Honda Fury Forums: banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Does Don Guhl's reflash prevent the activation of the ECU's diagnostic mode?

The last time I started the engine it ran for approx. 1 minute and stopped. Unable to restart. Fuel pump does operate "normally" each time I turn the key to ON. I pulled a plug wire and I do have spark. I plugged in the Service Connector to activate the Diagnostics Mode and got no codes (blinking engine light). Further troubleshooting in accordance with the factory manual told me to replace the ECU. Instead of spending the big bucks for a new ECU, I sent mine back to Don Guhl. I spoke with him yesterday and he told me if I have spark, the ECU is NOT bad. He said to look at kickstand switch, tip-over switch, etc. for the source of the issue. Since I've noticed some intermittent "sketchy" turn signal switch contacts operation, I wouldn't be surprised to find and switch issue elsewhere.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, it doesn't prevent ECU diagnostics. The only thing he changes in the tune are the fuel maps, timing maps, temperature settings, and idle.

Sound advice from Don.
Thanks for the confirmation. When I get my ECU back from Don I'll continue the circuitry hunt and seek game.

·
Registered
180 Posts
When I get my ECU back from Don I'll continue the circuitry hunt and seek game.
Good luck. That is the worst game. I have a 1982 CM450 buried in the back of my garage because I lost a round of that game and gave up 😕

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Woohoo! I was finally able to solve the fuel delivery issue and got the engine running today. The damage the thief did to the neck/opening of gas tank caused the cap not seal completely and rain water got in the tank/pump canister/fuel lines/injectors. I removed the rear injector and aimed the fuel line into a glass bottle. Aaack! Milky white liquid in the first bottle! Continued adding clean fuel and pumping it out until I couldn't see any water separation in a bottle. Reconnected the fuel line/injector, turned the key, pushed the start button...and...Voila!
213184324_351204869711558_2758121525016500050_n.jpg
All went well until the bike had to go up a ramp to get into a storage container. It quit running and wouldn't restart. I'll be replacing the fuel pump, purging the hoses, and cleaning the injectors. At least I know where the issue lies. I'll also be ordering a brand new blue fuel tank and gas cap...he put quite a few dents, dings, and scratches on the tank...and I'm tired of looking down and always being reminded of the butthead stealing it. Today was the best day I've had in the past few months. What a relief! There is a light at the end of the tunnel, and it's within sight.

·
Registered
2010 Sabre of Fury
446 Posts
Good to hear, I was just thinking about you. Wondering if you got her running. I have an idea for the price of the tank if you buy new why don't you take her over to a custom shop. Get an estimate on what you might want. Stock or maybe a little more. Save the money and just take them the tank, fenders & side covers. Just a thought

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good to hear, I was just thinking about you. Wondering if you got her running. I have an idea for the price of the tank if you buy new why don't you take her over to a custom shop. Get an estimate on what you might want. Stock or maybe a little more. Save the money and just take them the tank, fenders & side covers. Just a thought
Well, I did consider that. The thing is I don't know exactly how much and in what way the opening and shape of the neck of the opening got out of whack. And, I doubt the OEM's tank's precise design/fabrication dimensions are available to the public to replicate. I could tell that he rolled under and expanded the catch lip that the locking "ears" use to compress the rubber gasket and hold the cap secure. I do know he beat the hell out of it, and pried/twisted the cap off with a pair of channel locks. He scratched and scored the surrounding area badly. When I initially placed the new cap and "locked" it in position, I could wiggle it around and it would pop off. Both locking ears were not catching the inner lip. So, I got a mini-channel lock/slip-joint plier and bent the corresponding areas in towards the center of the opening. That allowed it to work a bit better, but, apparently the cap's gasket still did not seal...and the lip got pushed down so much that the rain water would get into the tank instead of running down the "gutter" designed into the tanks surface. His accomplice is almost finished paying me her half of the $5000 damages I was awarded. I guess she doesn't want to go back to prison. I've used about $1500 of her monies for my pipes, reflash, K&N filter, risers, and turn signals...so, she's pretty much paying for the new OEM tank. He gets out of prison in Oct. and has 30 days to start his payments. The Dept. of Corrections keeps tabs on their payments.

·
Registered
2010 Sabre of Fury
446 Posts
Gotcha, used tank maybe seen a few no and then on ebay. In good shape too. But,hey she's yours and if things workout for you. Ya might have a little extra cash for something else. 👍

Reactions: Gizmo

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Gotcha, used tank maybe seen a few no and then on ebay. In good shape too. But,hey she's yours and if things workout for you. Ya might have a little extra cash for something else. 👍
I saw one w/a major dent for $650 ... there may come a day I decide to get my original tank enlarged to 5 gals., and I'll definitely consider that pop-up fill cap if I can find a satin black one. But, I've already waited long enough to get back to cruisin' around w/my oldest son. The replacement should show up in a few days. It will give me time to hunt around for a good welder/fabricator willing/able to keep the style and increase the range.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
After speaking with Sales Reps from Revzilla, Partzilla, and BikeBandits today, it looks like there aren't any Glint Wave Blue/Ultra Metallic Blue OEM tanks available in the USA. Lead time for manufacturing a new one from Honda Japan is about two (2) months plus shipping time. Will try a little more tweaking of the filler neck to get a better cap seal. I have a new fuel pump, and will clean out and probably replace the filter and seals of the old one to keep as an "On Hand" spare in case the mystery flakes show up. Should be back cruising around w/the kid next week...w/$1200 back in my bank account. I want/need my "motorcycle therapy" sessions. ✌ ☺ My son's going to check with members in his club, and I'll check with one of the salesmen at the local Harley dealership to find a reliable fabricator who can repair/enlarge/modify a used tank.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts