Honda Fury Forums: banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,174 Posts
Wow. That sounds like a good universal controller. The nice thing about it is you don't need any additional sensors.

·
Premium Member
3,454 Posts
OMG, it's a joke, right?
if your bike is that screwed up then, yes, you need this.
in which case, you should never, ever touch a wrench, screwdriver, or even a pair of pliers again--never ever ever.

just go ride in your nice, warm, auto-tuning car and leave the motor bikes to the guys who can read.

skap
amazed.

·
Premium Member
6,731 Posts
That is a good find, would like to hear some reviews of it.

New patented technology unlike any other auto tune system on the market
Tunes to exactly what air-fuel mixture creates the maximum power 80 times per second (does not tune to some arbitrary AFR someone has picked). Creates that adjustment to maximum power on every squirt of the injector. It’s like having the best custom mar writing, dyno operator tuning your fuel every time you crank the throttle
Tunes every gear, every roll on, every environmental change, every engine mod, lugging the engine, winding it out to redline: it reacts, verifies and adjusts
No dyno needed
No external adjustments needed
Does not require wide band oxygen sensors No additional components needed
Provides perfect fuel settings in any condition with any exhaust system, with any engine modification

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I think its cool, but not $540 cool. Skeptical of how it works so well without any input sensors.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I agree is very expensive, but is new and they want to take advantage of the novelty, seems to me that the technology is changing very rapidly, but for who ever ride in different conditions and altitude may be worth it.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Interesting , wonder how it reads A/F ratio
Ya, me too. It would be very interesting to know how it determines combustion efficiency without a downstream AFR (O2) sensor. If it's actually doing that, then this is a major technological break-through. I will remain optimistically skeptical until I am told, and fully understand, how they are accomplishing this. And don't get too hung-up on altitude compensation, guys; you already have a sensor in your stock throttle-body which measures changes in air density, i.e. altitude, and your ECM dynamically corrects for these changes and arrives at what is called the Mass-Airflow. FWIW...............

Cheers

·
Registered
145 Posts
Like others here, I'd like to understand however it works... But if it does everything it claims to do... Very impressive... a fully dynamic controller... The price? Add the cost of a 'manual' controller plus dyno-tuning... that should be their retail (IMO).

·
Registered
2,153 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,704 Posts
Ya, me too. It would be very interesting to know how it determines combustion efficiency without a downstream AFR (O2) sensor. If it's actually doing that, then this is a major technological break-through. I will remain optimistically skeptical until I am told, and fully understand, how they are accomplishing this. And don't get too hung-up on altitude compensation, guys; you already have a sensor in your stock throttle-body which measures changes in air density, i.e. altitude, and your ECM dynamically corrects for these changes and arrives at what is called the Mass-Airflow. FWIW...............

Cheers
i dont see how it can read without a sensor.if it could it would be in every car on the market.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
i dont see how it can read without a sensor.if it could it would be in every car on the market.
Agreed, but stranger things have happened in the rapidly-evolving world of high-tech. I'm eagerly awaiting a detailed, technical description of how it works; until then, I remain optimistically cynical.

I would dearly like to get my hands on one, so that I could run it in real-time with my AFR gage, just to see if it's doing what they claim.

Cheers

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
Agreed, but stranger things have happened in the rapidly-evolving world of high-tech. I'm eagerly awaiting a detailed, technical description of how it works; until then, I remain optimistically cynical.

I would dearly like to get my hands on one, so that I could run it in real-time with my AFR gage, just to see if it's doing what they claim.

Cheers
Maybe a fancified Fi2000? A digital read out and an additional $350?

·
Premium Member
2,560 Posts
JFGI

"It autotunes using the crank sensor. It reads the crank acceleration 30-40 times a second and adjusts the pulse width to the injector constantly (each and every pulse). It continues to add fuel until it sees no improvement in crank acceleration. It never stops updating and adjusting the injector pulse width."

"They felt it was the better way to go than wide-band O2. They seemed to be quite impressed with it and believe that it's the best possible way to control the fuel."

“We weren’t real crazy about what everybody else had done, which was use a wide-band oxygen sensor to collect data so that they could tune,” Botting said. “In most cases, that requires drilling, grinding, modifying the exhaust systems that are on the bikes so that they can accept this wide-band oxygen sensor.”

Cobra spent 18 months developing a patented process requiring no external sensors. The PowrPro Tuner, Botting explained, can measure the rate of acceleration off the crankshaft and produce the same data as a dyno. “We took that data and married it to high-speed interactive fuel adjustment,” he said. “We create a virtual dyno graph in our software. At every squirt of the injector, we add fuel or subtract fuel and watch for an improvement in that graph. When we see an improvement, we keep it. We just keep going until we don’t see any improvement on the graph.

“So basically,” he continued, “We do the same thing electronically that you have with an experienced dyno operator. We just happen to be able to do it 60 or 80 times a second instead of maybe once every 15 minutes.”

The Fi2000R PowrPro Tuner can adjust the fuel injection system to any bike modification, Botting said.

Another way the device will benefit riders, Bussard explained, is by constantly adjusting to riding conditions. “If you’re riding uphill with a passenger on the back and just a headwind, it’s going to take that into account and give you the perfect horsepower for that,” he said. “If you’re going downhill with a tailwind, it’ll set so that you’re getting the most horsepower for those conditions.”

For track riders, the device will adjust the fuel injection to take into account contrasting winds on the straights.

“Every time the end user rolls on that throttle, it’s hunting and verifying that that bike is making the absolute maximum horsepower that it could achieve through air/fuel tuning,” Botting said.

The new Fi2000R will come with the same two year-warranty as the standard model. Retail pricing will be in the $500-to-$600 range, which Botting claimed is about $300 less than other auto-tune systems.

The easy installation will also lower the overall cost. Botting pointed out that all the late-model sportbikes have titanium head pipes onto which it’s difficult to weld a bung for a wide-band oxygen sensor. If the bike comes with oxygen sensors, he claimed, it nearly always has tiny 10 mm sensors, whereas the wide-band sensors are 18 mm. “So you’ve got some real installation issues with other auto-tune systems,” he said. “They create a real uphill battle when it comes to making the sale. This product doesn’t have any of those shortcomings.”

1 - 20 of 53 Posts