Honda Fury Forums: banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
6,033 Posts
The heat range of a spark plug is indicated by a number, our bikes use a 6, 7 is colder and 5 is hotter. As long as the plug has the same heat range you should be fine. I switched to NGK iridium plugs some time ago as they made a huge difference in another bike I had, but on the Fury I did not notice any difference. However the iridium plugs last a lot longer. According to NGK their iridium IX plugs are rated at 40 to 50 thousand miles but in a stock motor the typical life is 60 to 80 thousand miles. Although they cost more upfront they are cheaper in the long run. For what it's worth Fiat spec iridium plugs for my 500 sport and suggest checking them every 30,000 KLM. At the first inspection they were still perfect so I cleaned them and put them back in. In 4000 KLM they are due to be inspected again so I'll see if they need changing. From what I have read on the Fiat forums I can expect 100,000 KLM out of them but I'll probably change them out at 90,000 KLM. The main thing is to use some copper anti seize grease when you put the plugs back in.

·
Administrator
3,842 Posts
The Fury is EFI so plugs don't make as much of a difference as one might expect. Generally the OEM plugs work best under all conditions, which is why they were chosen.

Electricity takes the shortest path, so only one of the three prongs on E3 will spark, usually the one that is bent in a little more than the others.

Iridium plugs were designed for vehicles where the plugs are near impossible to service, in normal vehicles like the Fury they don't matter much because the plugs are very accessible. If a person is going to "check the plugs" it's better to not use iridium because plugs have a crush gasket that's not technically reusable, so the plugs might as well be replaced anyway. Iridium plugs can be damaged easily, so cleaning them with a wire brush is precarious (they usually stay pretty clean anyway if the engine is running well).

"Cleaning the plugs" is kind of dangerous, if the plug is spent it's spent. If the ceramic on a used plug cracks it's going to trash the cylinder, so it's just not worth it to clean them.

Scotty Kilmer explains quite a bit about spark plugs (you might want to watch this before changing plug type):

·
Registered
611 Posts
The Fury is EFI so plugs don't make as much of a difference as one might expect. Generally the OEM plugs work best under all conditions, which is why they were chosen.

Electricity takes the shortest path, so only one of the three prongs on E3 will spark, usually the one that is bent in a little more than the others.

Iridium plugs were designed for vehicles where the plugs are near impossible to service, in normal vehicles like the Fury they don't matter much because the plugs are very accessible. If a person is going to "check the plugs" it's better to not use iridium because plugs have a crush gasket that's not technically reusable, so the plugs might as well be replaced anyway. Iridium plugs can be damaged easily, so cleaning them with a wire brush is precarious (they usually stay pretty clean anyway if the engine is running well).

"Cleaning the plugs" is kind of dangerous, if the plug is spent it's spent. If the ceramic on a used plug cracks it's going to trash the cylinder, so it's just not worth it to clean them.

Scotty Kilmer explains quite a bit about spark plugs (you might want to watch this before changing plug type):

THANK YOU!!

·
Administrator
3,842 Posts
I think there's nothing wrong with being very opinionated. :ROFLMAO:

LOL, he's pretty entertaining too. Hopefully the post helps a bunch of people who'd like to work on their own bikes and read the forum but don't participate much. (We're here for you silent readers, feel free to say 'hi.') :D

·
Banned
116 Posts
I think there's nothing wrong with being very opinionated. :ROFLMAO:

LOL, he's pretty entertaining too. Hopefully the post helps a bunch of people who'd like to work on their own bikes and read the forum but don't participate much. (We're here for you silent readers, feel free to say 'hi.') :D
Kilmer has been "spot on" on every video I've ever seen.

·
Registered
2010 Fury
258 Posts
Kilmer has been "spot on" on every video I've ever seen.
I must be the most contrary bastard ever, as I take issue with almost every non-technical rant Scotty has made regarding cage makes. E.g. he LOVES Toyotas. I HATE them. He hates Benzs. mine is the best ever. I suppose he comes from the single point of view of how easy they are to work on, given his background. I have actually owned most of them, so I have a more personal view.

Now his technical discussions are almost always on point. Hard to argue with that experience (but I will anyway :poop:)

·
Administrator
3,842 Posts
....E.g. he LOVES Toyotas. I HATE them. He hates Benzs. mine is the best ever. I suppose he comes from the single point of view of how easy they are to work on, given his background....
From the mechanical design, parts life longevity, and functional aspects of a daily driver, Toyota is the best, excepting the engine where Honda reigns supreme. (Honda makes their own transmission and is the "weak link" relative to their excellent craftsmanship, so a Toyota will generally outlast a Honda due to Toyota's transmission lasting longer.)

When it comes to the JBL stereo system (vs. Bose), or the over-all interior styling, or modern electronic features, Toyota sticks with what worked yesterday because it'll work today. :D

If you want a Luxury Toyota you have to buy a Lexus. However, Honda has Acura which is their luxury brand, so apples-to-apples you might want to go that route. Neither are Mercedes Benz level of luxury if you're looking for that, but then why are you driving a motorcycle?

·
Registered
2010 Fury
258 Posts
From the mechanical design, parts life longevity, and functional aspects of a daily driver, Toyota is the best, excepting the engine where Honda reigns supreme. (Honda makes their own transmission and is the "weak link" relative to their excellent craftsmanship, so a Toyota will generally outlast a Honda due to Toyota's transmission lasting longer.)

When it comes to the JBL stereo system (vs. Bose), or the over-all interior styling, or modern electronic features, Toyota sticks with what worked yesterday because it'll work today. :D

If you want a Luxury Toyota you have to buy a Lexus. However, Honda has Acura which is their luxury brand, so apples-to-apples you might want to go that route. Neither are Mercedes Benz level of luxury if you're looking for that, but then why are you driving a motorcycle?
OK Hedge, remember, you brought this on yourself...

You gotta be kidding!!! "Toyota is the best"???? You have been digesting too much of the mainstream car mags that get paid by TMC and Honda.
In reality, I have blown up 2 Honda motors in races where other marks (including ford pinto) did just fine on the original motor. You are right about the Honda (auto) transmissions. Shit.
Where do TMC and Honda excel? Selling small crap cars to people who are cross shopping a Nissan or Chevy spark/ ford focus/Kia/Hyundai. How do they "win"? as you posted...a better radio, more cup holders, iphone compatability et al. None of those features matter to people who appreciate engineering that will make a car last.
As you know by my post, I DO drive a MB. I appreciate the "luxury level" but more important to me was a car that would last 300K miles (diesel), do it with style, and good mileage at 100mph (30), and NOT downshift at the slightest press of the fun pedal. Unlike BMW, the MB diesel is not ridiculously complex and subject to dealer only service.

"Neither are Mercedes Benz level of luxury if you're looking for that, but then why are you driving a motorcycle?"

really??? you know the answer...one has nothing to do with the other.
Everyone compromises. Toyota is just as much a compromise as any other car. I choose to compromise on newness. I want a no-compromise ride (IMO), be it the Fury, or the MB, but willing to buy used as a compromise.

And Toyota sticks with what worked yesterday because it's cheaper than updating the line every year. Don't buy the hype, deal in facts.
I will agree that they build a better-than-average car/engine, and if I was shopping for an average grocery getter, I might be tempted into a dealership that was giving away hot dogs (hey, don't hate - I like hot dogs). It has never been my thing to buy average. Just no soul.

·
Administrator
3,842 Posts
OK Hedge, remember, you brought this on yourself...

You gotta be kidding!!! "Toyota is the best"???? You have been digesting too much of the mainstream car mags that get paid by TMC and Honda.
In reality, I have blown up 2 Honda motors in races where other marks (including ford pinto) did just fine on the original motor. You are right about the Honda (auto) transmissions. Shit.
Where do TMC and Honda excel? Selling small crap cars to people who are cross shopping a Nissan or Chevy spark/ ford focus/Kia/Hyundai. How do they "win"? as you posted...a better radio, more cup holders, iphone compatability et al. None of those features matter to people who appreciate engineering that will make a car last.
As you know by my post, I DO drive a MB. I appreciate the "luxury level" but more important to me was a car that would last 300K miles (diesel), do it with style, and good mileage at 100mph (30), and NOT downshift at the slightest press of the fun pedal. Unlike BMW, the MB diesel is not ridiculously complex and subject to dealer only service.

"Neither are Mercedes Benz level of luxury if you're looking for that, but then why are you driving a motorcycle?"

really??? you know the answer...one has nothing to do with the other.
Everyone compromises. Toyota is just as much a compromise as any other car. I choose to compromise on newness. I want a no-compromise ride (IMO), be it the Fury, or the MB, but willing to buy used as a compromise.

And Toyota sticks with what worked yesterday because it's cheaper than updating the line every year. Don't buy the hype, deal in facts.
I will agree that they build a better-than-average car/engine, and if I was shopping for an average grocery getter, I might be tempted into a dealership that was giving away hot dogs (hey, don't hate - I like hot dogs). It has never been my thing to buy average. Just no soul.
^^^THAT is a truly American answer. (y)

·
Registered
2011 Fury
799 Posts
Just my 2cents….. FUCK GERMAN CARS! Look great, have 1000% more luxury than any other consumer car …… however; they are NOT long lasting, ARE WAAAAAAAYYYYYYY over engineered, and cost nearly 2-3x what it costs to maintain a Jap car….. I’ve owned 3 MB, 1 C class an M class and S class all beautiful, rode fantastic but cost me nearly a Kung to maintain over the long term, my Hyundai went 350,000 miles with barely an oil change (being serious about that - never maintained the car more than absolutely needed). And as far as American cars go….. cars are garbage except for the vette and a couple other of the newer cars (older models exempt from that statement), trucks on the other hand are far superior to ANYTHING else made anywhere today! No one can fuck with americas truck market we da best.

·
6,033 Posts
Well, I'm with Scotty Kilmer on German cars. He claims they are endless money pits as they age and from my father's experience with BMW and MB I have to agree 100% with Scotty. I had a good experience with a 93/94 Nissan 300ZX (made in Japan), 90 Nissan Skyline (made in Australia), 90 Nissan Pulsar (made in Australia), 02 Ford KA (made in Spain) and my current car a 2015 Fiat 500 sport (made in Poland). My Wife has always had a good experience with Hyundai and right now she has a 2015 Hyundai iX35 (made in Korea). Our Fiat and Hyundai have needed nothing more than regular service and tyres in the seven years we have owned them and we plan on hanging on to them as long as we can.

The old Aussie Holdens, Fords and Chryslers from the 70s were fun but they weren't "great" cars. Sure they were fast in a straight line but they rusted while you looked at them and you can forget about going around corners or stopping.

·
Premium Member
1,881 Posts
:censored:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts