Honda Fury Forums: banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My rear brakes locked up tight yesterday. Started suddenly and they just kept getting tighter and tighter until they stopped the bike. I have Accutronix forward controls. The dealer is saying they forward controls are to blame. I am afraid they are going to say that since the forward controls are aftermarket, warranty will not cover the problem.

Anyone heard of or experienced anything like this from Accutronix controls?

·
Premium Member
6,195 Posts
My rear brakes locked up tight yesterday. Started suddenly and they just kept getting tighter and tighter until they stopped the bike. I have Accutronix forward controls. The dealer is saying they forward controls are to blame. I am afraid they are going to say that since the forward controls are aftermarket, warranty will not cover the problem.

Maybe you have air in the line. .. try bleeding it, next if that doest work.. examine that new rear break cylinder that comes with the toward controls and make sure it doesn't have a lot of crap in the push arm for some reason... and also what mental said too..

·
Premium Member
2,560 Posts
Honda warr won't cover that but Accutronix should, sounds as if the master is not releasing, did you contact Accutronix

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Air in the line is not your problem... Air is not compressable in a hydraulic system... you would have a soft pedal if there was air in there. On the other hand, RSS was right in checking your push arm... make sure it is not bound up and flowing smoothly... also could be in the master cylinder itself... Not allowing the pressure to release back into it once the lever is released. Also check you springs on the arm that returns it to normal position... If the spring is stretched or caught up, the master cylinder will not go back to normal operation and will keep the brake on. You may also want to flush the system... you may have particals in the fluid that is binding up the release side... just a few thoughts for you to check until you get ahold of Accutronix on monday.

Good luck and keep us informed... and also you are right, Honda will most likely not warranty the system since you have put on aftermarket parts.

·
Registered
3,409 Posts
Had mine installed by honda service department.They said if they did the work it is covered the same if it was the stock. Everything is warranted as if I changed nothing on the bike.

·
Premium Member
13,705 Posts
it sounds lile the master is locking up.some have an adjustable rod.some have a pedal adjustment.check to see if it is to tite to the cylinder.that would lock it up.good luck.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well the guys at Maxim Honda worked with Troy at Accutronix and they got it figured out. Turns out it was an arm adjustment that was a little off. They got it all fixed up and I have to give props to both Dane and Troy.

Thanks Guys!

·
Premium Member
6,195 Posts
Well the guys at Maxim Honda worked with Troy at Accutronix and they got it figured out. Turns out it was an arm adjustment that was a little off. They got it all fixed up and I have to give props to both Dane and Troy.

Thanks Guys!
Good to hear bro ! Make sure to ride safe as well!

·
Premium Member
6,731 Posts
Had mine installed by honda service department.They said if they did the work it is covered the same if it was the stock. Everything is warranted as if I changed nothing on the bike.
That is pretty cool. I would bet most dealers would not stand behind it.

·
Premium Member
13,705 Posts

Thanks Guys!
i had one here last week that was getting hot.had the same problem.come to find out his dad adjusted it without him knowing.but alls well that ends well.didnt charge him to fix it.

·
Registered
396 Posts

All brake systems, stock or aftermarket have to have free play to operate correctly. Otherwise, it’s like an old lady driving with her foot on the brake. The pads get hot; the fluid gets hot & expands & increases the brake pressure. Eventually completely locking the brake & the wheel.

I’m happy I could help & I think you have a great dealer.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Accutronix and back brake locking

I know this is an old posting, but hate to start a new one. I've recently had this happen twice. Had Accutronix controls put on about 3000 miles (6 months) ago by Honda. All was well and then about 200 miles ago the back brake started to lock up. By the time I stopped it was totally locked. Called a tow truck. By the time it came the breaks were fine. So rode it home and for another couple hundred miles. Then the same thing happened. I pulled off and hit the pedal a couple times with my hand. Everything worked fine again.

Should I take it to Honda for an adjustment or is it something easy that I can adjust? Hate to go to Honda because I'm sure they would want me to leave it and pick it up which means I need to find rides and lose the bike for a day or two.

Thanks if anyone is still reading this thread.

John

·
Registered
396 Posts
I think you should adjust your brake pedal free play.

