Honda Fury Forums: banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After cutting the originals off, did you need a special drill bit to go through the shafts?? fairly easy?? Thx

·
Registered
835 Posts
After cutting the originals off, did you need a special drill bit to go through the shafts?? fairly easy?? Thx
It's times like this, I wish I did my own work, but a local bike builder installed mine. I do know he ordered a diamond tip saw blade to cut it off, but didn't mention any special drill bit to drill them out. The problem is that if you get the metal too hot while sawing off the ends, then the chrome will blue. Probably not much help, but that is all I know. :eek:

·
Premium Member
1,970 Posts
Nothing special other than metal drill bits..
Start with a smaller bit then a bit larger, then the size that meets the bolt size.. (normally 5/16)

Try to keep the temp down while drilling not to heat the chrome finish too hot..
Don't get in a hurry...

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Nothing special other than metal drill bits..
Start with a smaller bit then a bit larger, then the size that meets the bolt size.. (normally 5/16)

Try to keep the temp down while drilling not to heat the chrome finish too hot..
Don't get in a hurry...
And dont have someone over your shoulder saying "your not through yet?"

·
Super Moderator
4,476 Posts
Make sure you take the time to check and mark and your starter holes so as they are perfectly centered on you shifter and brake arm or your pegs may not sit right. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
This is defintely something I want to do soon also. I know that using a sawzall will be a little flimsy and a angle grinder with a thin cutoff blade would heat up too much. What did you use? Defintely use some oil when your drilling so you dont chew up bits. And I would use a black of wood so when you get through it wont push through and hit the frame or radiator. I think taking both arms off would be easier but looks kinda tough to do.

·
Super Moderator
4,476 Posts
Many options are available for the cut but a sawzall with a new blade is a very good choice. Tape up your shift and brake arms and cover the rest of the area for to help prevent any unfortunate slip that might occur during the operation that could cause a scratch to chrome of the arms.

·
Premium Member
1,970 Posts
This is defintely something I want to do soon also. I know that using a sawzall will be a little flimsy and a angle grinder with a thin cutoff blade would heat up too much. What did you use? Defintely use some oil when your drilling so you dont chew up bits. And I would use a black of wood so when you get through it wont push through and hit the frame or radiator. I think taking both arms off would be easier but looks kinda tough to do.
A sawzall works great while the pedals are on the bike..
metal blade.. it doesn't heat up too much..
I tape off the chrome pedal with masking tape

·
Registered
2,389 Posts

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
for cutting and drilling, take your time, use oil to help keep it cool, and for drilling just center punch it to keep bit from slipping while starting

·
Premium Member
1,970 Posts
let me guess......RSS, or the wifey??
none of the above..lol..
He was at my house when we cut them off...
I used the sawzall to cut them off and a he drilled the holes out..
I was giving him shit along the way:D.. However I did feed the oil while he was drilling..
Loctite and stainless steel bolts..

·
Premium Member
6,195 Posts
none of the above..lol..
He was at my house when we cut them off...
I used the sawzall to cut them off and a he drilled the holes out..
I was giving him shit along the way:D.. However I did feed the oil while he was drilling..
Loctite and stainless steel bolts..
Ha, that's funny...

On mine I actually used a regular jigsaw then I tapped the center of the lever with a punch, grabbed my drill bits, starting with the smallest bit first, thinking 1/8th of an inch and just worked my way up the sizes until it was just bigger than the bolt... don't break off a bit in there! Take your time with the bits....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts