Honda Fury Forums: banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering what you all thought of plugging a motorcycle tire?

Just got my bike a month ago and my brand new tire had somehow gotten a sharp piece of bluestone right through it. Originally I thought it was just caught in the groove, but sure enough, I pulled it out and hisssssss...

I plugged it, filled it up, and drove it to a couple local shops. The best deal I found on a replacement was $220, which will put a halt to a couple of mods I had planned.

What's the census on riding with a plugged tire?

What's the going cost for a quality replacement?

All feedback is appreciated!
Stay Focused

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
Front never, Rear depends on puncture size and location, type of plug (They make a plug that pulls from inside out with a integral patch on the inside)
tech uni-seal repair kit

·
Registered
390 Posts
It seems new tires are magnets for screws and other road hazards. I had my first flat with less than 2000 miles.

Plug & Patch (from the inside of the tire) is safe, if done properly. I had mine done at the Honda dealer and it was a bit costly (89 total, including taxes). For a few dollars more, you can buy a new tire (original equipment tire on VMAX motorcycles) from Cycle Gear for 156.99 Plus tax and free shipment.

Cycle Gear - BRIDGESTONE: Battlax BT028 Street Motorcycle Tires, FRONT

Mounting & balancing the tire on your wheel is a different story. The dealer will charge around $60. If you can remove the wheel yourself, perhaps you can get it done elsewhere for half the price.

Hope this helps. Good luck. Whatever you do, please do not ride too long on that plug you installed. Plugs are not safe. They are only good to get you back to the shop where you can (and should) repair properly.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Assuming we're talking about plugging near the center of the tire on thick rubber ...

For those advising against plugging, do you have some experiences to share? I have a buddy that plugged a rear tire on a VTX1800 without blinking an eye and I've ridden a couple thousand miles with him since. Are we talking about 'theoretical' bad things that can happen or real experience?

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
If it's a puncture, no sweat, plug it. If it's a cut, without hesitation replace it. Refer to Sea Dawg, above, for plug type.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
2,560 Posts
This is what Dunlop says

Tire repair

Any puncture or injury to a tire's tread area obviously affects performance and safety. Proper repair is critical. The puncture must be repaired on both the inside and the outside of the tire. Because all parts of a tire are engineered to function as a single unit, any repair must take that into consideration. Only small, straight-through 3/16" diameter or less punctures in the tread area may be repairable, if no secondary damage has occurred.

NOTE: A tire repair can be properly made only if the tire is removed from the rim; a thorough internal inspection is carried out; and the repair is made from the inside out. A repair must fill and seal the injury, i.e. vulcanized plug and patch. Only specially trained Technicians are qualified to repair a tire. Do not attempt to repair it yourself.

Dunlop Safety Advisory, Speed Rated Tires: Repaired tires must not be used in excess of posted speed limits, in race or other competition. Speed Ratings are not valid for repaired, re-treaded, under-inflated or overloaded, excessively worn, damaged or altered tires.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the feed back guys!

For what it's worth, it is a clean puncture in the center of the rear tire and the plug I put in it took real well and has held reccommended tire pressure all day.

I'll keep it local until I can get to the shop to get a new tire.

Cheers,
Stay Focused

·
Premium Member
1,636 Posts
I had this type issue 7 months ago and just bought a new tire despite the screw going in a brand new rear tire. It's just safer.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Thanks for all the feed back guys!

For what it's worth, it is a clean puncture in the center of the rear tire and the plug I put in it took real well and has held reccommended tire pressure all day.

I'll keep it local until I can get to the shop to get a new tire.

Cheers,
Stay Focused
I would probably do the same. I carry a plug kit and C02 inflator with me for emergencies but personally, I don't think I'd be comfortable at high speeds on a plugged tire.

·
Premium Member
13,706 Posts
i have a tire with less than 800 miles on it here in farmville va.100.00 you pick up,or pay ship.

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
I look at it this way. In a car, sure, you have 3 more tires that can help you out should you have troubles while driving should the repaired tire shit the bed. On a bike, you have 2. Unless your good at riding a unicycle, you have all the potential in the world to be F'd 5 ways to Sunday.

On the subject of plugging. Plugs ( i thought ) were not used for the longest time. Plugs can cause belt shifts. Any tire repair here in the North East is done by patching from the inside. I know back in highschool while selling tires my shop we were patching just for that reason. And that was yearsssss ago.

·
Premium Member
6,731 Posts
If money is not the issue, just get a new tire for the safety and peace of mind. If money is the issue, have the repair done by a reputable shop that will give you an honest opinion on how well it will hold up.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If money is not the issue, just get a new tire for the safety and peace of mind. If money is the issue, have the repair done by a reputable shop that will give you an honest opinion on how well it will hold up.
--------------------------

Unfortunately, money is always in play, but I stopped by my shop today and they agreed to knock some bucks off and swap it out for $15 if I do the grunt work and bring the wheel in. (the least they could do for someone who bought TWO bikes from them last month!)

With that, and all of your input...I'm convinced. I'll keep it local and at low speeds until next paycheck then pull the wheel off and get the tire replaced and balanced.

Thanks for all the feed back!
Stay Focused

·
Premium Member
13,706 Posts
--------------------------

Unfortunately, money is always in play, but I stopped by my shop today and they agreed to knock some bucks off and swap it out for $15 if I do the grunt work and bring the wheel in. (the least they could do for someone who bought TWO bikes from them last month!)

With that, and all of your input...I'm convinced. I'll keep it local and at low speeds until next paycheck then pull the wheel off and get the tire replaced and balanced.

Thanks for all the feed back!
Stay Focused
if you are close enough i can mount and balance for free.

·
Registered
168 Posts
last time i checked...Most motorcycles had two wheels, not four. So i think you should ask yourself that question. Thats like asking asking if you can catch aids without a condom or can your motorcycle run with one wheel and tire while the other is flat. Come on! Its not a good idea, uless your riding with a pair of rollerblades on your feet at the same time lol.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts