Honda Fury Forums: banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so today I finally pulled the bike off the stand where it has been sitting since November ! Lol.... sumo kit and ALS kit done but fender still needs paint . So when the tires finally hit the ground she is sitting extremely low. I do have the L&M spring in and am wondering when that was installed if I had loss of fluid in the shock how much ride height could I have possibly lost ?

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I believe it should only be a 1.5" lower with the Low and Mean spring.

·
Premium Member
2,560 Posts
Ok so today I finally pulled the bike off the stand where it has been sitting since November ! Lol.... sumo kit and ALS kit done but fender still needs paint . So when the tires finally hit the ground she is sitting extremely low. I do have the L&M spring in and am wondering when that was installed if I had loss of fluid in the shock how much ride height could I have possibly lost ?
Putting the spring on will not cause a loss of fluid/gas. Try turning the preload back up.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I rode all season with the L&m spring in I do believe I lost fluid how much I Am not sure . If I lost all the fluid how much difference will there be in the ride height . At this point I am glad I kept my stock spring.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I did its all the way high . When the shock was taken out fluid was lost when the plumbing was disconnected.
:confused::confused: Sunoffabitch, if that's the case!

So you had to disconnect the "plumbing" to install the ALS??

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
:confused::confused: Sunoffabitch, if that's the case!

So you had to disconnect the "plumbing" to install the ALS??
No my ALS air lowering system VIA Sumo is not the problem when I bought the bike last April I bought the L&M spring the plumbing that goes from the spring preload adjuster was disconnected and that's were the fluid loss happened. This sux I have less than an inch between fender and tire . I think I have to switch back to the stock spring.

·
Premium Member
2,560 Posts
No my ALS air lowering system VIA Sumo is not the problem when I bought the bike last April I bought the L&M spring the plumbing that goes from the spring preload adjuster was disconnected and that's were the fluid loss happened. This sux I have less than an inch between fender and tire . I think I have to switch back to the stock spring.
IF that is the case, this is what I would do, if it were mine put the bike on a stand, remove all preload from the adjuster, unbolt the reservoir/knob from the bike, turn it over, remove the banjo bolt, fill it with fork oil and reassemble

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
IF that is the case, this is what I would do, if it were mine put the bike on a stand, remove all preload from the adjuster, unbolt the reservoir/knob from the bike, turn it over, remove the banjo bolt, fill it with fork oil and reassemble
Clue will this make a difference in ride hight if not then I have to put stock spring back on .

·
Premium Member
1,109 Posts
THe plumbing didn't need to be removed to mount the l&m spring now I think you need shock replacement or work because even stock spring won't help with fluid loss.

·
Premium Member
403 Posts
THe plumbing didn't need to be removed to mount the l&m spring now I think you need shock replacement or work because even stock spring won't help with fluid loss.
If you lost fluid you are riding entirely on spring! I am not familiar with these shocks and do not know if you can add fluid, I actually thought they were gas charged!

·
Premium Member
2,560 Posts
Clue will this make a difference in ride hight if not then I have to put stock spring back on .
Yes and no, it will increase (restore) the preload on the spring, which will keep the rear some compressing the spring as soon/much. Many GL1800 riders have done this due to fluid loss. Replacing with the stock spring will be like a stock bike with 0 preload on it, will look tall unloaded, but will set lower as you get on the bike. I would try it before removing the shock to replace the spring, shouldn't take 1/2 hour or so.

·
Premium Member
2,560 Posts
If you lost fluid you are riding entirely on spring! I am not familiar with these shocks and do not know if you can add fluid, I actually thought they were gas charged!
The preload is separate from the shock, the preload knob compresses a cylinder/reservoir that uses hyd press to displace a piston at the top of the shock, it moves like 3/8 in adding/removing preload to the spring. If you have lost gas/oil from the actual shock, then the entire unit has to be replaced.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Yes and no, it will increase (restore) the preload on the spring, which will keep the rear some compressing the spring as soon/much. Many GL1800 riders have done this due to fluid loss. Replacing with the stock spring will be like a stock bike with 0 preload on it, will look tall unloaded, but will set lower as you get on the bike. I would try it before removing the shock to replace the spring, shouldn't take 1/2 hour or so.
ok let me try this route first . Than dude ...

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Damn, man!
:(

Hope you can get it fixed!

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The preload is separate from the shock, the preload knob compresses a cylinder/reservoir that uses hyd press to displace a piston at the top of the shock, it moves like 3/8 in adding/removing preload to the spring. If you have lost gas/oil from the actual shock, then the entire unit has to be replaced.
Replaced ???? Wtf .... so can I or can't I add fluid ?

·
Registered
970 Posts
+2 on that never seen one filled with oil usually a gas but that has been on all my dirt bikes not to sure about street but I bet its the same.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts