Honda Fury Forums: banner

Service before or after winter??...

1K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  Richard1 
#1 ·
I have a quick question...

I bought my Fury earlier this month and am quickly approaching the 600 mile mark. Do you think it would be better for me to get my 600 mile service done now before winter hits or wait until early spring to get this done?

I am afraid there isn't much riding time left here in Cincinnati and would hate to get the service done and have the bike sit for a few months.

Any ideas would be great...

#2 ·
Normally the service is done between 600-1000 miles. Most have said around 800 miles is perfect to give the valve a chance to be seated. My advice would be to dress warm, ride your Fury a bit more and get the service done before winter sets in. If you read your owners manual, it says before you store your bike to wash it, change the oil and either drain the gas or add an additive. Also it says to let 20% of the air out of your tires, it you can't get the bike on a stand (witch is normal for a street bike) make sure the tires are away from moisture and wrap a plastic bag around the exhaust outlet. Being said, I would have the service done before you store it.

#5 ·
Yeah.. Def get the service done. The reason they recomend getting your service done at 600 is because new motors and gears are very tight. During the first few hundred miles, all the gears will wear to eachother, as they do you can see tiny metal shavings in the first oil change (Witch is normal). You don't want that stuff sitting in your motor for a few months. For cold weather riding, I wear a bandana around the top of my head, then I put on a mask that covers my nose down to my neck, once you add glasses or goggles, your totally covered. Gloves and a wind prof jacket (North Face) is perfect for the cold. Be sure to wear boots as there warmer and put a rubberband around the bottom of your pants legs to keep the wind from going up your legs. This is what I did, it was around 50 here in Baltimore, MD yesterday and the ride was warm and comfortable.

#8 ·
Where are you at in Cincy? I am north of you in Dayton. Suppose to be another warm day (for Ohio) today so I'm gonna be hittin the road hard. Me and some buddy's did about 120 miles yesterday and the butt was a little sore by the end.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.