I know this is an old posting, but hate to start a new one. I've recently had this happen twice. Had Accutronix controls put on about 3000 miles (6 months) ago by Honda. All was well and then about 200 miles ago the back brake started to lock up. By the time I stopped it was totally locked. Called a tow truck. By the time it came the breaks were fine. So rode it home and for another couple hundred miles. Then the same thing happened. I pulled off and hit the pedal a couple times with my hand. Everything worked fine again.

Should I take it to Honda for an adjustment or is it something easy that I can adjust? Hate to go to Honda because I'm sure they would want me to leave it and pick it up which means I need to find rides and lose the bike for a day or two.

Thanks if anyone is still reading this thread.

John

Your brake pedal free play needs to be adjusted correctly for your brakes to function correctly. If you have air in the system, the brake pedal will travel long way before the brake works, if it works at all. Therefore air in the system will not cause the brake to lock up unexpectedly. Too much free play can cause the brakes to not work at all. Too little free play can cause your brakes to drag. Dragging brakes creates heat and may expand the brake fluid causing even more dragging. This excessive dragging can discolor or even warp the brake rotor. This can cause the brake to lock until the fluid cools. This is true with ALL brake systems, not just Accutronix.

1) Pull the rubber accordion boot back so you can see the brake push rod, the brake piston, and the brake piston snap ring.
2) Push the pedal down while watching the push rod move the piston into the master cylinder and away from the snap ring.
3) Slowly lift the up the brake pedal and watch the brake piston seat against the brake piston snap ring.
4) After the brake piston is seated against the brake piston snap ring, keep lifting on the brake pedal. Watch the push rod separate away from the seated brake piston, this separation is the brake free play. Measure (by eye) the separation distance. If the brake push rod does not keep moving after the piston seats against the snap ring, you have NO free play.
5) The distance between the push rod & the seated piston should be 1/8” to ¼”. To increase the free play, loosen push rod lock nut with a ½” wrench. Then screw the push rod into the heim joint shortening the overall length & then tighten the lock nut.
6) Verify the correct free play measurement & correctly install the rubber accordion boot.

NOTE:
1) The brake fluid level should be 3/16” to ¼” from the top with the top of the master cylinder level. Use the brake fluid that your owner’s manual recommends for your bike. If your fluid is brown or cloudy, flush the system with fresh clean brake fluid.
2) There is a 0.040” vent hole in our master cylinder lid. This vent hole needs to be open in order for the vacuum diaphragm lid gasket to function properly.
3) If you are short & need to move the brake arm up to reach it more easily, the brake push rod length is NOT the correct method adjustment.

Hope this helps,
Troy

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
If you can get the locked brakes to work after working the pedal with your hand, i would say that you may need to bleed the brake. It sounds like you may have an air bubble in the line.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Thanks Troy!

From what Troy said, it looks like I had zero free play and it's probably been that way for 3000 miles since Honda installed it. Funny it took that long to cause a problem. See if the gas mileage changes.

I couldn't figure out how to screw the threads in so I just grabbed the shaft that the rubber covers and twisted. Hey, that sounds strange. It worked, but there must be a better way? It looks like I now have between 1/8 and 1/4" play best I can tell. From what I have read that should fix the situation. Let you know if it doesn't.

I have lots of brake dust all over the wheel. I'll have to figure out how to check for wear. This can't be good for the brake pads and rotor.

I've also read some postings that said it could be air in the brake fluid, and some that said that wouldn't cause the problem. The brakes are firm. Hope this fixes it.

Thanks again,

John

·
Registered
396 Posts
Thanks Troy!

From what Troy said, it looks like I had zero free play and it's probably been that way for 3000 miles since Honda installed it. Funny it took that long to cause a problem. See if the gas mileage changes.

I couldn't figure out how to screw the threads in so I just grabbed the shaft that the rubber covers and twisted. Hey, that sounds strange. It worked, but there must be a better way? It looks like I now have between 1/8 and 1/4" play best I can tell. From what I have read that should fix the situation. Let you know if it doesn't.

I have lots of brake dust all over the wheel. I'll have to figure out how to check for wear. This can't be good for the brake pads and rotor.

I've also read some postings that said it could be air in the brake fluid, and some that said that wouldn't cause the problem. The brakes are firm. Hope this fixes it.

Thanks again,

John
I edited my post, please read above.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts