Honda Fury Forums: banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Spent the afternoon working at the coal forge and anvil:

Was hammering 11/16" round steel bar into matching sides of a flaming sissy bar for the motorcycle.

Had to first taper the ends of 2 36" pieces of 11/16" mild steel round bar to points... then heating and hand hammering each bend to conform as best as possible to the drawing, and make them match.

The next step will be to install the Ginz mounts and insert the primary bars to determine just how much adjustment is needed to meet perfectly in the middle while mounted up. Make the adjustment, weld the halves together, and then start hammering out the smaller flame licks.

Then it's a bunch of filing, grinding, polishing, tapping the ends for bolts, and off to the chromers.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,454 Posts
you are major ironworker, dj!
nice start...can't wait to see the progress pix.

·
Premium Member
2,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had to do something to keep my mind off the long-awaited apehangers... I heard they're due back from chrome and the extended cables and lines are ordered... Can't be too much longer.

·
Premium Member
6,731 Posts
That is great!! cant wait to see the finished product. How do you plan on attaching them?

·
Premium Member
2,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That is great!! cant wait to see the finished product. How do you plan on attaching them?
I got the Ginz mounts separate from the ginz bar in a special deal... so I'll need to drill and tap a bolt hole into the bottom of the bar.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Bitchin man! You shoe horses on the side?:D

·
Premium Member
2,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
No horses, I am looking at a new career in architectural iron, sculpture, and other metalcraft. Burned out in IT.

I built the forge from a Chevy prism brake drum, some 2" pipe fittings, a harbor freight work carr(cart) for $39, and a hair dryer. Works awesome!

Took a Blackburn (blacksmith) workshop in upstate new York last weekend... Was a blast!

I hope to get some flame licks forged tomorrow but won't weld anything until I get an Argon tank for the mig. Don't want spatter on this thing.

·
Premium Member
4,152 Posts
looking good! kinda interested in this hobby also

·
Registered
97 Posts
Looks great, keep us posted. You have any other planned parts? Forward controls?

·
Premium Member
2,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The steel came from speedymetals.com... 2 36" pieces was $16. I went ahead and got 4 in case I screw up or want to make a different design.

I'll be curious to see how much chroming will cost.

Haven't really thought about forward controls... My legs are kind of short for being 6' tall, so the stockers are just about right for me.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Man... those are lookin' amazing! I am a fan!! If you do want to consider making something like that for sale, I'd like to talk... Even with the double bend you got done, they'd look amazing with the paint and integrated seat design I've been working up for my bike (which I'd hoped to have done by now, but had to put it on hold for a bit while I finished a tat and matching bike design for an old friend of mine... sigh). Anyway, I've been searching for a sissy bar that'd work into the overall design... and haven't seen anything... until now. Again... fabulous work!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts