Honda Fury Forums: banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the dealer just called, they had my bike since Monday. They did a compression test and says it looks like there is some damage. They want to do a tear down to find out exactly what. I asked if this will be covered under waranty, he didn't say no but it didn't sound hopeful. He says the first thing Honda will do is look for overheating issues and check the radiator. Since I just patched a hole in my rad - well. So I'm pissed, the bike is 2 months old and less than 1000 miles. So, I will say it is possiable that the hole caused it to over heat but.........why didn't the f#*&ing overheat light ever come on. And explain to me how the front head can overheat before the back head. I hope this is covered or I may have to give honda an ultimatum I won't win. Fix it or I can stop making my payments. Come get it and I'll get a Harley. Atleast then I know what I'm buying.

·
Premium Member
5,715 Posts
Does Irate warranty the radiator with their cover on it? Doubtful, but thought I'd ask. I'm still not convinced to change because of the wider gaps in the covers.

You know Honda will blame the hole and say it isn't warranteed.....how is it running like crap? Did they show you the compression check vs. other compression checks on some fury's they have in stock?

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Does Irate warranty the radiator with their cover on it? Doubtful, but thought I'd ask. I'm still not convinced to change because of the wider gaps in the covers.

You know Honda will blame the hole and say it isn't warranteed.....how is it running like crap? Did they show you the compression check vs. other compression checks on some fury's they have in stock?
As far as running like crap, I got smoke coming from the exhaust.

Irate I doubt. I've since added a "cage" behind so nothing is getting through there. I will say that I did a comparison check and looks like the rock would have made it through with the stock cover on.

And Honda, well yeah, we all know where this is going. In which case I'm going to lose it. Just for the sake of conversation I'll say fine, the hole caused the issue. So why has the overheat light not come on? Its there for this such a thing no?

·
Premium Member
5,715 Posts
Rock could have been bigger than you think.....with just an edge jabbing....but glad you put another screen on as well.....

Can't remember who posted what, but was it you who pressure washed the engine? Water could have gotten in the air intake and worked it's way into the engine.....you run any injector cleaner, like Lucas through it? Good stuff, imo.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Rock could have been bigger than you think.....with just an edge jabbing....but glad you put another screen on as well.....

Can't remember who posted what, but was it you who pressure washed the engine? Water could have gotten in the air intake and worked it's way into the engine.....you run any injector cleaner, like Lucas through it? Good stuff, imo.
Well I wouldn't say I pressure washed the engine but yeah, I washed it. I've ran cleaner and a tank of gas through it. Its definatly engine damage, its my luck. It has to be. I just hope Honda comes through for me. I find it very hard to beleive that a driving 20 miles on a pin hole leak could do this. Especially since its the front head and (yes I'm going back to this) the overheat light never came on.

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts
Not a bad idea but its already at the dealer. Also a rad is like $500, where would I get one. Can I borrow yours:rolleyes:
That repair would nt have caused a major overheat issue IMO! Low coolant and other issues you dont have to replace a radiator UNLESS Honda said that your warranty would be voided with a repair???

Call the Honda REP if this is still a issue

Are the rings fried up or the cylinder/ walls scratched??

Seems like BS but what do I know

Front head does get hot first I have noticed so it may be second on cooling

·
Premium Member
5,715 Posts
That repair would nt have caused a major overheat issue IMO! Low coolant and other issues you dont have to replace a radiator UNLESS Honda said that your warranty would be voided with a repair???

Call the Honda REP if this is still a issue

Are the rings fried up or the cylinder/ walls scratched??

Seems like BS but what do I know

Front head does get hot first I have noticed so it may be second on cooling
I agree, that's why I asked if he got to see a comparative pressure check.....times are tough, one way to boost company income is to shaft people on service repairs....

·
Premium Member
2,482 Posts
So the hole in the radiator let the coolant leak out, causing overheat condition (but not lighting the idiot light), and then heat caused a head gasket leak?
My guess is the damage was done before the radiator repair even happened.

A compression test won't be compared to other Furys, but simply between the 2 cylinders tested separately. If they're off by more than say 10%, you definitely have a problem on the lower compression cylinder.

What are the symptoms of coolant in the cylinders? White smoke, rough running. Why only one cylinder? It'll only happen on the cylinder where the gasket leak is.

On a car it's tougher to diagnose from exhaust because all 4, 6, or 8 ports all dump into 1 or 2 pipes. On a bike with a true dual exhaust you can trace the smoke to the questionable cylinder.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Can we get a quick rundown on the events?

There was a hole in your radiator and also you had smoke coming from the exhaust?
OK I'll try and keep it short and simple:

From day one front head seemed to be running rich as there was a black resudue on the inside of the pipe. (only noticed smoke when shifting from 1st to 2nd)

Rock (assuming) hit rad and had a pin hole leak. Drove 20 miles home, was cold as hell that night. Also plenty of coolant same out when I dissasembled it so it was far from empty. Overheat light never came on.

Had hole fixed and filled with coolant and cycle through system.

Got gas and washed antifreeze off bike.

Bike didn't want to run, idled funny, and white smoke (not a ton) from front head pipe.

Lasted only a day or two and white smoke got better but was still there.

Now it all is fine except there is still a bit of smoke. Really only noticable when reving and let off. It isn't horriable and almost not noticable but it is there.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
BTW I'm leaving for the weekend so I'll be a few day before I'm back on this thread. I'll read from my phone but typing will take an eturnity. I'm very interested in what you all have to say. The more educated I am the better I can argue with Honda.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
One last thing..........

I realize something was going on from day one but it wasn't alot. Bike didn't run funny or have any other problems so I didn't really see a need to be concerned. I figured it'd be something to bring up durning the first service (which the dealer is doing while its there).

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
2 months old. Really can't see Honda saying no to the warranty based on what's been said.

·
Premium Member
6,731 Posts
I’m no mechanic, but this doesn’t sound like anything you did. Hopefully Clueless will check in, but with so many variables, it’s hard to say.

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
Lets air on the side of caution and say that Honda will do the right thing. 2 months and 1K miles .. i would think so.

When you say pin hole .. how much coolant was sitting on the pavement when you noticed it had a leak? I would think that if you were low you would have to be damn near out of coolant in order to start warping gaskets in the heads. And you said it was cold out .. which only helps keep the engine cool with out the coolant.

Now, you didnt add anything to the bike, so i dont see that being an issue with the warrenty. IF it does, there are other avenues you can take. You can try talking with the regional rep and then the district rep .. and so on and so on. Who ever you talk to .. keep you cook and be polite. While keeping your cool ( no pun intended ) you will also want to mention that you may look into getting a lawyer involved ... contacting your local news .. or possibly the Better Busines Bureau. But again, be forceful but polite. You go in guns blazing and cussin like a sailor then they wont want to work with you.

Good Luck, and a speedy recovery for your bike.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Lets air on the side of caution and say that Honda will do the right thing. 2 months and 1K miles .. i would think so.

When you say pin hole .. how much coolant was sitting on the pavement when you noticed it had a leak? I would think that if you were low you would have to be damn near out of coolant in order to start warping gaskets in the heads. And you said it was cold out .. which only helps keep the engine cool with out the coolant.

Now, you didnt add anything to the bike, so i dont see that being an issue with the warrenty. IF it does, there are other avenues you can take. You can try talking with the regional rep and then the district rep .. and so on and so on. Who ever you talk to .. keep you cook and be polite. While keeping your cool ( no pun intended ) you will also want to mention that you may look into getting a lawyer involved ... contacting your local news .. or possibly the Better Busines Bureau. But again, be forceful but polite. You go in guns blazing and cussin like a sailor then they wont want to work with you.

Good Luck, and a speedy recovery for your bike.
I'm back, still no word from the dealer. Will call tomorrow.

Anyway, it didn't leak much. When I emptied the rad to remove it it'd say probably 1/2 gallon (maybe a little more) was in the rad. The resovior was still full.

Add anything to my bike? You mean anything mechanical? No, only fuel controler and new pipes that were done at the dealer.

And yes, I know to keep my cool. Thats the only way I'll be what I want. Being an ass will get me no where.

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
I'm back, still no word from the dealer. Will call tomorrow.

Anyway, it didn't leak much. When I emptied the rad to remove it it'd say probably 1/2 gallon (maybe a little more) was in the rad. The resovior was still full.

Add anything to my bike? You mean anything mechanical? No, only fuel controler and new pipes that were done at the dealer.

And yes, I know to keep my cool. Thats the only way I'll be what I want. Being an ass will get me no where.
There was a law enacted back in the 70s i believe ... named after the person who started the law suit. If i remember the law starts with the letter M ... and it basically states that no manufacturer can cancel your warrenty with the addition of any aftermarket parts unless the maker can specifically show that your add on part caused the problem.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts