Honda Fury Forums: banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll start by saying that I'm very happy with this unit.

After installing my new MFR pipes and Cobra ProFC and testing the performance of the bike on different situation ( shifting, acceleration and down shift and deceleration) the bike perform very well, now on high speed 70+ the bike sputter a little bit and some black smoke came out.
I call Cobra tech support and they say to give it a rest and try it again so next day I did the same thing to the bike and up to now it's performing excellent no pops or sputtering.

As a Guinea pig but a responsible member of this forum I will continue commenting positive or negative issues with this unit.

Pablo (QbanFury)

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
Ok...

Ok, so I take it you haven't had any additional issues?

What year is your bike Pablo?
(Sorry I'm not up to snuff with your stuff, Qban)

One more question, the "exact" unit# of the your Fi2000 POWRPRO; is it 92-1633AT?

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, so I take it you haven't had any additional issues?

What year is your bike Pablo?
(Sorry I'm not up to snuff with your stuff, Qban)

One more question, the "exact" unit# of the your Fi2000 POWRPRO; is it 92-1633AT?
I have the Matte Silver SE 2010.
MFR custom pipes, Spike intake and block off pair valves.
Yes, the same unit.
The issue was that when Cobra started working on this units in 09, Honda had a different chip on the fury (maybe thats the problem that some people are having on the newer models) so (Honda) change the chip on the bikes in the middle of the game and affected the early controller that Cobra came out with but they where out in the market by the time they notice the glitch so Cobra is fixing the problem as the units come into market.
They had not recall all unit because they also work with the other VTX models that has no issue with their chip. Unfortunately only the Fury was affected.

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
QbanFury said:
The issue was that when Cobra started working on this units in 09, Honda had a different chip on the fury (maybe thats the problem that some people are having on the newer models) so (Honda) change the chip on the bikes in the middle of the game and affected the early controller that Cobra came out with but they where out in the market by the time they notice the glitch so Cobra is fixing the problem as the units come into market.
They had not recall all unit because they also work with the other VTX models that has no issue with their chip. Unfortunately only the Fury was affected.
It would appear that is "exactly" the case... well put Qban.

It also appears that the only Fury that has been "affected" is the 2011 model.

Cobra has, in my case corrected the problem. Their service Dept. very, very cooperative and prompt in correcting my POWRPRO.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It would appear that is "exactly" the case... well put Qban.

It also appears that the only Fury that has been "affected" is the 2011 model.

Cobra has, in my case corrected the problem. Their service Dept. very, very cooperative and prompt in correcting my POWRPRO.
Cobra respond was incredible, fast and to the point (no excuses) and after the fix the performance of the bike is tremendous.
repeating my self...expensive but worth every penny.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Will See

Well, will see what happens after i test ride this Procedure the cobra techs told me to try first.

i am suppossed to ride it through all the gears to redline and back down 2-3 times to learn quicker, the tech says.

As soon as it stops Raining I'll post the outcome.

·
Premium Member
2,174 Posts
Once I got the bugs worked out of mine I love it. Don't even think about it. It does its job. Idles smooth and has a snappy response when I roll on the throttle.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Good to here that Jag.

Also I would like everyone with this unit to report the MPG you're getting on your bike and the average condition you normally ride (City, Hwy, fast, slow, solo, 2 up... etc)

thanks.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
How does this unit differ from the Fi2000 model? Do you not manually adjust the pot settings? If not how does it know what parameters to adjust?

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
How does this unit differ from the Fi2000 model? Do you not manually adjust the pot settings? If not how does it know what parameters to adjust?
This is all new revolutionary technology by Cobra.
After reading constantly about problems or people not totally really happy the way the other FC work and different setting and maps and dyno etc, just happen that Cobra came out with this unit, honestly I don't care how it works as long it does the way Cobra claims. you install it and no setting or ever touch it again.

Fi2000 PowrPro Tuner
The Fi2000 PowrPro fuel-injection tuner uses the latest smart chip technology to continuously read the bike's EFI delivery at up to 80 times per second every time the throttle is opened to optimize the air/fuel mixture at all throttle settings. With its Continuously Variable Tuning (CVT) (patent pending) technology, the PowrPro will revolutionize motorcycle fuel-injection tuning.
With PowrPro you can say good-bye to old-school EFI "mapping mania" and O2 sensor hassles forever. When your bike accelerates, PowrPro reads the engine's performance up to 80 times per second to optimize fuel delivery at all throttle openings under acceleration, under every kind of load and under all existing environmental conditions to deliver maximum acceleration.

And no matter which components you change in the future, whether it's a new exhaust system, a freer-flowing air filter setup or even a big-bore hop-up kit with new camshafts, PowrPro continues to analyze and tune your engine for peak performance.

More info.

JFGI

"It autotunes using the crank sensor. It reads the crank acceleration 30-40 times a second and adjusts the pulse width to the injector constantly (each and every pulse). It continues to add fuel until it sees no improvement in crank acceleration. It never stops updating and adjusting the injector pulse width."

"They felt it was the better way to go than wide-band O2. They seemed to be quite impressed with it and believe that it's the best possible way to control the fuel."

“We weren’t real crazy about what everybody else had done, which was use a wide-band oxygen sensor to collect data so that they could tune,” Botting said. “In most cases, that requires drilling, grinding, modifying the exhaust systems that are on the bikes so that they can accept this wide-band oxygen sensor.”

