Honda Fury Forums: banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Noticed tonight when trying to clean up my paw prints from installing the L&M 8 degree trees that there are scratches all over these things. I was very careful installing but yes I did get some bearing grease on them fighting between getting center bolt started into top tree and keeping top bearing from flying off.

Question: can you use chrome polish to clean polished aluminum and would it possibly remove some of the scratches (like swirl marks in paint) or create more? Right now, they look like s*#T and fixin to head off to the chrome shop.:mad:

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Mental......glad to see you back in the game...hope you're feeling 1000x better!!

·
Registered
970 Posts
They had a problem with alot of them being a little messed up try pming Chris but you can polish them out if they are just swirl marks.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Just depends on what the scratches are from. If they are just very light scratches use aluminum polish and a diaper cloth, NOT chrome polish. If they are heavy scratches you will need to buff with a wheel or possibly sand and then buff.

·
Super Moderator
6,731 Posts
Thanks John. I don’t have any problems with my trees, but noticed the fat fork tubes are very soft. By the end of the riding season I expect I will have some marks in them from bugs, rocks etc. Guess then I’ll decide if I get everything chromed.

Anybody notice marks on the trees where they hit the frame stop? I have two good little dents now.

·
Premium Member
3,454 Posts
i managed to put some nice black burns on my pipes because i insist on wiping them down immediately after a rain. idiot.
i softened the burn marks with goof off and then lightly scratched them off with my fingernails.
the pipes looked like crap after that. but, some chrome polish really did the trick.
as for your fat fork tubes (not a nice thing to call your fork tubes, buddy...), you might be on to something--get them chromed some day--that'll be an awesome look for your very hot bike, Richard.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Thanks John. I don’t have any problems with my trees, but noticed the fat fork tubes are very soft. By the end of the riding season I expect I will have some marks in them from bugs, rocks etc. Guess then I’ll decide if I get everything chromed.

Anybody notice marks on the trees where they hit the frame stop? I have two good little dents now.
When MFR did the MFR mod on my bike he put 2 little beads on the stops because the trees were going to hit the tank so when I installed the trees it still cleared the tank. Might want to have someone take a welder and put a little dab on the stop and then just touch it up with some paint and it will never be noticed. Gluing a rubber stop there would probably work but will eventually fall of.

Richard I think I might have misunderstood you I thought may be talking about the fuel tank not the actual tree

·
Super Moderator
4,476 Posts
When MFR did the MFR mod on my bike he put 2 little beads on the stops because the trees were going to hit the tank so when I installed the trees it still cleared the tank. Might want to have someone take a welder and put a little dab on the stop and then just touch it up with some paint and it will never be noticed. Gluing a rubber stop there would probably work but will eventually fall of.

Richard I think I might have misunderstood you I thought may be talking about the fuel tank not the actual tree
This is a good point that I also forgot about for the second time. For those who have has not checked it out yet you might want to take a quick look at the new clearance between the tank and bars after the new tree install. This is the second time I forgot to do this and have put another small nick in the tank from that friggen lower brake connector bolt on the right side. Turn you bars slowly in both directions to check the clearance to make sure they are not going to make contact with the tank. If you don't have risers you might find that you need to make a small adjustments to prevent hitting the tank. Loosen the two allen bolts on either the clutch or brake perch and turn them slightly up and away for a little more tank clearance so they don't hit.

Also the tree's will be easy to scratch on install. I would suggest to wrap them in masking tape while installing them help to prevent the chance of any scratching while istalling them and then just peel the tape off when complete.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Fixed the problem....by this time tomorrow, there will be no scratches, only pretty shiney new chrome. Plus that damn ugly center bolt will shine too.

Thanks Dave for the tape suggestion, good idea. I'll do that especially now with the chrome job....probably use painters tape though, but get the point.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
How are you getting the chrome done so fast?
Got lucky that time....he was working on some parts for me and had the tanks hot as he says....took them in Wed at 6pm, told him I really needed them back in a week, he said I'll have them tomorrow night. What could I say except how much? $100

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts