Honda Fury Forums: banner

1 - 20 of 295 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Side stand exchange program

I am going to powder coat my side stand and was thinking of trying to do an exchange program for others that may want to have this done also. I have a family member that does powder coating and can prob get them done cheap. I really don't know what others are charging to have the stand powder coated, but I am willing to be a middle man and start an exchange program, all I need is 2 or 3 to start I guess. Thoughts from the group ?

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
Honestly I dont know how well powdercoat would hold up, it would get scuffed when its down and its a baked enamel which could cause it to peal. I think paint would be better unless you powdercoat then have a stainless "shoe" on the end to take up the scratches

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Troop powder coat over paint on a part like that any day. I powder coated mine and just about everything else on my bike . It sounds like a good idea but don't limit yourself to just the side stand . I have a powder coat system in my garage. I thought about this but I don't have the time for it . The bottom of the side stand will scratch up but it will never peel off . Paint would scratch just with your boot always kicking at it. Powder coat is baked on a sand blasted part at 400* it ain't peeling...

·
Premium Member
3,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Troop powder coat over paint on a part like that any day. I powder coated mine and just about everything else on my bike . It sounds like a good idea but don't limit yourself to just the side stand . I have a powder coat system in my garage. I thought about this but I don't have the time for it . The bottom of the side stand will scratch up but it will never peel off . Paint would scratch just with your boot always kicking at it. Powder coat is baked on a sand blasted part at 400* it ain't peeling...
Thanks Billy, just trying to start small and not overwhelm myself or the guy that powder coats for me. I don't want to promise anyone anything and get behind and it turn sour.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
I hear ya Troop ... I will tell you what when I started powder coating my parts it started out where I was only going to do a couple of things but then I just got carried away and went nutz . One thing I had a problem with was figuring out how to do the front brake master cylinder site glass which is really plastic and has an o-ring behind it . What I did was had a plug made by a friend who spun it on a lathe and reused the o-ring and pressed into place . Worked our great .... You can also use a freeze plug same concept . I found someone interested in helping me out if I didn't go the rout of the plug and wanted to reuse my site glass instead and that happened to be Stump . So if you ever get started and end up doing yours or anyone elses front brake master cylinder those are three options for you.

·
Premium Member
3,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I hear ya Troop ... I will tell you what when I started powder coating my parts it started out where I was only going to do a couple of things but then I just got carried away and went nutz . One thing I had a problem with was figuring out how to do the front brake master cylinder site glass which is really plastic and has an o-ring behind it . What I did was had a plug made by a friend who spun it on a lathe and reused the o-ring and pressed into place . Worked our great .... You can also use a freeze plug same concept . I found someone interested in helping me out if I didn't go the rout of the plug and wanted to reuse my site glass instead and that happened to be Stump . So if you ever get started and end up doing yours or anyone elses front brake master cylinder those are three options for you.
good info, thanks

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Im interested. Got a price?

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
I'm interested too depending on price, would be nice if there was a way to purchase a powder coated one and then send yours back and that way for those of us without some type of jack or stand wouldn't be put in a hard spot, either way i'll watch the thread and see what you say, thanks for offering this up to us.

·
Premium Member
3,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I will have my kickstand (powdercoated) back next week, I now have an extra one so I can start this:

First person to do this I will powdercoat my extra stand and send to them, then they replace theirs with the new powdercoated one and send their OEM back to me. I will then use the one I get back for the next person so there is no down time.

I will have the stand sandblasted first before powdercoating.

Cost = $ 25.00 Shipped

Any takers ?

·
Registered
428 Posts
I'm in.

I will have my kickstand (powdercoated) back next week, I now have an extra one so I can start this:

First person to do this I will powdercoat my extra stand and send to them, then they replace theirs with the new powdercoated one and send their OEM back to me. I will then use the one I get back for the next person so there is no down time.

I will have the stand sandblasted first before powdercoating.

Cost = $ 25.00 Shipped

Any takers ?
Hey Troop. Im in. I want one. Let me know when and how to send payment.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Ok let me break this down $5 shipping $5 material ( powder ) leaves $15 profit . What a great price he could easily charge $50 . Great deal Troop ....

·
Premium Member
3,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hey Troop. Im in. I want one. Let me know when and how to send payment.
Ok your first.. I will PM you my paypal info when my stand comes in. then give me a few days to get my other one (the one on my bike) coated and shipped. What color you want ?

·
Premium Member
3,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok let me break this down $5 shipping $5 material ( powder ) leaves $15 profit . What a great price he could easily charge $50 . Great deal Troop ....
Thanks Billy, the 15 bucks goes even further, gonna give my uncle 10 for each stand he does for me, he is retired and can always use the cash. Plus I will have to pay for the sandblasting material so I am not making anything really. No big deal tho. I enjoy doing stuff like this.

·
Premium Member
3,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm in, what color's are you offering, I'd like mine black... Let me know when you want to do this..
He has all kinds of colors....I will have to do some trial and error if someone wants blue or orange to match their bike, but I can coat it then run to the stealership and try to match.

·
Premium Member
3,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Here is how it goes

Zitrosfury will get a stand powder coated from me, then he will replace his and send his OEM to me. I will then powder coat his OEM and send that to Ohiofury and the process repeats for husker.

1 - 20 of 295 Posts