Cobra spent 18 months developing a patented process requiring no external sensors. The PowrPro Tuner, Botting explained, can measure the rate of acceleration off the crankshaft and produce the same data as a dyno. “We took that data and married it to high-speed interactive fuel adjustment,” he said. “We create a virtual dyno graph in our software. At every squirt of the injector, we add fuel or subtract fuel and watch for an improvement in that graph. When we see an improvement, we keep it. We just keep going until we don’t see any improvement on the graph.

“So basically,” he continued, “We do the same thing electronically that you have with an experienced dyno operator. We just happen to be able to do it 60 or 80 times a second instead of maybe once every 15 minutes.”

The Fi2000R PowrPro Tuner can adjust the fuel injection system to any bike modification, Botting said.

Another way the device will benefit riders, Bussard explained, is by constantly adjusting to riding conditions. “If you’re riding uphill with a passenger on the back and just a headwind, it’s going to take that into account and give you the perfect horsepower for that,” he said. “If you’re going downhill with a tailwind, it’ll set so that you’re getting the most horsepower for those conditions.”

For track riders, the device will adjust the fuel injection to take into account contrasting winds on the straights.

“Every time the end user rolls on that throttle, it’s hunting and verifying that that bike is making the absolute maximum horsepower that it could achieve through air/fuel tuning,” Botting said.

The new Fi2000R will come with the same two year-warranty as the standard model. Retail pricing will be in the $500-to-$600 range, which Botting claimed is about $300 less than other auto-tune systems.

The easy installation will also lower the overall cost. Botting pointed out that all the late-model sportbikes have titanium head pipes onto which it’s difficult to weld a bung for a wide-band oxygen sensor. If the bike comes with oxygen sensors, he claimed, it nearly always has tiny 10 mm sensors, whereas the wide-band sensors are 18 mm. “So you’ve got some real installation issues with other auto-tune systems,” he said. “They create a real uphill battle when it comes to making the sale. This product doesn’t have any of those shortcomings.”

·
Registered
22 Posts
I installed a PowrPro module today. I bought it as a package with some chrome Cobra Swept pipes but I only had time to put the fuel controller on today.

Afterwards, I rode the bike (2011, white, AKA the fast color) for about 70 miles because I had a few errands to run, and the shortest line between two points is boring, if you know what I mean.

• Highways, 55-65MPH, many full throttle dumps to test responsiveness, no wheelies - LOL
  • Very very twisty roads, lots of full on-off throttle transitions and peg dragging (not a friendly environment for shaft drive, but one that I ride a lot)
  • One dirt road that could double for a motocross track, map didn't say it was dirt, oh well
  • Blistering hot stop-and-go, got caught in a school open house traffic jam, lots of angry caged sheeple
  • Faster-than-I-should, 95mph, location classified, unable to get it to 100 for some reason, tried 4th and 5th gears
  • A few 0-60/70MPH runs, no clutch upshifts, from a 1-2MPH (?) rolling start.
The difference from stock initially was not apparent but now it is somewhat noticeable. I do not feel any more power or snap but everywhere in the RPM range things feel smoother and more "friendly". Most noticeable, to me, is off throttle transitions are much smoother and it feels like the throttle has more "input" positions, or that it is more sensitive without being more sensitive (Does that make sense?) The engine seems to run a bit cooler too, but I do not have a gauge to test that.

I would prefer to have the ability to see and/or download data from the mystery box to see how it is modifying the fuel ratio, like a data logger. My remote control car can do that. (Seriously!) I also wish the fuel controller was flashable to newer versions, but I understand that opens up a whole new spectrum of service issues from bricked controllers. But then again, my remote control car can do that. (Seriously!)

To the best of my knowledge, modifying the fuel pulse duration is all the box can do. I do not think it can alter injector firing timing. I doubt it can lean the mixture, it just works as an additive to the existing ratio. The 80 times a second thing, I think, means it can recompute whatever it computes once a revolution. 80 times a second is 4800RPM.

Hopefully when I chuck the pipes on tomorrow it will work even better. I am not looking for more power, just better tone, crisper and predictable throttle response and a smarter fuel management strategy for long term durability. IE: Not run it EPA-lean all of the time.

The packaging is very nice although it could be a lot smaller, to minimize wasted resources.

The price is okay. I'll be able to comment better on this part after the pipes and maybe an intake.

If I can install it anyone can.

The module location behind the left hand side box is a bit of an afterthought. It feels like they chucked it in there because they ran out of time. That said, real estate on the bike is tight.

I am new to motorcycles but not new to engines. I do not have a problem paying a few bucks for a device that corrects a (probably) terminally lean condition that is only there to satisfy an EPA edict. My motorcycle gets a lot better mileage than my F-250 so I do not feel any guilt over a few (potentially) lost MPG.

I keep a graph of my mileage. I have attached today's below. I will keep you all updated.

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
It took all morning to put the pipes on. Everything runs fine so far. Click the thumbnail for a bigger picture.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It took all morning to put the pipes on. Everything runs fine so far. Click the thumbnail for a bigger picture.

Good to hear that you been experiencing nothing but good performance and excellent fuel consumption, bike looks great...I also like that truck!!!
ride hard and safe:cool:

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have it on my 2010 Stateline, it seems to have better cold starting than my Fury which has the Power Commander
Good to know that also...feel free to comment your experience with this unit, hopefully the price will go down enough to make it more affordable to more forum members and easy out the concern about what is the best setting or map to run the FC.
Simple...Install it and forget it.:D

Thanks.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts