Honda Fury Forums: banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently installed my Cobra Speedster Swept pipes myself and decided to remove the baffles to see just how loud LOUD can be. :D

Anyway, I found removing the little bastards to be pretty difficult. So I thought I would share some tips on how I finally got them out.

#1 - Before you start, go to Lowe's or wherever and purchase the following items unless you have them at home already:

- 10 1/2" Nail Pry Bar. Don't fart around with a bent clothes hanger or anything like that. You'll thank yourself later: http://www.lowes.com/pd_99322-16878-NP1005_0_?zipCode=75070&firstReferURL=http://www.lowes.com/pd_99322-16878-NP1005_0_%3FproductId%3D1204857%26Ntt%3Dnail%2Bclaw%26Ntk%3Di_products_cascade%26pl%3D1%26currentURL%3D/pl__0__s%3FnewSearch%3Dtrue$Ntt%3Dnail%2520claw$y%3D0$x%3D0&catalogId=10051&catalogId=10051&productId=1204857&pl=1&findStoreErrorURL=StoreLocatorDisplayView&selectedLocalStoreBeanArray=[com.lowes.commerce.storelocator.beans.LocatorStoreBean%4023798ba,+com.lowes.commerce.storelocator.beans.LocatorStoreBean%407df58ba,+com.lowes.commerce.storelocator.beans.LocatorStoreBean%407fdd8ba,+com.lowes.commerce.storelocator.beans.LocatorStoreBean%40500618ba,+com.lowes.commerce.storelocator.beans.LocatorStoreBean%40502498ba]&currentURL=/pl__0__s%3FnewSearch%3Dtrue$Ntt%3Dnail+claw$y%3D0$x%3D0&Ntt=nail+claw&URL=TopCategoriesDisplayView&langId=-1&langId=-1&storeId=10151&storeId=10151&Ntk=i_products_cascade

- WD-40.

- Gorilla Glue. I pulled the rubber handle right off the nail claw on the first try. The GG worked great, you just have to let it set up for about an hour.

- Small phillips screw driver. You'll need this remove the two small screws that hold the baffles in the pipes.

#2 - Try the baffles removal with cool to cold pipes. I read a few things about doing this with warm pipes, and I tried this, but quickly remembered metal expands when heated. Your experience might differ, but when I attempted removal with warm pipes, all I got was alot of sweat and hot hands. If you think heating will help, its easier to heat your pipes than cool them, so try the cold removal first. I'm just sayin'...

#3 - Gorilla Glue the rubber grip of the nail claw on. Trust me.

#4 - Remove the single screw on back side of each pipe which attaches the each baffle to the inside of the pipe. I removed my screws prior to exhaust system install because I figured it would be easier to get to them then. I know, I know...

#5 - Shoot a good amount of WD-40 into your baffles. Don't over-do it, but get enough in there to do the job.

#6 - Grab your bad ass nail claw and lie down behind your bike (if you're a righty) on your right side, with your right knee on the back tire. I put my left foot on the wife's SUV running board next to me for some extra leverage.

#7 - Run your nail claw inside the pipe of choice at an angle so you can hook it behind the area where the screw you removed earlier would fit, on the inside, obviously. :cool:

#8 - Use some elbow grease, and start pulling. I found that some harder yanks in the direction the pipes curve downward got the baffle moving better than a sustained pull.

That's it. You should have Cobra 2 pipes sans baffles. Upon starting my bike, I realized my time and little money spent to get them out was WELL worth it. It's really the same tone and bark with baffles installed, only LOUDER! :D

I'm not saying this is the best way, or mechanics way, or anything else. This is just the method I used to finally get those little boogers out. Any criticism, compliments, or otherwise is always welcome.

For some of us, the only way to learn is to DO, and learn as you go. ;) Hope to see ya'll out on the road soon with some loud-ass pipes!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No criticism, but I will stay with the slide hammer and L hook. They are out, and that was the point.:)
Absolutely - good point - If you have something around the house that will get in there and grab them, use that instead and save your $9. All I had was clothes hangers, and that just wasn't stirring the kool-aid.

·
Premium Member
13,705 Posts
#1 what mental said.if i had to do all that i would get out the torch.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yea I think this can be more helpful for folks like me who don't have slide hammers and L hooks lying around the house. :)

·
Registered
3,409 Posts
Yea I think this can be more helpful for folks like me who don't have slide hammers and L hooks lying around the house. :)
Great description!:D Well done. It sounds like it was pretty simple?
So what about putting them back in? Do you think they would go easy? Just gotta line them up with the screw hole right? I am asking because I am going to cut mine and put them back in. No one really explains the reinstall part of it.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
So what about putting them back in? Do you think they would go easy? Just gotta line them up with the screw hole right? I am asking because I am going to cut mine and put them back in. No one really explains the reinstall part of it.
When I removed mine and cut them leaving 4" of baffle. I used a belt sander with I think 80 grit paper. I sanded down the first ring where I cut and kept dry fitting it. Once I got them to slide in easy I re-installed them. I think Dave had that in a write up on here. No if I was drastically loud I pull them off easy. Only Dave drilled and tapped a 3/8" hole in the center and used a threaded rod for re-installation. He is the one who gave me the idea. Kuddos to you Dave!

·
Registered
3,409 Posts
When I removed mine and cut them leaving 4" of baffle. I used a belt sander with I think 80 grit paper. I sanded down the first ring where I cut and kept dry fitting it. Once I got them to slide in easy I re-installed them. I think Dave had that in a write up on here. No if I was drastically loud I pull them off easy. Only Dave drilled and tapped a 3/8" hole in the center and used a threaded rod for re-installation. He is the one who gave me the idea. Kuddos to you Dave!
I remember seeing Daves write up.
I am gonna search for it.
Thanks.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Putting them back in is not hard at all. It does make it a lot easier if you sand or grind down the outside of the baffles and then just look in the exhaust and eyeball the alignment on the screw holes. Tap the baffle in with a short broom handle or such until you feel you are getting close. Now for the trick I figured out... Do you know that bent scew driver that comes in all the sets that you almost never use? Yes I mean this one

Insert one end in the hole in the pipe and tap the baffle in untill it goes into the screw hole in the baffle. The screwdrive is almost the perfect size to get it to line up exactly but you might have to play with it a little. A little WD40 on the baffle can make things easier too.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I haven't attempted putting them back in so I can't help you there yet... I might fool around with cutting them like the guys mentioned here. If I do that, I'll reply to this thread with more info on how it went.

·
Premium Member
3,454 Posts
I haven't attempted putting them back in so I can't help you there yet... I might fool around with cutting them like the guys mentioned here. If I do that, I'll reply to this thread with more info on how it went.
good job. glad to hear you did it w/o having to kill anyone. there have been some horrible experiences posted.

·
Premium Member
3,454 Posts
You're a brave man...pull the buggers out and leave 'em out. it's a chopper. then, when we can talk TDebeers into taking orders for those smokin hot pipes he built--we'll all be ridin hot.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I just pulled my baffles out today. What a pain in the butt. One thing to note, when you look in and see the first ring, that piece is part of the pipe. I used an angled phillips screwdriver bit and held with large vise grips and a hard rubber mallet to hit the vise grips. I inserted the phillips end into the screw hole on the baffle itself. I also used a bunch of WD-40 which helped a lot. Took about an hour, trying to find the right tool was a pain.

I did find it was a little too loud and I love loud pipes (that's why I pulled them). I was shocked. I may cut them in half and drill a 1/2 inch hole to start and then test.

Thanks for all the information on the previous posts.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
I pulled mine out and I think they sound much better without the little bit of baffle I had. Im keeping them on the side in case I have problems down the road.
Congrats on the new sound!

·
Premium Member
5,764 Posts
Thanks, TheBigTwoSix, for an easy to follow tutorial. Completed in 15 minutes.

Couple of notes:
  • I got the 15" claw with the chisel on the other end, rather than the short one you recommend with the rubber handle
  • Got the claw into both baffles by getting the claw tips in to the right of the bolt plate and then turning the claw clockwise to get it behind that bolt plate
  • Attached a set of Vice Grips to the far end of the bar just before the flaring of the chisel end
  • Used a large rubber mallet to get the bottom baffle started and to get the top one past a sticking point mid-way
It's 9pm here now ... I'll wait 'til morning (10am-ish) to crank up the Fury-ous beast to hear her new notes.

UPDATE: Friday morning, just fired up the Fury and HOLY SH!T that's loud. What? Huh?

Thanks again! :cool:

BTW, these are the approximately 12" long "tonsils" you're pulling out of the Cobra Swepts:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,584 Posts
Just wanted to say I used this thread's suggestion to use the nail pry bar to pull my baffle. I say baffle because one came out easily and the second was stubborn. Ok, so I used the pry bar. It's a great fit. It wedges it and gets a nice bite, but I couldn't pull it out. I improvised by locking my Vice Grips onto the handle and tapping the pliers while mantaining the pry bar on snug. It slipped right out! Thanks!

·
Registered
608 Posts
I also used the vise grips to get mine out. I wouldn't of even tried it and so many other things if it wasn't for this forum.

Sent from my Droid Razr Maxx.

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
Removing the baffles was the easiest thing ever for me,I took the end of a wooden hammer put a screw in it ,stuck in there and hook a hole and cracked the head with another hammer and they were laying on the floor....done

1 - 20 of 24 Posts