Honda Fury Forums: banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to see if I could get any available info from you guys on any issues you have had on longer trips with the Fury? Mainly like any common issues with certain things failing or causing issues during your trips? Fixing to head over thru TX in couple weeks, and since cargo space is already limited would see what general answers average out into something to get ordered in or plan on taking to save as many side of the road issues as I can. Thanks again for all your replies and input.

·
Premium Member
6,195 Posts
Make sure that your side view mirrors are on tight... Common stuff, make sure you do an oil change, your spark plugs are good and your radiator fluid is full and still the proper color. If you've ever disconnected your battery make sure that it is hooked up correctly.

As far as the luggage issue, get some throw-over bags... Just purchased a set of Cortech throw-over bags and they work great, they have a handle, so you can take them right off of your bike when you pull up to a stop or your rest stop for the night... you can purchase a sister bag that goes over the passenger seat as well, and you'll have a slight back rest along the way... but a traveler's buddy bag would be best for that. Anyways, other options for luggage space, the side mounted chopper bag and the one that goes over the headlight as well.

Bring water along with you, obvious choice... I almost got lost on a desert road one time and was kicking myself for not having any water for myself, luckily found a gas station and loaded up on water there. Definitely plan ahead your gas stops... you're light coming on around 100-115 miles, plan the stations around that and don't push it paste 130 miles if you can.

One more, bring an extra headlight bulb, my headlight burned out on me on a trip up to LA, think it was because it got too hot because of the type of bulbs they were. Luckily it was only the high beam that burned out and I was able to switch to lows, but the trip home that night would have been better with some high beams.

Check your air pressure in your tires, maybe a good 42, 42 mix would be best for those long roads vs the curvy roads combo that you may encounter.

Bring extra glasses and gloves for at least 2 occasions hot and cold, night and day driving.

That's it... The others will probably come up with some better idea's. Have fun on your trip!

Bags:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...pf_rd_t=3201&pf_rd_p=1263271402&pf_rd_i=typ01

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...pf_rd_t=3201&pf_rd_p=1263271402&pf_rd_i=typ01

·
Registered
163 Posts
You might want to get a jel pad if your tribal seat is the Honda seat. You might also take a few overnight trips to get accustomed to being in the saddle for that lignth of time
I am planning on a trip from Bakersfield, CA to the southern section of WV. I am leaving the 2nd week in Aug. On the way back I plan on stopping in New Orleans and then on back here. That's about 6000 miles. No worries about the bike thou, it's a Honda.

·
Premium Member
3,454 Posts
1. Plan on getting the bike serviced in Tx prior to the return trip.(oil, plugs. air filter). You're going through some mighty dusty territory, podner.
2. I use a Tourmaster sissybar bag (aka sister bar :) ). *bungee your bags, just in case.
3. H20, of course.

*a buddy of mine has a really nice bike luggage set that he bungees like crazy on his semi-annual trek from Tx to Fla.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
RSS you have a picture with that single bag on your bike? I kinda like that but would want to see it on the bike first. How is that mounted anyway?

·
Registered
81 Posts
I got me one of the nelson rigg bags. Worked real well on a short road trip. If you are like me and don't take a lot it has plenty of room:D. If you stuff the middle expandable pocket with a towel makes one hell of a back rest. The only thing i have not found is a tank bag that i feel comfortable leavin on it for a long while. Last one i tried kept trying to fly off.

CL-800 REAR TOTE/TAIL PACK

·
Premium Member
6,195 Posts
RSS you have a picture with that single bag on your bike? I kinda like that but would want to see it on the bike first. How is that mounted anyway?
No, only have the double for right now as I figured the lady would like the King and Queen seat.. lol... :( Check my King and Queen post for pics and don't forget I almost put Queen and King... ugggg.. ..... ..... :(

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Hmm, lets see. Sunscreen, chapstick, plenty of water, tylenol, zip ties, air pressure gauge. Call your insurance company and make sure you have towing. Planning to go through West Texas? Better be sure of where all the gas stations are. It is pretty desolate out there. Be sure to have all your important phone numbers with you. Don't want to freak out if you lose a wallet or credit card. Be sure to have some cash on you also, alot of gas stations give discounts for cash fuel purchases. If you have a portable gps unit, bring that along too. Dont forget your cell phone charger.

I think just staying hydrated for me would be a priority.

·
Premium Member
13,702 Posts
they have covered most everything but it helps to strap a bag on the back that you can lean against.it will save your back.i did 1650 miles in on trip and i was glad to have that bag.good luck. i would also carry a tire plug kit and a pump.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Take three days supply of clothes and find a washing machine. I over packed and had to mail some back home :)

Here's a journal of my trip so far....

2010 Cross Country Road Trip

1 - 14 of 14 Posts