Honda Fury Forums: banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know others have done a key mod or even one close to this but I wanted to show what I have done. First I bought a cigarette lighter skull from advanced auto for $7.99, some JB Weld $5.99 and use my dremel and cut off the cigarette lighter portion and then worked on getting the guts out of the inside of the skull head, had to do this because there was a piece of plastic glued inside of it which held the lighter portion to the head. It did take a little bit to get this done but I took my time to do this and get this done but overall I'm happy with how it turned out, I have the key setting up now, JB Weld said to let it set overnight so tomorrow I will come back and update this and let you know if the JB Weld held up. Enjoy and hope you find the pictures helpful in case you do this.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here's the second post so that I could post the rest of the pictures. Yeah I know the last picture with the finished product sucks but I couldn't get a good picture of it with the flash on or off, but you'll get an idea of what it looks like.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
355 Posts
Good job, man! Is the skull metal or plastic? I did mine with the keychain skull which looks to be about half the size of the lighter...

I'm planning to do another one as I hosed the angle of the key... when the key my key is turned on the skull is on it's side (if that makes sense) Here's a few crappy iphone pics:

The JB Weld is holding well so far!

This is the key all done

This is right after I put in the JB stickweld

This is BEFORE I hosed it checking to see that the key fit

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Great Idea

Great idea!

I was only just trying to work out what my next little Fury project would be (while I'm waiting for my Cobra Fuel Processor to turn up in the post).

Cheers.

Gary

PS. And I think that this will be (by far) the cheapest mod to the bike so far!!!!!! :eek:

Reactions: WI_Hedgehog

·
Registered
5,308 Posts
I hate to be the one to bring this up but this mod CAN NOT be done to the keys for the AU models as we have the Honda security system and there is a chip in the plastic handle of the key. If the chip is not sensed by the sensor ring the engine will not start.

·
Premium Member
5,764 Posts
I hate to be the one to bring this up but this mod CAN NOT be done to the keys for the AU models as we have the Honda security system and there is a chip in the plastic handle of the key. If the chip is not sensed by the sensor ring the engine will not start.
christ, man! i used to want to live in Oz ... but you got some crazy rulz for a country started by criminals ;)

VIN plates riveted on the bike
Security chips in motorcycle keys
Pointy spike air intakes are a no-no

WTF?!
Land of Mad Max? Really? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
cool. great idea!

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Not gonna lie...that's pretty damn clever.
Thank you sir! Yeah I had seen others doing key mods so figured since I got out of work early yesterday I would make a trip to the auto parts store and do something for the bike.

Good job, man! Is the skull metal or plastic? I did mine with the keychain skull which looks to be about half the size of the lighter...

I'm planning to do another one as I hosed the angle of the key... when the key my key is turned on the skull is on it's side (if that makes sense) Here's a few crappy iphone pics:

The JB Weld is holding well so far!

This is the key all done

This is right after I put in the JB stickweld

This is BEFORE I hosed it checking to see that the key fit
I think it was your posting of doing the key mod that got me motivated to do one. I believe that the skull is plastic, has a little weight to it, might even be some type of cast metal. Also I made sure to stick the key in the skull head and put it in the bike to make sure that when I had the bike started that the skull head was positioned right and then I JB Welded it it, I had gotten the steel and hardener in the tubes and had to mix it together and then used some popsicle sticks to put it in the hole with the key, wife had some from her projects laying around.

Great idea!

I was only just trying to work out what my next little Fury project would be (while I'm waiting for my Cobra Fuel Processor to turn up in the post).

Cheers.

Gary

PS. And I think that this will be (by far) the cheapest mod to the bike so far!!!!!! :eek:
Yeah you wouldn't be disappointed with doing it and it's a cheap little mod, but like was mentioned if you have a chip in your key you might not be able to do this.

Thank you for mentioning this as I hadn't thought of that for those that have the chip in the key.

nice job. i did this with a piston that used to be a lighter too!
Post a picture of it as someone might be interested in seeing how it looks instead of a skull.

OK, there's a step missing or I'm missing it in the text.
You went from this:

To this:

What is that piece around the key?
Yeah must have just missed it, it's JB Weld that I put inside the hole in the skull with the key, I do have to go back and clean the key up a little as I got some JB Weld on the key when putting it in with a popsicle stick.

What is that piece around the key?
THATS THE J-B WELD HOLDING THE KEY IN THE HOLE.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for clarifying for me.

cool. great idea!
Thank ya for the compliment!

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I had looked for something smaller but all they had was the cigarette lighter or a shift knob and the cigarette lighter one was smaller, guess I could have checked NAPA or one of the other part stores but that one was the closest so I just went there.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
I totally forgot about that. :eek:

Guess we're stuck with the original Honda key ....... :(

Does that mean that the US model doesn't have the HISS?

·
Registered
5,308 Posts
I totally forgot about that. :eek:

Guess we're stuck with the original Honda key ....... :(

Does that mean that the US model doesn't have the HISS?
That is correct the North American models do not come with or have the HISS as an option.

If you stuffed that chip in the key you'll be up for a fortune. Not sure about the EU models but I think HISS is available there.

·
Registered
5,308 Posts
christ, man! i used to want to live in Oz ... but you got some crazy rulz for a country started by criminals ;)

VIN plates riveted on the bike
Security chips in motorcycle keys
Pointy spike air intakes are a no-no

WTF?!
Land of Mad Max? Really? :rolleyes:
Yeah, we started off being a police state and nothing has changed. If Mad Max was real, he'd have been jailed at birth.

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I think it was prolly OhioFury69 - I grabbed the idea from his post! I love this mod because it's cool and cheap... just like me! :D
lol ain't that the truth, the cheaper the better, think my next projects are going to be throwing some paint of the engine and maybe the rotors, something like that, just have to get the time to do it between work and the wife and the "to do" list that I have for the house.

·
Premium Member
1,299 Posts
I would like to do one with the "F" stamped into the forehead like my patch.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts