Honda Fury Forums: banner

41 - 60 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
12,351 Posts
I can't stand a dirty bike, especially the chrome. I'd rather wake up early and fix my woman up or stay up later and fix her up. That way if I'm tired I have the day at work to recover........... It's called time management for you young guns.:wink:
Ah, Stephen....I wish you could see how dirty mine is. The chrome may never shine the same again as when it was new. Bugs all over it....dingy dirty chrome.... You must clean your bike after every single ride. If I worried about that shit as much as you, I'd go insane......or more insane I guess. When I do actually clean my bike, all it takes is a couple miles down the road and the bugs have dirtied it up again. It's just not worth it to me. I'm at the point now that I guess I'm going to have to clean it. There are literally so many bugs on the headlight that the light can't get through very well. As filthy as my bike is, I doubt that a gal would want to have sex on it with Brad Pitt even.

·
Registered
958 Posts
You must clean your bike after every single ride. If I worried about that shit as much as you, I'd go insane......or more insane I guess. When I do actually clean my bike, all it takes is a couple miles down the road and the bugs have dirtied it up again. It's just not worth it to me. I'm at the point now that I guess I'm going to have to clean it. There are literally so many bugs on the headlight that the light can't get through very well. As filthy as my bike is, I doubt that a gal would want to have sex on it with Brad Pitt even.
Lol.. your headlight sounds like a K&N air filter ad, where it gets more efficient as it traps more dirt particles ;)

·
Registered
6,241 Posts
Ah, Stephen....I wish you could see how dirty mine is. The chrome may never shine the same again as when it was new. Bugs all over it....dingy dirty chrome.... You must clean your bike after every single ride. If I worried about that shit as much as you, I'd go insane......or more insane I guess. When I do actually clean my bike, all it takes is a couple miles down the road and the bugs have dirtied it up again. It's just not worth it to me. I'm at the point now that I guess I'm going to have to clean it. There are literally so many bugs on the headlight that the light can't get through very well. As filthy as my bike is, I doubt that a gal would want to have sex on it with Brad Pitt even.
Good thing I'm not Brad Pitt>:)

·
Registered
12,351 Posts
Lol.. your headlight sounds like a K&N air filter ad, where it gets more efficient as it traps more dirt particles ;)
LOL I like to have a clean bike, but if I was as concerned about it as Stephen, I'd never want to ride it 'cause it'd get dirty. I'm like this with every vehicle I've ever owned. When it's new, I keep it spotless. Then, as time goes by, I clean it less and less until it's almost never. I'll probably wash it once this season....maybe.

·
Registered
6,241 Posts
LOL I like to have a clean bike, but if I was as concerned about it as Stephen, I'd never want to ride it 'cause it'd get dirty. I'm like this with every vehicle I've ever owned. When it's new, I keep it spotless. Then, as time goes by, I clean it less and less until it's almost never. I'll probably wash it once this season....maybe.
I usually hose mine off and wipe it down before I take her out.

·
Registered
5,310 Posts
:surprise: What?? You really keep the bike like that?

I keep my bike in the garage under two covers. The first cover is a soft non scratch type and the second is a weatherproof type so that moisture and salt in the air don't condense on the bike. In between washing and polishing I wipe the wheels every other day with a wet microfiber towel and then I dry them with a clean microfiber towel. That keeps the road dirt and brake dust off the chrome. I wipe the paint and chrome with detailing spray twice a week. I wash the bike at least every two weeks but often every week. The reason is that I don't want anything to sit on the surface and spoil the finish of the bike. Plus don't forget I live about 100 metres (109 yards) from the water so salt is my major enemy.

·
Registered
12,351 Posts
:surprise: What?? You really keep the bike like that?

I keep my bike in the garage under two covers. The first cover is a soft non scratch type and the second is a weatherproof type so that moisture and salt in the air don't condense on the bike. In between washing and polishing I wipe the wheels every other day with a wet microfiber towel and then I dry them with a clean microfiber towel. That keeps the road dirt and brake dust off the chrome. I wipe the paint and chrome with detailing spray twice a week. I wash the bike at least every two weeks but often every week. The reason is that I don't want anything to sit on the surface and spoil the finish of the bike. Plus don't forget I live about 100 metres (109 yards) from the water so salt is my major enemy.
Does this mean you won't ride with me and my dirty bike when you come to visit? Yes, I literally haven't washed it in..........3 years....???..... I guess maybe all the extra weight of the bug guts might slow me down some, but it seems to run very well. I keep the inside clean with clean oil and clean air filter, so as long as it operates well, I'm not too worried about it. I gave up on cleaning the wheels a long time ago. Brake dust all over them.

Believe it or not, I may have been worse than you way back when I was younger. Whatever bike I had back then, when we would stop for fuel or whatever, I'd have a rag and wipe down the bike before we hit the road again. On impact a grasshopper exploded all over the bike and I almost committed suicide.

·
Registered
130 Posts
My bike is spotless, cleaned after every ride and garage kept.

I don't dare use soap and nasty water on her. She gets compressed air to blow off dust, meguairs detailer on all painted surfaces, glass cleaner on all chrome and glass, leather cleaner on the seat.... EVERYTIME she comes back from a ride. Then once a month I use a cleaner wax, then a carnuba polish wax and a third coat of carnuba show wax.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Reactions: WI_Hedgehog

·
Registered
130 Posts
Bugs never stuck to the paint... they glide off

Reactions: WI_Hedgehog

·
Premium Member
2,896 Posts
Wow. I dust mine when I think of it, or if I post a pic and Crazyhorse shames me for having a dirty bike :)

I haven't washed it since I took it to a show in March, but in Bakersfield, you don't really have to. Dust is amazing here, but (aside from a couple of weeks in the spring) we don't even have a bug problem here. Not much to get the bike dirty.

Even the exhaust tips? Unbelieveable.

·
Registered
12,351 Posts
Wow. I dust mine when I think of it, or if I post a pic and Crazyhorse shames me for having a dirty bike :)

I haven't washed it since I took it to a show in March, but in Bakersfield, you don't really have to. Dust is amazing here, but (aside from a couple of weeks in the spring) we don't even have a bug problem here. Not much to get the bike dirty.

Even the exhaust tips? Unbelieveable.
No bugs?! The damn bugs here are so bad, even when my bike is sitting still, the fuckers will make kamikaze runs on it.

·
Premium Member
2,896 Posts
No bugs?! The damn bugs here are so bad, even when my bike is sitting still, the fuckers will make kamikaze runs on it.
Particularly in the summer, I just leave the back door open, nothing flies in, and the dogs can come and go as they wish. However, come afternoon, when it's up over 100, the door stays closed.

·
Registered
12,351 Posts
Particularly in the summer, I just leave the back door open, nothing flies in, and the dogs can come and go as they wish. However, come afternoon, when it's up over 100, the door stays closed.
Is it because you live near the ocean, or what? S.E. Kansas must be a prime environment for bugs. If you leave your door open here, your house will be filled with flies, moths, beetles, wasps, grasshoppers, ticks, mice, hobos, illegal Mexicans........ In early Spring and late Fall I can leave the doors open, which is nice.

·
Premium Member
2,896 Posts
I'm inland about 2 hours, and if it wasn't for all the farms and water brought in, this would be a desert. Hot, super dry (we hit 5% humidity once, and that was weird. Hurt to go outside.), great for motorcycling and astronomy!

·
Registered
12,351 Posts
I'm inland about 2 hours, and if it wasn't for all the farms and water brought in, this would be a desert. Hot, super dry (we hit 5% humidity once, and that was weird. Hurt to go outside.), great for motorcycling and astronomy!
5%..??... It doesn't get that dry in the winter here. ASTRONOMY! I've been meaning to get my little telescope out. I haven't used it since before my divorce. It's not very powerful, but big enough that I saw a few of Jupiter's moons for the first time in my life, without it being a picture or video. I wasn't even aware of what I was looking at with my poor eyesight. My wife at the time and I were looking at Jupiter and she asked what the little lights were around it. I was so focused on the planet, I hadn't even noticed the moons before. That was my most thrilling experience with star gazing.

·
Premium Member
2,896 Posts
The first time I saw Jupiter (and realized I was seeing moons) was probably one of my biggest thrills, too. Finding Saturn one winter was right up there, too. I bought a scope in 2003, and took it out quite a bit early on. Now not so much. Kids are busy/moved, and the wife doesn't want to look at 'little white dots that all look alike'. Then she gets pouty when I'm gone until 1 am, right when things start to look great. Bah. Really, really relaxing to be up on the mountain on a cool night during the summer. I miss it.

·
Registered
12,351 Posts
The first time I saw Jupiter (and realized I was seeing moons) was probably one of my biggest thrills, too. Finding Saturn one winter was right up there, too. I bought a scope in 2003, and took it out quite a bit early on. Now not so much. Kids are busy/moved, and the wife doesn't want to look at 'little white dots that all look alike'. Then she gets pouty when I'm gone until 1 am, right when things start to look great. Bah. Really, really relaxing to be up on the mountain on a cool night during the summer. I miss it.
I've always wanted around a 12" Dobsonian reflector with auto tracking, but they are so damned expensive for a good one. All I have is a little 4" reflector that has a shitty spotter and I of course have to chase the object across the sky which gets tiresome. That's why I haven't taken it out for so long.

41 - 60 of 83 Posts