I guess it works out when you buy from the right people. Fuggin Fabrication might not be the big guys in town when it comes to exhausts, but they make a really great looking product that performs well. More importantly, they work with people. They haven't forgotten what service is and haven't put the all mighty dollar before the customer.

This is my second positive experience with them. If you're thinking about buying from them.. do it. You won't regret it.

:cool:

Thanks FF.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts