Honda Fury Forums: banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
Rear shocks consist of two telescopic tubes which slide into each other, a spring of some type and an eye at either end through which the whole mechanism is affixed to the frame. A small bushing (a type of simple bearing) in each eye enables the shock to pivot smoothly when the suspension is active.
Lol, thanks Mr. Bot

OP, Honda doesn't publish spring rate or size. Your best bet is to call one of the aftermarket vendors who sell lowering springs. They take them on off and should know. Most of us round here who remove their rear shocks/springs either go with an air ride or cut the OEM spring so it won't do you any good

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's what I need to know how tall or long the fury spring is . The stock fury spring is still on my bike but I have a sabre spring that I'm going to cut to lower the fury but the sabre spring is longer then the fury spring. So may be if someone has a lowering spring they can message that would probably be better for me to c how I need to cut the sabre spring

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
That's what I need to know how tall or long the fury spring is . The stock fury spring is still on my bike but I have a sabre spring that I'm going to cut to lower the fury but the sabre spring is longer then the fury spring. So may be if someone has a lowering spring they can message that would probably be better for me to c how I need to cut the sabre spring
You want to verify the springs are the same on the fury vs the sabre, I don't think they are? Edit: you said the sabre spring is longer.

If one is longer than the other and you cut one to use it to lower based on the fury length, if the wire diameter and spring length are different you could drastically changing the ride characteristics since you are basically cutting off the dead coil and then some. Even more so with the sabre spring.

You are esentially increasing the spring rate by cutting the spring. Going to give you a stiffer ride.

My advice is to proceed with caution or just buy the correct lowering spring, or find a fury spring and cut it down.

·
Registered
2010 Sabre of Fury
727 Posts
I have a Fury spring not to mention other parts on my Sabre.
It sits really low, cool. Has about an 1" of travel. Ride is rough.
I can tolerate it because i've ridden hardtail bikes in the past.
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Fuel tank Water

·
Premium Member
688 Posts
I have cut 25/30 of these springs for members on this forum. I take off 1 1/4 coil with the same cut as the factory does. Never thought to measure it after cutting.
The pic that @4gdbyiron posted appears to show the spring is a progressive coil design. When you say you cut 1 1/4 coil off, are you cutting the coils that are further apart, or those that are closer?

I can imaging keeping the same cut as the factory (flat surface) isn't quick/easy. Do you chuck it up in a chop saw, or use some other method?

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
The best way to do it, is to clamp it down and use a cut off wheel. Do it next to a water hose or some way to keep it cool. Excessive heat will destroy the integrity of spring steel.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts