Honda Fury Forums: banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, I'm not new to riding, been riding cruisers somewhat consistently for about 13 years. I am however new to the Fury (and am already in love.) I've seen mention on the forums of people scraping pegs sometimes but I'm scraping like crazy, at least 2-4 times every half hour or so that I'm riding around town. Through round-abouts or pulling into or out of parking lots. I do have the feelers on the bottom of the stock pegs and I am a big guy, 6'3' 270lbs. so no doubt I'm compressing that rear spring. Am I just pushing this thing too hard? I know I have a tendency to want to whip it around. Or should I just take the feelers off. Do they serve any real benefit?

·
Registered
17 Posts
i have the same problem... 5'9' 200# but my pegs are worn hard the feelers are gone and half the left peg im just going to replace them with a different style peg and probably scrap those as well.

·
Premium Member
13,702 Posts
i have the same problem... 5'9' 200# but my pegs are worn hard the feelers are gone and half the left peg im just going to replace them with a different style peg and probably scrap those as well.
Put some 3 inch fork extenders on the front forks. That will take care of most of the scraping unless you really get low in a corner. You con get foot pegs that are a little higher too.

·
Registered
494 Posts
For sure tighten up the rear shock preload.

I would also add some extra air to your tires and or check where the pressures are currently.

Stock rear is 41 lbs, bump it up to maybe 44 ?

Stock front 33 lbs, try 35 ?

Check your pressures immediately before doing shock spring and see how it rides.

Good luck.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I had the 3-inch fork extensions and when I took a corner very low, it's still scraped. I didn't stop the scraping until I moved up to a 55 rear tire. It actually made the ride a little more comfortable as well. I believe stock is 200 18 50. The extra 5 mm of height really helped.

·
Registered
6,240 Posts
I had the 3-inch fork extensions and when I took a corner very low, it's still scraped. I didn't stop the scraping until I moved up to a 55 rear tire. It actually made the ride a little more comfortable as well. I believe stock is 200 18 50. The extra 5 mm of height really helped.
Technically it's 10mm difference in sidewall height as the 50 or 55 in the aspect ratio is 50% or 55% of the width of the tire.

So the 55 series tire is roughly 3/8" taller at the sidewall.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Know the feeling well, I needed to lift my foot off the peg going around corners till it had finished doing it's giggly stuff. Purely geometry - I dropped the triple trees 50 mm lower to reduce head angle and fitted pivot pegs, which are wider but shorter in length. They're like a mini platform and pivot with your foot of course. I removed and shaped the gear shift and needed to shorten the brake to suit which it needed to be lightened. Now you can actually miss a pothole and get around a corner nicely.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Know the feeling well, I needed to lift my foot off the peg going around corners till it had finished doing it's giggly stuff. Purely geometry - I dropped the triple trees 50 mm lower to reduce head angle and fitted pivot pegs, which are wider but shorter in length. They're like a mini platform and pivot with your foot of course. I removed and shaped the gear shift and needed to shorten the brake to suit which it needed to be lightened. Now you can actually miss a pothole and get around a corner nicely.
Show is some pictures. That sounds like a great idea.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Here is some pic's, I shaped them in a vice with soft jaws. The brake was way too long with the new angle so I shortened it and made a pedal from ally bar. Dropping the trees gives a few degrees change, I have tried lower but the trail gets out of wack. There is 15 mm of preload by the way of machine washers in the right fork leg to get it working nicely. The pegs are 2 inches in and there shape give more height clearance
DSC_0205.JPG
DSC_0206.JPG
DSC_0207.JPG
DSC_0208.JPG
DSC_0209.JPG

·
Registered
6,240 Posts
Here is some pic's, I shaped them in a vice with soft jaws. The brake was way too long with the new angle so I shortened it and made a pedal from ally bar. Dropping the trees gives a few degrees change, I have tried lower but the trail gets out of wack. There is 15 mm of preload by the way of machine washers in the right fork leg to get it working nicely. The pegs are 2 inches in and there shape give more height clearance View attachment 239188 View attachment 239189 View attachment 239190 View attachment 239191 View attachment 239192 .
Need a pic of the whole bike so we can get a good look at the front end and bars.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Here is some pic's, I shaped them in a vice with soft jaws. The brake was way too long with the new angle so I shortened it and made a pedal from ally bar. Dropping the trees gives a few degrees change, I have tried lower but the trail gets out of wack. There is 15 mm of preload by the way of machine washers in the right fork leg to get it working nicely. The pegs are 2 inches in and there shape give more height clearance View attachment 239188 View attachment 239189 View attachment 239190 View attachment 239191 View attachment 239192 .
That's a pretty cool setup, but your scraping is due to the clip on bars. Brevill mentioned earlier in this post, if you get a set of 2" or 3" fork extenders, it would bring it up to a ride height that more than likely, eliminate it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm not scraping at all, a stepper front means you can turn with less lean angle. It is a complex thing to explain that lower front end will give more cornering ability, a perfect setup would be to get 6 mm negative offset triple trees and adjustable compression on the forks. I looked at the 200 x 55 rear but thought it might rub on the shock mount, raising the rear also improves handling. I came from sport bikes to this arm chair purely to keep my license and still have buckets of fun. With this setup it corners great and low bars reduce the wind, it is so comfortable I can't stop grinning while sailing through the mountains. Forgive the grotty shed I'm in the process of making a new seat for the pillion and then me.
DSC_0207.JPG
DSC_0208.JPG
DSC_0209.JPG
DSC_0210.JPG
DSC_0211.JPG

·
Registered
15 Posts
Believe it or not it's raining outside, much better than 40 C. That's why all these pics are inside. If UnfortunateOne running 200 x 55 x
DSC_0212.JPG
DSC_0213.JPG
18 could check how much clearance he has between the rear shock mount and tire would be interested to know.

·
Registered
6,240 Posts
Believe it or not it's raining outside, much better than 40 C. That's why all these pics are inside. If UnfortunateOne running 200 x 55 x View attachment 239205 View attachment 239206 18 could check how much clearance he has between the rear shock mount and tire would be interested to know.
Definitely makes it look more like a Sabre.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts