Honda Fury Forums: banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just so everyone has a grasp of most, if not all, of the parameters involved in doing a major performance hop-up on our Fury engines, allow me to throw-out the following for your consideration:

Our engines are both RPM and Speed-limited. There are two ECM-chip sub-routines which control these variables. Defeating/altering the first, the Rev-Limiter, would allow us to easily attain, say, 7,000 or even 8,000 RPM's; high-performance Harley's do it all the time. Right now, our Fury's power starts dying-off in the 4's, well before the Rev-Limiter kicks-in. This is because of our very mild cam and ignition timing, not our EFI's, which could easily support 10,000 RPM's. A cam with 20/30 or even 30/40 timing is needed to produce a big power-boost in the upper-R's. And, of course, the Ignition-Timing Module will need to be re-flashed to render about a 25º-30º BTDC spark advance. Jimmy Farris's bigger pistons would be optimal, and his stiffer, counter-progressively-wound valve springs would almost be mandatory. Our Valve-Port and Intake-Tract cross-sections are adequate for 7-8K, so a straight-forward port clean-up should suffice.

So, now we're making big, wheel-standing power, and can get to 100 MPH with alarming quickness, but we still can't go any faster until we re-program the V-chip ("quick" and "fast" are not the same animal). If RSS, or somebody, could re-program the V-chip, in addition to the changes discussed above, I have no doubt that our Fury's could easily, and safely, attain 130-140 MPH. And, no, gearing is not an issue.

The down-side of all this boost in power is that it'll move the power-band dramatically upward; heh, nothing comes without an off-setting cost. Your Fury will feel more like a "crotch-rocket"; nothing down low, everything up high.

The cost of doing all this would have to be (I'm guessing) in the $5-to-$6 K range, or more. Heh, as anybody who has ever done performance tuning will tell you, performance increases (especially big ones) are always measured in cubic dollars.

Cheers

·
Registered
3,409 Posts
Just so everyone has a grasp of most, if not all, of the parameters involved in doing a major performance hop-up on our Fury engines, allow me to throw-out the following for your consideration:

Our engines are both RPM and Speed-limited. There are two ECM-chip sub-routines which control these variables. Defeating/altering the first, the Rev-Limiter, would allow us to easily attain, say, 7,000 or even 8,000 RPM's; high-performance Harley's do it all the time. Right now, our Fury's power starts dying-off in the 4's, well before the Rev-Limiter kicks-in. This is because of our very mild cam and ignition timing, not our EFI's, which could easily support 10,000 RPM's. A cam with 20/50 or even 30/60 timing is needed to produce a big power-boost in the upper-R's. And, of course, the Ignition-Timing Module will need to be re-flashed to render about a 25º BTDC spark advance. Jimmy Farris's bigger pistons would be optimal, and his stiffer, counter-progressively-wound valve springs would almost be mandatory. Our Valve-Port and Intake-Tract cross-sections are adequate for 7-8K, so a straight-forward port clean-up should suffice.
So how much would it be just for doing this part?
I don't care to go over 100. I just wanna get there fast!

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
Great info. But I'm confused on the crotch rocket part. While my Ninja had a redline of 16,500 it had PLENTY down low. 1st gear was really tall though, at redline in 1st it would do just over 80.
The Fury is of course a WAY different animal. I love it the way it is.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
He is not refering to power, he is refering to the RPM range where the most power is made. My busa has a ton of low end power but once the RPMs got up it was like someone ignited a rocket on the back end.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
.......The Fury is of course a WAY different animal. I love it the way it is.
Ya, me too. But it sure would be nice to have punch through the gears; like Jimmy's and Snuffdog's.

Cheers

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My 'Busa has a ton of low end power but once the RPMs got up it was like someone ignited a rocket on the back end.
Do you still have your 'Busa? What an amazing machine! And cutting-edge technology all the way through. I'm envious!

Cheers

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just want to go fast and look sexy doing it!!
The sexy part's a given; now define "fast". Let's see, the World Land-Speed Record currently stands just north of 1.1 Mach (760+ MPH), and the quarter-mile is being done, routinely, in under 5 seconds. Which would you consider "fast"?

Cheers

·
Registered
77 Posts
The sexy part's a given; now define "fast". Let's see, the World Land-Speed Record currently stands just north of 1.1 Mach (760+ MPH), and the quarter-mile is being done, routinely, in under 5 seconds. Which would you consider "fast"?

Cheers
I define fast on the ground as when the dashed lines on the road your traveling on start to become solid your going fast.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I define fast on the ground as when the dashed lines on the road your traveling on start to become solid your going fast.
Good answer! LOL.

Cheers

1 - 11 of 11 Posts