Honda Fury Forums: banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was riding past the local honda dealer, when i noticed he had a matte silver SE fury out front...so i pulled in to see what # it was and the last 3 digits of the vin were 657. I was under the impression that they only made 500 of the SE models.
Can anyone confirm or deny the theory that the last numbers of your vin are your production number. and is there a different line of numbers for each color, etc...

·
Premium Member
1,995 Posts
Each color has a different VIN series. I checked this myself when I went to Coyote Honda and they had all 5 colors on the floor. I forget which part it was though.

As for the SE bikes, they are only supposed to make 500 in that color. Are you sure it was an SE bike? Blacked out rims, Matte paint... I just don't see how 657 comes out of no where. If you look at the mock registry, most of the lower numbers have been purchased already... maybe it was a 057???

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm certain it was the SE, and i looked at the vin # that is stamped on the front of the frame where the fork attaches not on a label that could have been misprinted., it was clearly a 000657

I have to take mine there tomorrow for the 600 mile maintenance, I will ask the dealer about it while i'm there and try to snap a pic to show u

·
Registered
50 Posts
I'm certain it was the SE, and i looked at the vin # that is stamped on the front of the frame where the fork attaches not on a label that could have been misprinted., it was clearly a 000657

I have to take mine there tomorrow for the 600 mile maintenance, I will ask the dealer about it while i'm there and try to snap a pic to show u
That would be awesome Raven if you could post a pic tomorrow because I am very interested in this now as well. Thanks for the heads up.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I don't think I ever read anything official about the "special edition" being limited to 500. I was wondering where that came from. I'll bet they'll make as many as necessary. It's special because its matte silver and has black wheels with a red pin stripe but I don't think it is a "limited edition".

·
Premium Member
2,561 Posts
I don't think I ever read anything official about the "special edition" being limited to 500. I was wondering where that came from. I'll bet they'll make as many as necessary. It's special because its matte silver and has black wheels with a red pin stripe but I don't think it is a "limited edition".
It is in all the media blitz and the Fury brochures

·
Premium Member
2,561 Posts
As for the SE bikes, they are only supposed to make 500 in that color. Are you sure it was an SE bike? Blacked out rims, Matte paint... I just don't see how 657 comes out of no where. If you look at the mock registry, most of the lower numbers have been purchased already... maybe it was a 057???[/QUOTE]

There are 3 differant VDC (Vehical Description Codes) for the Fury, there is no number within the VIN that identifies color. Numbers 4-8 in the VIN make up the VDC, for the Fury they are SC610 - 49 state model, SC611 - 50 state model, and SC615 - Matte Silver (all are 50 state models). The next number after the VDC is a check digit, has no bearing on anything, it is used to detect errors in VINs. If you give the VIN to a dealer he can tell what color it is by typing it in to Hondas dealer net, or parts section.
One way to quickly disprove this would be to find a blue (or black, or silver, or red) with the same last 3 numbers as one of the ones on PREDATORs registry

·
Premium Member
749 Posts
One way to quickly disprove this would be to find a blue (or black, or silver, or red) with the same last 3 numbers as one of the ones on PREDATORs registry[/QUOTE]
I have a black #53 and (#53 Hydroboy35th Ohio) off PREDATORs registry

·
Premium Member
2,561 Posts
One way to quickly disprove this would be to find a blue (or black, or silver, or red) with the same last 3 numbers as one of the ones on PREDATORs registry
I have a black #53 and (#53 Hydroboy35th Ohio) off PREDATORs registry[/QUOTE]

Thanks, that means that the last numbers of the VIN are the number of each VDC built.

·
Premium Member
1,995 Posts
Thanks, that means that the last numbers of the VIN are the number of each VDC built.
Exactly :cool: Each color has it's own numbering. However, the matte silver should be limited to 500.

Still waiting confirmation of #657

·
Registered
72 Posts
I'm sure this might have been an experimental venture with Honda not knowing if such a bike would be a big hit. Honda riders, except for the crotch rocketeers, tend to be a more conservative group.

Possibly since they are now so well received and selling like ice cream cones in July they decided to make more than originally planned?

·
Premium Member
2,561 Posts
Exactly :cool: Each color has it's own numbering. However, the matte silver should be limited to 500.

Still waiting confirmation of #657
Each COLOR does NOT have a distinct VDC, each series ( 49 state , 50 state, and se) does. May be semantics (sp) but I agree that the Matte (SC615 VDC code) is differant and runs 00001 thru (something), which doesn't help the OP much

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
The dealerships owners wife (Mike wasn't around) didn't know anything about the vin # or if the SE was limited to 500...
but i did double check and it is a 657
[/URL][/IMG]

sorry for the blurry image. cell phone camera doesn't take decent pics indoors.

hard to see with the blur, but you can make out the 657 at the end of vin#, and i matched it to the stamped in VIN on the neck

·
Premium Member
2,561 Posts
Thanks for the pic, I looked at the literature we have for the Fury and it does say special edition, but does not say how many.

·
Premium Member
1,995 Posts
The dealerships owners wife (Mike wasn't around) didn't know anything about the vin # or if the SE was limited to 500...
but i did double check and it is a 657

sorry for the blurry image. cell phone camera doesn't take decent pics indoors.

hard to see with the blur, but you can make out the 657 at the end of vin#, and i matched it to the stamped in VIN on the neck
I still don't see anything. Still very optimistic :rolleyes:

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
making only 500 really doesn't make sense. there are 1200 honda dealerships in the USA. The local one here isn't a power seller, so i doubt he would be given one just to put on the showroom floor, i would think that it would need to be special ordered if it was limited to so few....
I'm guessing that the special edition simply means that the matte silver won't be available in the 2011 and beyond models.

·
Premium Member
2,561 Posts
making only 500 really doesn't make sense. there are 1200 honda dealerships in the USA. The local one here isn't a power seller, so i doubt he would be given one just to put on the showroom floor, i would think that it would need to be special ordered if it was limited to so few....
I'm guessing that the special edition simply means that the matte silver won't be available in the 2011 and beyond models.
Last year Honda made a blue GL1800 that was limited to 500 units, dealers bought them all up the first day or so they were avail. So they do make small amounts of "special" bikes like that.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts