Honda Fury Forums: banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Maybe it I just me being picky, but the rear axle sure jumps out at you in some of these pictures. It would sure look nicer if the end that shows was painted to match the frame or was chrome. Anyone doing anything or can anything even be done to this?

·
Premium Member
4,475 Posts
I am in the process of painting mine now. Red of course. I will have it done next week.
Haven't checked it out much because I thought by now there would be a aftermarket chrome cover availble for purchase but now that its mentioned what kind of work is involved to remove it for painting??

·
Registered
241 Posts
After removing the back wheel, you need to drain the oil from the Final Drive housing. Then remove the drive shaft rubber cover (2 bolts). Then the bolt at the torque arm connected to the final drive needs to come off. Take off the Final Drive and seperate it from the drive shaft. There is also the dust guard on the final drive. One bolt and rotate the cover to spin it off. Removal time if wheel is off is 10 minutes. Sand and paint.

·
Premium Member
4,475 Posts
After removing the back wheel, you need to drain the oil from the Final Drive housing. Then remove the drive shaft rubber cover (2 bolts). Then the bolt at the torque arm connected to the final drive needs to come off. Take off the Final Drive and seperate it from the drive shaft. There is also the dust guard on the final drive. One bolt and rotate the cover to spin it off. Removal time if wheel is off is 10 minutes. Sand and paint.
Hey thanks for the info. Sounds like it takes a little involvement that I will definitely and for surely screw up but it looks like its worth it and something I may have to considered shortly. I see a market for some time of after market chrome cover to dress up this area of the bike. Maybe even a decent looking two piece clam shell type cover to make the install easier.

·
Registered
500 Posts
what about the differential cover

Great axle-off summary kid, thx ... will help me in planning some work I'm gonna have done. What about painting the differential cover? Can it be painted without hours of labor charges for disassembling the whole thing? I need for my dealer to do the work, but have balked because a 3-5 hour labor charge, if that's what it'd take kinda kicks it outta the ballpark for now. Whaddya think?

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I was just referring to the axle.

:confused: Are you talking about the AXLE or the FINAL DRIVE ??

My final came already color matched :cool:

I did just add a new inspection cover in chrome (Honda P/N 90111-MCV-R30) stock from a VTX1800F3
Just the small screw in the rear. I have seen some pumpkins chromed and some painted but the axle seems to be missed by most so far that I have seen. I plan on chroming the rear pumpkin when I do my wheels but my dealer told me there was no point in painting the axle black to match the rest of the bike because it would just chip when they hammer it back in. Thoughts, or anyone actually successfully finished this yet?

·
Premium Member
2,567 Posts
Just the small screw in the rear. I have seen some pumpkins chromed and some painted but the axle seems to be missed by most so far that I have seen. I plan on chroming the rear pumpkin when I do my wheels but my dealer told me there was no point in painting the axle black to match the rest of the bike because it would just chip when they hammer it back in. Thoughts, or anyone actually successfully finished this yet?
Fury you have a PM

·
Registered
47 Posts
hey clueless, the chrome dust ring , did u buy that in chrome or had it chromed , im looking to totaly chrome my shaft an ring , thanks

·
Premium Member
2,567 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
That's it clueless :) I don't know where the shop ordered it from. There was a delay because the first sent was the actual VTX 1300 one and it did NOT match up so they fabricated the correct one. I was hoping to get back in town before they closed today to check on things but was 45 minutes too late.

·
Premium Member
2,567 Posts
That's it clueless :) I don't know where the shop ordered it from. There was a delay because the first sent was the actual VTX 1300 one and it did NOT match up so they fabricated the correct one. I was hoping to get back in town before they closed today to check on things but was 45 minutes too late.
The one I got was for a VTX and it went right on, was a little snug at the lugs but fit perfect.

·
Registered
201 Posts
The one I got was for a VTX and it went right on, was a little snug at the lugs but fit perfect.
Clueless,how much did the ring cost? I am chroming rims ,hub,calipers,kickstand next month and didnt think about the ring or even inquire if it would be considered part of the hub when I talked to the chromers when they were giving me a quote.Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,567 Posts
Clueless,how much did the ring cost? I am chroming rims ,hub,calipers,kickstand next month and didnt think about the ring or even inquire if it would be considered part of the hub when I talked to the chromers when they were giving me a quote.Thanks.
I paid $86 plus 15 shipping, the one before I won went for $81, and the one in the link ends this AM is at 41, he does have another w / BIN for 165

1 - 20 of 51 Posts